iModders, Is This How It Is?
Aug 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh ? it must be 1.8".

well, i wouldn't be talking about putting it back in the ipod, but making a new enclosure for the entire thing- Wouldn't be quite as portable but...still..

I'll probably have to pick up a cable to convert the two... I'm hoping power will be sufficient for the 2.5"

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
80 gig iPod...

$350

iMod...

$250

Cotton ALO...

$175

S&H+ins...

$40

Sonic Bliss...

Priceless.

I am so darn tempted.

My calculation is as follows:
30 gig iPod 4g...

$obsolete, obtained from girl friend

iMod...
$diy, 0

Cotton ALO...
$replace with diy silver ic, could only be better

parts...
$BG nx-hi-q $2*2 = 4
S&H+ins...
$10

overall satisfaction:
Priceless.

lol

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 51
pkjames, would love to hear about your DIY iMod. It's certainly possible, but forgive my skepticism. It took a lot of R&D for Vinnie and also for the sgheadphones guys to get the iMod in a proper form.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 4gen ipod (the one used for the imod) also is the only one with the wolfson dac

eh? correct me if i am wrong, but other gens of ipod use wolfson dacs also, not just exclusively the 4th gen, the 4th gen uses the wolfson WM8975 dac, which is highly regarded. but other gens use wolfson dacs, just differing revisions/versions

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh? correct me if i am wrong, but other gens of ipod use wolfson dacs also, not just exclusively the 4th gen, the 4th gen uses the wolfson WM8975 dac, which is highly regarded. but other gens use wolfson dacs, just differing revisions/versions

Thats the same as what I've heard!

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 51
double post ....

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pkjames, would love to hear about your DIY iMod. It's certainly possible, but forgive my skepticism. It took a lot of R&D for Vinnie and also for the sgheadphones guys to get the iMod in a proper form.

well, they may have a bit more than just changing the output capacitor, but as an ee myself, I am sure that is what they have done, more or less, but major work is around the output couping capacitor.
Of course, they may not want people to know too much about the essential part, because in theory, anyone with a good electrical background can do the mod. Not exactly as the RWA version though.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$815 for a DAP is absolutely sick . . .

Take the money and buy yourself a real source!

THANK YOU! Finally someone with some sense.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 51
Some people don't have the room for 2 setups and want their rig to be portable at least.
In that sense, getting an iMod is not so senseless, if you want the current best there is.

Plus they even say that the iMod can be as good as some expensive CDP's.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THANK YOU! Finally someone with some sense.

What portable source do you recommend that runs 10+ hours on a charge, has 80GB+ storage for lossless, is easily obtainable, and has fool proof ripping/incremental uploading software? Oh, and it has to drive full sized cans.

Bonus points if the same software also connects wirelessly to a low-noise, low-profile device in my den and publishes its content to an internal drive so my laptop can be turned off yet the device still plays tracks through my AV system.

Besides, $815 isn't that much if you compare it to going to a couple of football/hockey games, going to a few concerts, putting tires on a car, etc. Sure you can get something cheaper but in the end, what you have is something cheaper. Spend your money on something that makes you happy.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #30 of 51
You know I have the 4th gen iMod and bought it right around the time Vinnie started to intro the 5th gen. At first I was a little disappointed, but I actually have no upgrade craving on this one. I like the 4th gen. For a dap this pricey I have no interest in using disc space for video- this is exclusively for music and I also like that I don't need a bulky line out. A simple IC with right angles is so much more discreet and has better appearance. I really believe the 4th gen will be the vintage model of this line even as Vinnie upgrades with apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back