Impedance optimization
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, so we're going for the vintage design look.... very... uhm... retro!
biggrin.gif

But of course!

In addition to the reclaimed barn wood, I also have a sheet of some linen phenolic laminate for the panel, and a big ass, but way cool NOS bakelite knob for the switch.
atsmile.gif

k

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 35
Here's a photo of two of the big ass knobs on a partially completed prototype passive preamp I did for a friend of mine some years back. They're 2" at the base if the skirt. Very art deco looking.

bigknobs.jpg

k

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #18 of 35
I got a nice 200 ohm adapter made to use with a couple of my OTL tube amps that have a higher output impedance. It works very well. I really like the idea of a variable box with ultra-high quality resisters in it, though.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a nice 200 ohm adapter made to use with a couple of my OTL tube amps that have a higher output impedance.

Am I reading you right? You had a 200 ohm adapter made for use with OTL amps that already have a high output impedance?

Quote:

I really like the idea of a variable box with ultra-high quality resisters in it, though.

Me too. Let me know when you finish it.
atsmile.gif

k

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I reading you right? You had a 200 ohm adapter made for use with OTL amps that already have a high output impedance?

LOL - no, didn't say that right I guess - what I did was add impedance (in series of course) to the headphone so that the amp sees a 250 ohm load instead of a 50 ohm load.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - no, didn't say that right I guess - what I did was add impedance (in series of course) to the headphone so that the amp sees a 250 ohm load instead of a 50 ohm load.

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, that's an instance where an output transformer or autoformer WOULD be of some benefit (see my post to Uncle Erik earlier). A 2:1 step down would reflect your 50 ohms back to the amp as 200 ohms, and with a bit of winding resistance, actually closer to 250 ohms. And your 50 ohm cans would be driven from a lower impedance than with 200 ohm resistors.

The one thing I'd worry about though would be the coupling cap on the OTL's output. If it's too small, it can interact with the transformer's primary inductance and give you a bit of a bump in the lowest frequencies.

Though I guess that's not inherently a BAD thing, depending on where you're starting from.
atsmile.gif

k

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 35
That's an interesting idea to be sure. I may investigate that further. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it would be more like 60 Ohms (62 to be exact) of the "bass shy" K701, but I do agree this is a great idea.
k701smile.gif

...definitely better than my alternative idea of three or more adapters (30, 60, 90... Ohms).

That's not a promising idea, looking at the K 701's impedance response...

graphCompare.php

What you'd get is a slight decrease of low bass and upper mids as well as a slight increase of upper treble... but not really worth the effort and the loss of efficiency and not what you really want.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, that's pretty damn flat.

k

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some sort of a box that would go between the amp and headphone cable which would allow the user to vary the resistance while listening to dial in the ideal sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's pretty damn flat.
k

So next step : make a device that can control the frequency response of all headphones whatever their impedance, an call it "tone control".

Next step : make the frequency selectable, as well as the width of the correction, and call it "parametric equalizer".

Then, if you want to make a device that works the other way, that is make the amplifier response flatter, instead of more coloured, just call it "headphone amplifier"
atsmile.gif

No joking : tone controls and headphone amplifiers are designed to do exactly what you want to do, in a much more reliable and reproductible way.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So next step : make a device that can control the frequency response of all headphones whatever their impedance, an call it "tone control".

yikes.gif
yikes.gif
yikes.gif
yikes.gif

k

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What you'd get is a slight decrease of low bass and upper mids as well as a slight increase of upper treble... but not really worth the effort and the loss of efficiency and not what you really want.

That all depends on the amp and how it drives a headphone at a given load. With most amps, the graph is a straight, diagonal line. The lower the impedance, the more current it outputs. The higher the impedance, the less current. With the Phoenix, however, which is the amp I'm using and thus why I felt an adapter would be of benefit and it is, the graph isn't a straight line but a curve. It puts out more power with 100 ohm headphones than it does with 25 ohms or 300 ohms. Very unconventional amp design, to be sure! (and probably has to do with the SATRI circuits)

Phoenix output:
25 ohm: 1000MW
62 ohm: 2500MW
100 ohm: 3000MW
300 ohm: 1800MW
600 ohm: 900MW

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That all depends on the amp and how it drives a headphone at a given load. With most amps, the graph is a straight, diagonal line. The lower the impedance, the more current it outputs. The higher the impedance, the less current. With the Phoenix, however, which is the amp I'm using and thus why I felt an adapter would be of benefit and it is, the graph isn't a straight line but a curve. It puts out more power with 100 ohm headphones than it does with 25 ohms or 300 ohms. Very unconventional amp design, to be sure! (and probably has to do with the SATRI circuits)

Phoenix output:
25 ohm: 1000MW
62 ohm: 2500MW
100 ohm: 3000MW
300 ohm: 1800MW
600 ohm: 900MW

The power rating numbers seem to be due to nothing more than simple current limiting.

The Phoenix has a rated output voltage of 24 volts RMS max. 24 across 600 ohms is 960 mW. 24 volts across 300 ohms is 1.92 W. Very close to the specified ratings. Factor in a bit of output impedance and they'll come down to the actual specified ratings.

At the bottom end of the scale, 200 mA into 25 ohms is 1 watt. 200 mA into 62 ohms is 2.48 watts. Virtually right on the money, and the power rating figures all make perfect sense.

So basically, while the Phoenix can output 24 volts RMS, it's output current is limited to 200mA.

k

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 35
Just guessing, but since what he seems to be limiting is current delivery, perhaps it is to keep the output devices within their safe operating limits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back