Import Tax NEED SOME ADVICE AT THIS VERY MOMENT
May 28, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #16 of 25
You guys are complaining because you don't live in Brazil.

Here we have to pay taxes that are, depending of the State you live, 60% to 100% of the value (and that includes shipping).

It's horrible.

May 28, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 25
What do you guys think I should do? I'm thinking of valueing it at 200$ (it's worth 340$). Because if I value it for say 10$ I won't be able to insure it. And if I value it at 200$ it will be insured for 200$, but then I will probably have to pay import tax.
Any advice?

May 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #18 of 25
Well, there is a way ...

You have to be a US citizen [like ME], who is in Europe [like ME] and is dependent of US Army [like ME], and you dont pay any taxes [like ME] and EU customs dont even see the package [like MINE], and you pay US domestic shipping rates [like ME] ....

... BUT thats me, other guys have to pay what your country import tax IS etc ...

May 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 25
Hah you're a lucky guy komi!

But if I value it at say 50$. What are the odds of the package getting lost/stolen. And is there any chance of getting in trouble because of me valueing it at 50$???

May 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 25
Its always a choice between full insurance or lower declared value.
The choice of a parcel getting lost is quite slim, but you never know. So depends what you value the most

May 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't ever let the seller put on the actual value on the box. It creates the opportunity for someone of working for the mail to think "Hey, that might be worth looking at!"
It also raises flags at the customs and they will take their sweet time inspecting it. I'm talking about 3 ~ 5 weeks.

Be very careful with this, especially with larger packages. If they do inspect the package at random, then you can potentially get into a lot of trouble. I learned my lesson with this and now I ask every seller to put the real value.

May 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 25
Have the seller put a moderate value on it, and cop the tax. Welcome to non-free society.

May 29, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #23 of 25
Without getting political, can anyone tell me why there are these HUGE import fees in most countries? Is it a revenue generator, or is it to protect local markets? Whatever the case is, it sucks big time. I can't imagine how much it must cost some of the more well off international people on this forum to import some of the more expensive stuff from other countries.

May 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without getting political, can anyone tell me why there are these HUGE import fees in most countries? Is it a revenue generator, or is it to protect local markets? Whatever the case is, it sucks big time. I can't imagine how much it must cost some of the more well off international people on this forum to import some of the more expensive stuff from other countries.

Everything is political. It is primarily revenue based with secondary social considerations.

It is to protect local distributors and retailers since they pay taxes and employ people who pay taxes to the government. The more sales are made within the country, the more revenue is generated. This has the secondary consideration of more voters being employed and doing better, thus being happier and less likely to vote for change.

The government also wants their tax dollars if you choose to purchase from outside the country. Customs fees and duties in addition to taxes are to discourage purchases from outside the country and so that any processing expenses are incurred by the individual and not the bureaucracy.

I won't get into the political arguments about why things are cheaper in other countries. Some are valid and some aren't. And yes, I try to purchase within my own country first, but have bought goods cheaper from outside more than occasionally since I'm not completely altruistic.

May 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything is political. It is primarily revenue based with secondary social considerations.

It is to protect local distributors and retailers since they pay taxes and employ people who pay taxes to the government. The more sales are made within the country, the more revenue is generated. This has the secondary consideration of more voters being employed and doing better, thus being happier and less likely to vote for change.

The government also wants their tax dollars if you choose to purchase from outside the country. Customs fees and duties in addition to taxes are to discourage purchases from outside the country and so that any processing expenses are incurred by the individual and not the bureaucracy.

I won't get into the political arguments about why things are cheaper in other countries. Some are valid and some aren't. And yes, I try to purchase within my own country first, but have bought goods cheaper from outside more than occasionally since I'm not completely altruistic.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a feeling it was something along the lines of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back