iMod vs Nationite s:flo²
Jul 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

laxmictr895

New Head-Fier
Hopefully this is in the right forum.

I personally do a lot of traveling and strenuous activities and carrying an audio source with an external amp/dac (besides the pico slim) would be too much to lug around. So I was wondering if anyone here could give me some insight on which of the two sources has better sound quality.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 11
The iMod requires an amp, so this comparison isn't really good. An iPod 5 or 4G are pretty good, the 5 being better, but it isn't as good as the S:Flo without an amp (HPO). If you want best sound possible from the HPO between these two devices, get the S:Flo, but realise that it rolls off the treble a bit. Some people won't notice it. Adn with some headphones, it won't be noticeable or very very little. It was the first thing I noticed though.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Is it possible to connect an iMod 5G to this:
http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_9&products_id=43

then connect jh16's directly to that dock? or is an amp required?

I assume so, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose? You said you want small and that an amp would ruin the portable experience. If you want to compare an iPod touch HPO to the S:Flo, that makes a lot more sense to me: both are good, both have great LO signals, and both have very small amounts of hiss. That comparison is fair.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 11
well i wouldn't mind that little dock connector protruding from the ipod. if an amp is required even with that dock then you're right it does defeat the purpose and I would have to look into the s flo2 a bit more. 

but ideally I would like to connect the IEM directly to that female mini dock

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Yes, an amp is required. The 4th Gen iPod has NO HPO at all. The 5th gen has one, but the product you pointed out is a Line out adapter. The signal from that isn't amped and is unfit for headphones. It needs to go into an amp.

Connect an iem into that and you will blow your eardrums right out of your head.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 11
don't like po outs from f:slo2, even with greater soundstage, it's not musical and sounds harsh to me. LO outs on the player is total different thing, very good indeed. If have a portable amp for it that will be really a nice sounding set. If want simply probably hm801 is the best.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 11
All right would an amp like the pico slim work?

Also in that case for the s flo2 would I connect the IEM to the headphone jack or the line out.

I appreciate all the help. I am no where near an audiophile yet

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
don't like po outs from f:slo2, even with greater soundstage, it's not musical and sounds harsh to me. LO outs on the player is total different thing, very good indeed. If have a portable amp for it that will be really a nice sounding set. If want simply probably hm801 is the best.

My HO was pretty harsh the first 1-2 days as well.  Much better now.  I won't say anything other that that.  
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 11
Pico slim will do the work.  There is no volume control for the lo outs. Don't directly connect your iems into lo jack or either your ears or iems will be blown up. Thats part of reason you need an amp for los.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back