iM716 problem
Jun 8, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 21
Damn. I just measured them. Here are the results, with pot at max.
HD mode:
L: 67.1 ohms
R: 66.6 ohms

Bass mode:
L: 36.9 ohms
R: 36.25 ohms (vacillated between 36.2 and 36.3)

Has anyone measured the impedance of properly working iM716's? I'm in my office and my box/manual is at home.

I'm coming up on my 30 day Amazon exchange period this weekend, so if I'm going to swap 'em out I should do so post haste.
My multimeter (a Fluke 8021B) is old, but I put a fresh 9V battery in it and I'm confident enough in the results because my KSC-75/KSC-35 hybrids (KSC-75 driver/'35 clip) registered 58.8 ohms for the left one and 59.0 ohms for the right now.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by citroeniste
I'm coming up on my 30 day Amazon exchange period this weekend, so if I'm going to swap 'em out I should do so post haste.

If you can exchange them for a working pair, I say do so.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 21
I did a quick multimeter check re ohms on my iM716's and they are also in the 60 and 30 ranges at the two settings. Nothing wrong - change your filters. You DO NOT have to see anything for them to have become blocked (you are talking about exceedingly small particles). One side of my er-6i was diminished and I changed the filter, only to become aware of an imbalance, so I also changed the other one - then all was right with the world. Time/frequency of usage or cleanliness are not markers for needing to change filters - it can happen to anyone at any time.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Time/frequency of usage or cleanliness are not markers for needing to change filters - it can happen to anyone at any time.

But both of them? After just three weeks? I'm going to call Altec on Monday to see if they'd be willing to do something, because that's more than a little absurd.

This is my first experience with IEMs. If filters need to be changed this regularly, it will be my last experience with IEMs....

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #20 of 21
Just to close out this thread (and fix a doubled post), it was indeed filters. I could find no way to reasonably remove them. With the replacement filters they're as good as new.

Haven't yet been able to get in touch with Atlec tech support (they put you on hold and then cut you off) but I did order some replacement filters. They're pricey but at least AL doesn't charge shipping on top of that. They come shipped in a neat little centrifuge tube.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
I did a quick multimeter check re ohms on my iM716's and they are also in the 60 and 30 ranges at the two settings. Nothing wrong - change your filters.

I thought the filters were already changed... huh, I guess not. Yeah, change the filters and see if the problem goes away (provided you can do that and still return them). Keep us posted.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back