IM716 replacements
Apr 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 27
I am not sure whether RE0 is more refined on the treble or not but it can definitely extend further than iM716, and probably ER4.

Talk about iM716 insulation getting shredded off, I think mine will be gone soon even though I haven't quite used it for the last few years. Well hopefully I get to recable the whole thing myself.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbayArch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotic uses balanced armature transducer units, not dynamic drivers. I believe it was the ER-6 transducer unit that was licensed and/or produced for Altec Lansing, NOT the ER-4

EDIT: Their new MC IEMS use Moving Coil dynamic drivers

The im716 was a BA not MC, if I recall correctly. That said, are the drivers the same as those in the ER-4; anyone know for sure?

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The im716 was a BA not MC, if I recall correctly. That said, are the drivers the same as those in the ER-4; anyone know for sure?

Eytmotic only licensed and produced BA transducer units used in the lesser model, ER-6 for sale under different brands, such as Altec Lansing. The BA transducer unit in the ER-4 is guarded much like Coca Cola guards their cola recipe. That's their bread and butter.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

The BA transducer unit in the ER-4 is guarded much like Coca Cola guards their cola recipe. That's their bread and butter.

Not quite. ER4 transducer is very well known in the industry. In fact Westone UM2 uses the same transducer as the treble driver. It is Knowles ED9689.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite. ER4 transducer is very well known in the industry. In fact Westone UM2 uses the same transducer as the treble driver. It is Knowles ED9689.

I believe the Knowles transducers were a proprietary design for Etymotic along with the design implementation in the ER-4, otherwise what would there be for Etymotic to patent?

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

I believe the Knowles transducers were a proprietary design for Etymotic along with the design implementation in the ER-4, otherwise what would there be for Etymotic to patent?

Well you can certainly buy that particular BA from Knowles. Etymotic tunes the same BA with resistor (cap in 4B as well) and acoustic impedance (filter). Their patent (US Pat. 5887070 If you wish to know) is in the overall design, not in the individual components used in.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #23 of 27
Any other suggestions for a replacement for the im716? Mine are dying. I like the sound of the im716, but am not wedded to it. I'd like something with similar or better isolation (a big use is on airplanes) and at least as high impedance (one of my sources sounds hissy with 16 ohm phones). I don't currently own a soldering iron, so a podectomy is unlikely.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other suggestions for a replacement for the im716? Mine are dying. I like the sound of the im716, but am not wedded to it. I'd like something with similar or better isolation (a big use is on airplanes) and at least as high impedance (one of my sources sounds hissy with 16 ohm phones). I don't currently own a soldering iron, so a podectomy is unlikely.

The only IEMs that would give noticeably better isolation would be the ER4/HF5. If you want to try something new, then if ClieOS is right about the UM2 (and I trust him) then you might want to give that a try as well.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 27
How about the RE0? Seem very popular (including with ClieOS) and great bang for the buck.

BTW, I mostly listen to progressive rock, metal, jazz, and some classical.

Source an unamped ipod touch or the like

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the RE0? Seem very popular (including with ClieOS) and great bang for the buck.

BTW, I mostly listen to progressive rock, metal, jazz, and some classical.

Source an unamped ipod touch or the like

Isolation is sub-par for a closed IEM. I like mine but my tastes have shifted to want a more lively sound. If I were you I'd pony up the extra cash to try a pair of CZs (the panasonic HJE900). They have more bass and the build quality FWIR is great too.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation is sub-par for a closed IEM. I like mine but my tastes have shifted to want a more lively sound. If I were you I'd pony up the extra cash to try a pair of CZs (the panasonic HJE900). They have more bass and the build quality FWIR is great too.

According to other posts, isolation is better on the RE0 than the HJE900. The ER4 and UM2 are more expensive than I want and the HF5 is only 16 ohms (one of my sources is hissy with the 16 ohm phones I've tried).

From what I've read, RE0 has better SQ, im716 has better isolation. Otherwise they seem rather similar on almost all characteristics. Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back