Impressed with the AD700
Feb 4, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, pray tell, where did you Kiwis get AD700s?
biggrin.gif

you could probably get them from Headphonic if you find the prices acceptible...

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #18 of 40
Why don't you chumps just consolidate or create a AD700 appreciation thread. As it is seems to me recently there have been numerous AD700 threads that pretty much say the same thing over and over.

But awesome to find another Audio Technica aficionado.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 40
@crikey: hi there, i noticed in your sig that you use the E5 with your AD700s. does the AD700 sound better with the E5? i know "better" is pretty subjective but would love to hear your thoughts.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 40
Bah, now you guys have me curious of the AT sound. But from what I gather, this is more of a "polite Grado," and I'm looking for something that can balance out/compliment the overall brightness of a Grado can (SR225). Believe me, listening to Alison Krauss on Grados is not pleasantly seductive at all when she hits those high notes.
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 40
I am considdering the ad700 as my first set of good headphones along with the zero DAC.

I am worried that these headphones will be too big for me though. I have a small head. I also hear that these dig into your temples a bit.

So are they comfertable? and Will they fit someone with a small head?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 40
Audio Technica AD series comfort wise are unmatched I think. The wing design is so simple, yet so comfy.

For your Zero, please be very cautious. Its been stated quality control among Zeros are non-existent. So be very sure who you are purchasing it from. And also no warranties. And also the difference between having a functional headphone and having a fried headphone, literally.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #24 of 40
I'm actually having a problem with the comfort of them. I appear to be in the minority though. My recommendation is buy them somewhere where you can return them. I have another 2 weeks left to return mine and am still trying to get a good fit. (They are too lose on my head and when I use the rubberband to get a tighter fit I get too much pressure from the 3dwings) I would say my head is slightly on the narrow side. I wish they had a normal headband on them like the DT880's. Is there a headphone with the DT880's style/comfort that has the performance/soundstage of the AD700 for $150ish?

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@crikey: hi there, i noticed in your sig that you use the E5 with your AD700s. does the AD700 sound better with the E5? i know "better" is pretty subjective but would love to hear your thoughts.

I can tell you the E5 and AD700 make an excellent pair. Although I'm finding I like the E5 with everything.
atsmile.gif

The bass boost in the E5 is perfect for making these already balanced cans even more balanced. I will comment once again that the E5 is better than much bigger and more expensive amps. Unless you want to get really hi-fi, I wouldn't try anything else. (I feel like I've been preaching this a lot. I'm not getting paid for this, really.)

Seriously, I've been on this amp quest lately and I can't seem to find anything that comes close to the E5. I should've just been happy with my E5 and AD700 combo and saved all my money.

I have a feeling people (not just head-fiers) buy a piece of audio equipment, then train their brains to think they like it more than the cheap thing they replaced so their purchase can be justified.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound alright with the E5, but not much of an improvement if you ask me. I much prefer using my CmoyBB that I built with the AD700's. It brings out the bass that my computer or my PMP couldn't bring out alone. These headphones have quite a bit of bass, they just require the right gear to extract it from them.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound alright with the E5, but not much of an improvement if you ask me. I much prefer using my CmoyBB that I built with the AD700's. It brings out the bass that my computer or my PMP couldn't bring out alone. These headphones have quite a bit of bass, they just require the right gear to extract it from them.

Interesting. I felt like my BioScienceGeek cMoy couldn't bring in the low bass that my E5 can and preferred the E5 overall. Have you ever compared your cMoy with the BSG? I wonder if they're terribly different.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burninate35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also hear that these dig into your temples a bit.

Not true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling people (not just head-fiers) buy a piece of audio equipment, then train their brains to think they like it more than the cheap thing they replaced so their purchase can be justified.

Quite true.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But awesome to find another Audio Technica aficionado.

True. We need more of us.
smile.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you guys don't remember, but 2 yrs ago the A900 (closed) was hearlded as the gaming headphone to get..Word of mouth got so big, audio cubes, advertised the A900 on their front page, saying how great they are for gaming. All of a sudden the closed versions are inferior..Now the gaming can to get are the AD700s. Then again, I remember people on head fi telling me how crappy the ultrasone headphones are.

I wouldn't say they are inferior. They are both great for gaming and I find that odd considering how different they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back