iMac ALU - keces 151 - LD MK IV SE - akg k701. Any thoughts?
Jul 10, 2008 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

karnov

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on upgrading my headphone setup. Currently I'm using iMac -> Project Headbox Mk2 -> AKG k701 and I'm not really pleased. So after reading some I think that bying a Keces DAC and a little dot MK IV SE would work for my k701s. Any toughts on this setup? Maybe a Keces 131 would work better with my iMac than the 151 dac? Or a completely different setup of dac/amp would work better with an iMac / akg k701 combo?

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 5

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
There are various reasons why you may not be pleased with your setup.
The most likely is the headphones. You can experiment with various models and brands.
The source is also a possibility as you are not using a dedicated soundcard.
On a PC you do not have to spend much to get effectively perfect analog out (e.g. E-MU 0202USB), but I'm afraid I don't know what soundcards work with macs.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 5

tjumper78

Headphoneus Supremus
i had keces dac-151 and littledot mk4se combo along with dell laptop and senn hd650.
imo, da151 and LDmk4se make a great combo.
da151 should work fine with mac. it was such a clean and neutral yet very powerful usb dac.
i think your k701 will sing beautifully with that setup. my hd650 and dt990 did.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 5

skeptic

Headphoneus Supremus
I've really been enjoying my keces 131 dac. It's a very pleasant, musical dac, with good speed and extension, decent left to right and some front to back sound stage, and a nice solid bottom end to the sound. If you are a treble detail freak though, look elsewhere.

With respect to amps, I think you ought to make sure to read some posts exploring the synergy of the K701 and mkIV in the amplifier forum. The K701 is a very different animal from high impedance cans like the premium beyers and senns, and I know that certain OTL tube amps like my woo 3 work beautifully with 250-600 ohm cans - but not so much with lower impedance/higher currant cans like the k701.

Don't get me wrong - I haven't read anything bad about the mkIV, K701 combo. I haven't researched that particular amp - but I would want to make sure to read something good about the synergy between the amp and HP before investing.

I don't have any personal experience with these products, but I have seen good reports on the K701 with the KICAS Caliente (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-336473/) and also with the Woo 6, if you're contemplating any other amps.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 5

karnov

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the input guys! After doing some more reading I think that keces 131 would work with my mac, a lot of people seem to use the mac's optical out without complaints. And furthermore Heeds canamp seems to be a god fit for the k701s. Im gonna do some reading about KICAS and Woo 6. Tho at the moment I'm a bit hesitant towards tube amps. Tube amps seem to need more attention than solid states and be more fragile. I'm still at the university so if solid states are more reliable and straight forward it seems like a better fit right now, especially for my student budget
wink.gif

And regarding it being the headphones that I'm not pleased with. I'm convinced that it's the amp that's my bottleneck. I've listened the AKG k701s on better setups and I really lilked the sound. First of all the Headbox Mk2 is just too weak for k701, the sound is low even at full output and you can clearly hear the distortion. And secpnd it's just an overall crappy amp that I dont really like with any headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread