Impress your friends with nice HP box
Aug 6, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lad27

500+ Head-Fier
Impress your friends when you come to the next Head-Fi meet!

I was looking for a while for a storage solution for set of cans currently not in use. Some nice wooden box for Darths, perhaps. Well, what I found out was that these boxes can get rather expensive, if you can find one with proper dimensions. There's a lot of "jewelry wood boxes" around, all of them too shallow to accommodate Beyer size phones.
So I took the matter into my own hands. On the recent trip to local Kmart store I spotted this $25 suede box in two colors and two sizes. I picked up the smaller one, orange-y sort of color, the other one was dark brown.

P1060408.jpg

Dimensions are 300x200x100mm. Other material needed is some nice fabric. Off I went to local fabric shop. Needless to say I was the only guy there and I tell you I got couple of raised brow looks when I started eying and touching all the nice and soft satin rolls. Anyway got one square meter of sort of pale gold looking one for $4 dollars.

Another item is piece of foam; found one in my garage, on the firmer side, but good thickness (50mm/2in).

Short trip to local hardware store got me 2 small brass hinges for $2.60 (without screws, 4 holes 3.2mm or 1/8" dia.). Marked up 8 holes, drilled thru with 3.2mm drill bit, and pop-riveted with 1/8" aluminium rivets (suitable for 0.8-5mm thickness). I had riveter and rivets laying around, no cost incurred. Could use small brass screws and nuts, rivets looks neater IMO.

Next, cut foam to size, put your headphones on it and make an outline with thick whiteboard marker. Cut out the foam. Sharper the knife, cleaner the cut. Don't worry if it is not quite perfect, fabric will mask it. For the headband bit, I cut the offcut lengthwise in half (to get a half depth compared to cups) in inserted back.

Put headphones in to check for correct fit, re-trim here and there until happy.
Don't forget to oversize the cut a little to allow for fabric thickness.

Cut fabric to 500x500 put over the foam, fold it, crease it, massage it until you happy with visual impact of shiny satin folds.
wink.gif

Last, you can optionally glue whole thing together, I just squirted some craft glue around the sides. Be careful not to stain the visible surface of fabric, glue will leave some ungainly looking stains.
eek.gif
I got it right second time.

And for around $AU30 and 2 hours of my time I ended up with this.

P1060436.jpg

Darth Snakes feel really happy in their new home. And Denons D2000 fit into the same bed perfectly:

P1060417.jpg

I haven't done it yet, but the inside of the lid looks like perfect place to glue in some photo/poster of your favorite band/singer/pet/playmate/kids/mother-in-law etc.
cool.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 14
Yes, nice work!

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 14
That does look nice, very professional. Although I would do something about those rivets. By the way where abouts in Aus are you?

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does look nice, very professional. Although I would do something about those rivets. By the way where abouts in Aus are you?

Nowra mate. I think these boxes are called Homemaker Edition.

Yeah, I will think of something to mask these rivets (self adhesive velcro stripes perhaps)

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 14
SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 14
I always thought that a nice box is better than a nice headphone stand and this proves it. Will be on the lookout for boxes the next time i am at the hypermarket
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Sweet. I think I'm going to have to try something similar to this. Timber box would be nice tho... will see what my brother can craft up for me. I'm more of a black felt man myself (rather than silk). Ah, that's the great thing about DIY - make it the way you like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back