Import Tax NEED SOME ADVICE AT THIS VERY MOMENT
May 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

spickerish

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
Do you have to pay tax if you buy something secondhand on Head-Fi?? I live in europe but almost everything in the For Sale section is from the US.
And if you do, are there any ways with which you don't have to pay (like the 'gift' trick)?

Anybody with any experience with import tax?

May 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 25
Your national government should have a Web site dedicated to these matters. One would hope that the answers to your questions would be addressed there.

May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 25
Don't know the EU import tax regulations, but up here (Norway) we have to pay 25% VAT on the declared value. Plus ~$15 for paperwork

May 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 25
Like I was saying about your national government having a Web site dedicated to these matters:

Internet purchases

May 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 25
Don't ever let the seller put on the actual value on the box. It creates the opportunity for someone of working for the mail to think "Hey, that might be worth looking at!"
It also raises flags at the customs and they will take their sweet time inspecting it. I'm talking about 3 ~ 5 weeks.

May 26, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 25
Has any of you ever had to pay taxes when you bought something secondhand from the US via Head-Fi??

May 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 25
I have.

In Europe you'll pay VAT plus some "paperwork" chargenormally between 5 and 15 euros.

Some products also pay other taxes, like car radios (which are much much cheaper in the US) to be imported and destroy regular distribution channels.

As others have said, check your country's regulations. There should be a website about that.

This said, I've also bought things which didn't pay taxes, mostly from private sellers(like the FS forums) and they shipped as gift and low value.

May 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Taxes are going to vary depending on what country you live in, the country of origin and what the item is. It's complex and no answer will cover all situations.

I also don't recommend lying on the declaration about what is in the box. You are better off with an honest description that isn't all that eyecatching or appealing. Instead of writing down "headphones" and declaring them at $500 will get attention and possibly be stolen. On the other hand, listing them as "audio transducers with misaligned voicecoil for service or replacement" will be a big turnoff. Thieves don't want to repair what they steal and probably won't know what the hell a transducer is. But if it ever came down to it, the description would be honest. You could always say the misaligned voicecoil must have bumped back into place during shipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 25
Wow that is pretty smart Uncle E.
Thanks for the tip.

May 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 25
Uncle Erik. I really like that one!
smile.gif

Cause as you say it don't "show-off", but are still accurate enough if needed.

May 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 25
In need of a quick reply here
tongue_smile.gif

I'm about to buy a headphone from the US worth $340.
For how much should I declare it (don't wanna pay tax)???
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 25
The shipper must declare the value, not you.

Remember, If you ask a shipper to declare a value of $30 or so, that's all he can insure it for. So in the case it gets lost, damaged or stolen, the shipper can only collect on what he claimed... if you and he agree that insurance should be purchased.

The shipper has no responsibility to pay you the full amount ...in the case of lost, stolen, or damage... if you ask him devalue an item on a customs form. You must be willing to take that chance.

Take Uncle Erik's advice above. However, I did exactly what Uncle Erik suggested when I sold an item to a Canadian a few months ago -- I claimed the item was repaired goods of a Canadian citizen. The buyer was STILL hit for import duties.

May 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also don't recommend lying on the declaration

On the other hand, listing them as "audio transducers with misaligned voicecoil for service or replacement" will be a big turnoff.

You could always say the misaligned voicecoil must have bumped back into place during shipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

that would be lying
wink.gif

i) had intended to decieve and ii) carrier relied on your deceptive description

sounds like lying to me
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would be lying
wink.gif

i) had intended to decieve and ii) carrier relied on your deceptive description

sounds like lying to me
wink.gif

Not really, just being careful with the descriptionand using technical terms. If you're uncomfortable with repair, try service and cleaning. Those are plenty vague.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back