Impossible to solder enamelled wire!
May 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
In my collection I have a pair of Sony CD1700s. They were excellent phones. A couple of years ago, for some obscure reason, I snipped the plug off to replace it with a new one. I have never in all that time been able to solder the wires so they have just sat there until I tried, and failed again, today.

I understand the wires are enamel coated. There are also hundreds of strands of some kind of soft fibre in there too.

I have attempted melting the enamel with a flame until the wire is white, sandpapered, scraped with blades, melted on aspirins, cleaned with a whole array of cleaners and still I can't get the tiniest micro dot of solder to cling.

Before I put them on the classifieds with this warning attached, is there anything else I can try?

May 4, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a temp controlled soldering iron can melt the enamel off, or a solder pot, which is easiest.

And what sort of temperature would I need to set it at?

May 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 23
Lighter. Burn it off, and then scrap off the ash/crust crap.

Someone else mentioned here to put a piece of small, wet paper towel just below where you are going to burn- as to not burn anything more than what you want.

May 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lighter. Burn it off, and then scrap off the ash/crust crap.

Tried it. Numerous times over the last couple of years. Doesn't work.
frown.gif

May 4, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried it. Numerous times over the last couple of years. Doesn't work.
frown.gif

Then use a 'jet' type lighter.

Like this one:
DealExtreme: $2.78 Jet 1300-C Butane Lighter

Personally I just dip it in flux and heat it with the same 700f soldering tip i use for 99% of my soldering.

May 5, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 23
Seperate out all the white fibres, bunch them together and cut them off. For the enamel, as has been said, scrape it off with a stanley or knife or heat it with the soldering iron.

Both have worked for me, it is a bit of a pain, but the again I've never liked doing cables anyway.

May 6, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 23
Dipping the wire in paste flux first, helps alot. I made an easy solder pot by unscrewing the tip of a cheap Weller solder pencil and clamping it to stand upright, letting it heat up, and filling the tip with solder. Can't use it for anything else after that, but a miniture solder pot is damn handy. Dip the fluxed tip of the wires into the liquid pool of solder till you see the solder take to the wire.

May 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 23
I'll second the sandpaper. Just lightly rub the end until a couple millimeters is clean. Holding the iron on the wire might melt the enamel, but it also might oxidize the copper wire.

Try both, see which one works.

May 6, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 23
I've used a chemical enamel stripper to remove it. Go to the hardware store and look for a paint stripper that will remove enamel. That will do it.

You can use a small hobby brush to apply the stripper exactly where you want. After stripping BE SURE to clean off the rest of the stripper - use what the label says to neutralize.

For one, you don't want stripper on your hands. Two, you DO NOT want to heat up and/or ignite leftover stripper with your soldering iron.

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dipping the wire in paste flux first, helps alot. I made an easy solder pot by unscrewing the tip of a cheap Weller solder pencil and clamping it to stand upright, letting it heat up, and filling the tip with solder. Can't use it for anything else after that, but a miniture solder pot is damn handy. Dip the fluxed tip of the wires into the liquid pool of solder till you see the solder take to the wire.

Neat idea, sounds lie I need to find an Ebay sacrificial Lamb!

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 23
I little trick I picked up from the R/C guys is to put the wire on top of an aspirin tablet and then put the iron on top of that. The aspirin will chemically remove the enamel in a few seconds. Don't breath the smoke and you must use aspirin. Anything else wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back