iMac ALU - keces 151 - LD MK IV SE - akg k701. Any thoughts?
Jul 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 5
There are various reasons why you may not be pleased with your setup.
The most likely is the headphones. You can experiment with various models and brands.
The source is also a possibility as you are not using a dedicated soundcard.
On a PC you do not have to spend much to get effectively perfect analog out (e.g. E-MU 0202USB), but I'm afraid I don't know what soundcards work with macs.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 5
i had keces dac-151 and littledot mk4se combo along with dell laptop and senn hd650.
imo, da151 and LDmk4se make a great combo.
da151 should work fine with mac. it was such a clean and neutral yet very powerful usb dac.
i think your k701 will sing beautifully with that setup. my hd650 and dt990 did.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I've really been enjoying my keces 131 dac. It's a very pleasant, musical dac, with good speed and extension, decent left to right and some front to back sound stage, and a nice solid bottom end to the sound. If you are a treble detail freak though, look elsewhere.

With respect to amps, I think you ought to make sure to read some posts exploring the synergy of the K701 and mkIV in the amplifier forum. The K701 is a very different animal from high impedance cans like the premium beyers and senns, and I know that certain OTL tube amps like my woo 3 work beautifully with 250-600 ohm cans - but not so much with lower impedance/higher currant cans like the k701.

Don't get me wrong - I haven't read anything bad about the mkIV, K701 combo. I haven't researched that particular amp - but I would want to make sure to read something good about the synergy between the amp and HP before investing.

I don't have any personal experience with these products, but I have seen good reports on the K701 with the KICAS Caliente (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-336473/) and also with the Woo 6, if you're contemplating any other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back