Image X10 (re) appreciation thread
Apr 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owe Klipsch an apology. Not really, but I am doing a flip-flop on their Image X10 dynamic phones.

During my search for a pair of keeper dynamic IEMs for my collection, I tried the IE8 (just not my preference, though very nice IEMs), and now the IE7 (and my thinking was? Not sure. They were less than $200 is all I can say). Why would the IE7 be a better choice than the IE8? Some say they have less bass and more mid-focus, but I still find the bass somewhat overbearing (more on that later).

Yesterday, I noticed the poor little X10s, relegated to my Buddha statue turned IEM/cable stand (yes, with arms outstretched), sitting there. Wanting to see why they cost $349 MSRP, I tried something different, new tips. I stuck on the large single flange black tips that came with the now sold Custom 3s (the buyer didn't want them) and wow, they gave me the perfect seal and some very excellent sound on a few test tracks (mainly Hotel California on the Hell Freezes Over and the unreleased version of Paul Simon’s Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes from Graceland, an awesome bass track).

I had written off the X10s for their microphonics and what I thought was their veiled sound (when compared to the PFEs in particular). But these are $349 phones, (now available for $259 on Amazon)? They had to be better than I gave them credit for, right? I had paid $175 for them during that great Klipsch half-price sale last year, so they were a bargain at that price.

Anyway, I threw the music at them on my Zune80 and Sony A818 (no EQ), and the Touch as well. And wow, they sounded fantastic. I had been using the larger bi-flange gel, and maybe that was the problem. Not sure. But these large single flange gels are perfect, great seal/awesome iso, and comfy beyond belief.

Not going to go into a lot of review-like details, but I really enjoyed the X10s, and think I may start to use them again in place of the IE7s, which are also a very nice IEM. The X10s right now just offer a more balanced sound (only have burned in the IE7s for 90 hours or so). While the IE7s are on the “for sale” block, I will keep burning them in and try to hit the magic 200-hour mark unless someone buys them. I have 23 days to return them as well.

Meantime, I solved the X10 microphonics issue by using the shirt clip AND pushing the under the chin slider almost all the way up. No noises via the cable. I also know they have some cracking issues on the strain relief near the amazingly small drivers, but I believe Klipsch will replace them with a new pair which no longer has the issue. I think.

Anyway, wanted to give Klipsch their due. I know the X10s have not gotten a lot of buzz on Head-Fi, but I am glad I gave them a second chance. I am gonna hook them up to the T4 and Minbox and see how they perform with an amp and LOD (on the Touch).

Anyway else like them? Dislike them?

You may need to keep looking for a dynamic IEM for your collection. According to Klipsch's website, the X10 is an armature design.

"For Klipsch's Image series PM’s, a premium armature is used; in this case, our proprietary KG926 driver. The KG926 is ultra-compact. Less weight generally results in greater comfort, because there is less force on the ear canal. This model has a proprietary "special sauce"—a unique technology which delivers very full range with delicate highs and smooth, deep bass. The sound is very accurate, due to its lightweight diaphragm. Vocals are silky smooth and drums have a nice snap to them.

Because of its size, a good air seal is required to prevent loss of bass. The micro-small chassis with its thin, aluminum extruded body places the armature closer to the eardrum than any other manufacturer’s headphones, creating a more accurate sound by reducing the volume of air modulated in the ear canal. Precision machining is required to make this model and the design is remarkably intricate, due to its size. The patent-pending Contour Ear Gel also ensures a better seal, since the oval shape—and different sizes—can achieve a fit that’s compatible with the user’s ears. "

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 100
I honestly love the Image X10 I picked up nearly a month ago. I must have small ear canals because I've never managed to get a good seal with IEMs using their largest or medium sized tips. I picked up the X10 because of their small size, and as a result, the X10 fitted with the large biflange silicone tips have given me the perfect seal. I love the SS straight out of my Sandisk Clip.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 100
Guess so. I saw the word "dynamic" attached to a different description of the X10 and made an assumption, which turned out wrong. No matter. I still like how they sound and the comfort they deliver.

Here's the graph I found on a website (electronicsme.com). Fooled me. I should have read all the Klipsch marketnig materials.

Audio
Driver Technology Moving-Coil/ Dynamic
Maximum SPL n/a
Characteristic SPL n/a
Nominal Impedance 50 ohms
Frequency Response n/a
Signal to Noise Ratio n/a

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatordoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may need to keep looking for a dynamic IEM for your collection. According to Klipsch's website, the X10 is an armature design.

"For Klipsch's Image series PM’s, a premium armature is used; in this case, our proprietary KG926 driver. The KG926 is ultra-compact. Less weight generally results in greater comfort, because there is less force on the ear canal. This model has a proprietary "special sauce"—a unique technology which delivers very full range with delicate highs and smooth, deep bass. The sound is very accurate, due to its lightweight diaphragm. Vocals are silky smooth and drums have a nice snap to them.

Because of its size, a good air seal is required to prevent loss of bass. The micro-small chassis with its thin, aluminum extruded body places the armature closer to the eardrum than any other manufacturer’s headphones, creating a more accurate sound by reducing the volume of air modulated in the ear canal. Precision machining is required to make this model and the design is remarkably intricate, due to its size. The patent-pending Contour Ear Gel also ensures a better seal, since the oval shape—and different sizes—can achieve a fit that’s compatible with the user’s ears. "

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 100
Quote:

I don't get that smearing/hot thing. Do you mean sibilant? I don't hear that, not too much anyway. Maybe it's the large flanges that are not giving me that feedback.

Sibilance, with the right tips can be kept to a minimum though still more than I'm willing to put up with. The 'hot' thing is more dry/grainy vocals that can be a little piercing/distorting depending on the mastering quality. The 'smearing' thing is related to complex bass rhythms whereby the x10's don't dissect the lower frequencies well and hence smear them.

Quote:

As I noted, still burning in those darn IE7s. The entire Senn burn-in thing is really annoying, but people swear they improve a lot with it. I didn't get that when I burned in the IE8s for 250-plus hours. Oh well.

Can't say I noticed anything with mine, if anything, possibly more forward vocals after a couple hundred hours but still relatively unpolished across the midrange and treble. Mine will be going back shortly. They are good, but at £120 they don't really add much to what I already have and I'm not really one to hoard headphones.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 100
I figure I'll be taking the same path. I have until 5/22 to return them if they don't get to the level I expected. I revoked the "For Sale" sign because I want to give them a fair shake, but I am not hopeful. At $192, just not worth keeping. As for hoarding phones, I mainly hoard low-cost phones (ADDIEMs, RE2s, Ksc75s, etc.). My main trio is the W3s (a gift), PFEs ( cost me under $100) and now, the X10s (half price). I did manage to sell off the PK3s. That was a triumph of sorts.

On the smearing and hot vocals, I think my ears are older and not as sophisticated as yours, maybe one of the few advantages of getting old.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 100
I ordered the X10's today. I've been waffling on a decision for about a week. They went back down to ~$200 on Amazon, and said "only 4 pairs left", so I figured I'd take a chance on them. These are my first high end IEM's, so hopefully they'll work out well.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 1, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 100
Quote:

Be sure to try all the tips.

Thanks. I'll definitely do that. If I don't like the silicone tips I'm going to try some Comply T-100s as well. I'll do everything I can to make sure things are optimal.

May 2, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #26 of 100
The Comply tips are wonderful. Better seal, and better bass response (which is already fantastic with the included gel tips) imho.

Haven't really heard any other headphones in the price range, so I can't say for sure what they're worth exactly, but they're easily eons above what I've had (SF3, CX300, X3i, and a few others) and just incredible.

May 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #28 of 100
can't given them enough praise....i've been comparing them directly with im616 iems over the last month and they manage to give a warmer, more holistic sound. combined with crossfed rockbox on an iaudio x5, the sound for rock music is incredible -- NOT for classical as I think the immediacy of acoustic performances is lacking with these cans...

I probably would have got the er4s instead....but money's the killer, i guess....

May 2, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #30 of 100
ka-boom, yes, I should have mentioned I would love to have tried the C3 along with the er4s/im716 before buying the x10......

but it must be said, if the cables weren't so flimsy, the x10 would be close to top of the heap. not bad for a first effort from klipsch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back