Image X10 (re) appreciation thread
May 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #35 of 100
Dude if you think those rubber ones give off microphonics, count your blessings, you've never heard such awful racket microphonics like the cloth C3 cables.
L3000.gif

May 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 100
I got my X10's yesterday. I'm very impressed. They are a lot of fun to listen to. IMO, they've got a wide clean frequency range with deep tight bass. I wouldn't call the bass overbearing at all. I'm using a fairly bright Zen media player though. The sound stage is excellent. Not just the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, but sounds spread across the entire range in between, and a sense of space.

Low bitrate mp3's sound bad though. 256 is great, 192 is listenable, 128 sounds thin and brittle.

Choosing tips was easy, because the ONLY one that seals for me is the large single flange. I must have large ear canals.

Overall, I'm quite happy with them. Well worth the $200. I don't have a frame of reference for comparison against other high end IEMs, but they definitely don't suck.
happy_face1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #38 of 100
I am loving my X10s. I bought them during the sale, thinking they would be good for the gym out of my old nano, the train out of my iphone, etc. The only time I really use my UE-10s anymore is on planes when I bring the Supermacro... straight out of a player I prefer the X10s, and they are more comfortable as well (I never quite got the fit of my UEs perfected, and after a while, the top part that hold the phone in my outer ear begins to cause pain).

The only issue I have is microphonics, or that's what I thought it was anyway... A make-shift solution is to rotate the earpieces and run the cables around your ears. Even without memory wire, I find the cords stay in place reasonably enough (perhaps not if you're jogging).

However, I have since read here about people experiencing a "scratchy" sound based in the cord/earpiece connection, and that seems to be a better description for what I'm experiencing rather than microphincs. Is it correct that Klipsch has made an improvement and may replace mine for the newer model?

May 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 100
Not sure if they will replace. Is the sound a short in the wire (internal) or an external sound generated by the cable. If it's the latter, I doubt they will replace it. I just use a shirt clip and push the slider up and no noise (don't use over the ear). The main problem with the originals is the cable connection fraying at the ear pieces, from what I understand. Hasn't happened with mine.

Check the Klipsch Forum and ask Amy, the Klipsch rep. You can PM her.

Wow, so have the UE10 Pro and are good with the X10 sound? That's nice to know.

May 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #40 of 100
Well, ever since I got my X10, I have stuck the medium single flange tips on them, and I was starting to get pissed after 1/2 a month of playing with them and not getting them to stay comfortably in my ears. The smaller single flanges were too small and the larger ones a tad too large. I had ignored the bi-flanges because they had pissed me off when I was first trying the phones, but I finally came around and popped on a pair of the larger ones. The change was phenomenal. Not only did isolation drastically improve, but the tips nicely caught my ear canal and held in place, so I don't end up constantly fidgeting with them to make sure they are still in place.

I might try these later with Shure Olive Foamies or Comply tips but unfortunately, I can't find a place that will let me test them and I am concerned that I will not care for them.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #42 of 100
A little bit of a narrative:

I just got into IEM's about a month ago. I got the X10's, then got custom tips, but was listening from the headphone jack of a Creative Zen. Thought that was good.

Tonight, I went down to my basement and got my headphone amp. It's a studio amp called a Samson Q5. So, I hooked up the X10's to the Q5....

Holy crap, I think I had an eargasm.

Why didn't anybody tell me that using a great headphone amp would make the X10's sound that much better? I spent the last 3 hours listening in amazement, starting with Watermelon by DJ Kewlaid, then Sirens of the Sea by Oceanlab, and finished up with the remastered Led Zeppelin album Mothership. The air and soundstage and depth and detail....

The moral of the story is, if you have X10's and you haven't tried them with a really good amp, I suggest adding that to your list of things to do.

Now my dilemma is, do I start taking my studio amp with me to work and back, or do I start the search for a kickass portable amp? Wrong forum for that question, but the search will begin. I can't really afford one till the end of the month, but research is good.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #43 of 100
For what is worth, my wife, who loves music, but is not an audiophile when it comes to equipment, loves the x10's. Her ears are very small and she has tried several IEM's, the X10 being the one she finds the most comfortable and enjoyable.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #44 of 100
well... I should be receiving a package within the next couple of hours... with a pair of X10s inside
smily_headphones1.gif

...I decided to pick these up for my upcoming flight to SA, rather than re-buying the ER4P... Fingers crossed that was the right choice...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back