Impressed with the AD700
Feb 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #31 of 40
What is so different? The only thing I can tell by from reading and not having heard the open version is that the closed version has quicker bass response and maybe more artificial sounding separation between instruments. The AD700s are also often described as lacking bass but I don't think you could say the same about the A700s.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #32 of 40
hmm I really wanted these but my head is on the small side, and I feel like it would either fall off or press into my temples. I also feel like there are no options that come close to these under $250.

I think I may have to get the senn hd555.

I do not want to do that but I see no other option.

And now i do not fee like getting the zero dac because I am hearing that they are sketchy. but that is another problem.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #33 of 40
My friend's so in love with these cans that he's considering picking up another pair so that he has one for the home and one for work. He's just gushing about the sound quality and how he never, ever thought you could get sound this good for just over a hundred bucks.

It was fun listening to him talkin' 'bout going through all his old recordings to hear them like anew (sound famaliar?). He said he listened for a couple of hours each night and the comfort level never got bad.

When he told me about picking up a second pair, I suggested that he maybe try something a bit different. Ying/Yang thing. Right now, it's going to be something sans headamp, though.

So I might be asking for some suggestions on his behalf soon.

BTW, I'm still considering picking up a pair for work to listen straight out of an iPod. After listening to the AD700's for about an hour on Tuesday my Shure 530's just didn't do the trick.

Wanting something I might be able to use without an amp, and looking at my Proline 2500's and finding out they're pretty similar in efficiency, I took that in yesterday. So totally different sounding. The Prolines had that, "I'm listening in the studio" feel and the AD700's sounded like all the outdoors; spacious and three-dimensional. Both good, but so totally different in their sonic presentation.

The only thing I didn't like about the AD700 was that if I moved my head (like looking down at my keyboard then up at the monitor) it felt a bit loose on my head; not to the point of it falling off, but it had the "it's starting to slip off" feel.

Other than that, I think the 700's a total winner.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #34 of 40
Yes, they're loose phones. You can tighten that by slipping a rubber band beneath the wings to draw them together. I've never done that, because I like the loose fit, but if I had a smaller head, I'd consider it.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@crikey: hi there, i noticed in your sig that you use the E5 with your AD700s. does the AD700 sound better with the E5? i know "better" is pretty subjective but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thought I'd chip in with a very late reply. I bought the E5 mostly for on the move use because of its small size and because of its base boost. Like what Rex81 as said it fixes what some consider to be a negative for the AD700s: a lack of bass. It adds more lower end weight to the music especially for electronica genres like nu jazz (Listening to St. Germain just sounds amazing with bass boost on).

Like iareConfusE though, I'd say that for most genres the AD700s have a sufficient amount of bass and they really come out when they are need given the source that you use (eg. say a lean source like the Cowon D2 would make the lack of bass even more profound).

I can't attest whether the E5s without bass boost significantly improves the AD700s because I haven't spent too much time A/Bing between the 2 modes and I can't say whether other amps have better bass boosts (I've only owned the E3s and E5s). But I will say that it is a cheap way to add some more bass if you want it (Of course you could always buy the E3 if you really must. Cheapskate
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is so different? The only thing I can tell by from reading and not having heard the open version is that the closed version has quicker bass response and maybe more artificial sounding separation between instruments. The AD700s are also often described as lacking bass but I don't think you could say the same about the A700s.

Open = Great soundstage, forward mids, neither bright nor dark, transparent, quick, a bit of Grado sound in them. Tight but not so strong bass.

Closed = Much smaller soundstage, recessed mids, dark, veiled, not as quick as the AD700, sounds more like a Senn. Stronger bass.

I think you'll struggle to find in what way they are similar. Other than that they do have the ATH coloration in their mids.

And yes, the A700/A900 are certainly lacking bass when compared to the closed back peers like the D2000/DT770. Its bass is one of the most polite among the mid-end closed backs.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open = Great soundstage, forward mids, neither bright nor dark, transparent, quick, a bit of Grado sound in them. Tight but not so strong bass.

Closed = Much smaller soundstage, recessed mids, dark, veiled, not as quick as the AD700, sounds more like a Senn. Stronger bass.

I think you'll struggle to find in what way they are similar. Other than that they do have the ATH coloration in their mids.

I'd say that is pretty close to my impressions except I don't recall the A700 sounding veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back