iM716 problem
Jun 1, 2006 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

citroeniste

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I noticed something odd with my '716s: they seemed to lose their ability to play loudly. In the morning, they sounded great, and I put them on top of my desk after I arrived. In the evening, they were so quiet that I could barely hear them even on "Bass" with the pot set to full and the iPod turned all the way up. With the iPod at half-pot, the IEM's were essentially silent. I confirmed when I arrived home that the problem resided in the iM716's, not the iPod.

Any ideas as to what could've happened between the time I placed them on my desk and the time I picked them up off my desk?

I'm loathe to suspect filters, because the things are less than a month old, I don't have much earwax, and the balance between the channels is fine. Also, I know of no non-destructive way to remove the filters to see if that is the problem.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 21
make sure the volume knob on the im716s is not at minimum. just don't put them in with both cranked too high to test if they're working
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 21
Battery. They suck juice like nobody's business. Id suggest an amp. Wall socket or 9v preferably.

Jun 1, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 21
(I'm a little unclear, what other sources have you used the IEMs on?) If the previous suggestions doesn't work, I guess it might be time to think about the filters. That was my first thought when you described what was going on. As far as a non-destructible approach goes, I guess you could just look at the filters to see if you notice any blockage (especially if you have a good magnifying glass and a clean filter for reference). This approach doesn't work in general--as you can't always see the problem--but I 'spose it's worth a try.

-Angler
600smile.gif

EDIT: Needed more words.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 21
i receive mine yesterday after 1.5 weeks due to the shipping. i do find iM716 hard to drive. it soft in volume. and within hours, the left side is so quite.. i suspect it the filter so i peel it of and indeed. it the filter. so i guess u have to do something to it. iM716 filter is badly design i would say...

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
i receive mine yesterday after 1.5 weeks due to the shipping. i do find iM716 hard to drive. it soft in volume. and within hours, the left side is so quite.. i suspect it the filter so i peel it of and indeed. it the filter. so i guess u have to do something to it. iM716 filter is badly design i would say...

Me, too, had to change the filter for the left side less than a month
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
(I'm a little unclear, what other sources have you used the IEMs on?)

A PowerBook and an iMac + Total AirHead. Same result; much, much less volume than I'd previously been able to get out of them.

I've also tried them with the switch in both positions, and the iM716's inline volume pot maxed out.

Quote:

If the previous suggestions doesn't work, I guess it might be time to think about the filters. That was my first thought when you described what was going on. As far as a non-destructible approach goes, I guess you could just look at the filters to see if you notice any blockage (especially if you have a good magnifying glass and a clean filter for reference). This approach doesn't work in general--as you can't always see the problem--but I 'spose it's worth a try.

I have looked at the filters, and they look just like the spares. I can't see any blockage or other possible difference. The tips are also clean. I'll change the filters to see if that's the problem, but I'm skeptical because
1) Both earpieces dropped in volume by the same amount at the exact same time. That is to say, the channel balance is fine, but the overall level is decreased.
2) I've had them for only about three weeks.

Is there a way to take out the filters without destroying them?

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by citroeniste
Is there a way to take out the filters without destroying them?

No. I have changed one filter and unfortunately you virtually spear the filter with the tool to pull it out. I too am suspicious that this is the problem as you mentioned it happened suddenly and evenly to both ears. For me it was a process where the ‘balance’ between the channels gradually shifted.

Maybe some water got on the filters? If so, let them dry out for a day or two.

Jun 1, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Maybe some water got on the filters? If so, let them dry out for a day or two.

Yeah, that's a thought: Is there any chance your IEMs might have gotten wet immediately before or during to interval in question?

As far as changing the filters goes, etymotic expects you to destroy them in the process. An alternative approach has been suggested that is non-destructive--but I've never tried it and can't vouch for its effectiveness.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

...........An alternative approach has been suggested that is non-destructive--but I've never tried it and can't vouch for its effectiveness.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Good thought Angler. Unfortunately unlike the Ety filters, these cannot be taken out, washed and replaced.

I did try this method with the filter in place, being very careful to keep the filter face down. If not, liquid could get into the driver and kill it. Anyway, it didn't work.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 21
????
Wierd??

They just attenuate by themselves?

Curious, do you have a digital multimeter? Ohm out the TRS connector with the volume slider at MAX... What resistance measurement do you read? It should be very close to the impedence rating of the phone.

confused.gif

Garrett

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
????
Wierd??

They just attenuate by themselves?

Curious, do you have a digital multimeter? Ohm out the TRS connector with the volume slider at MAX... What resistance measurement do you read? It should be very close to the impedence rating of the phone.

confused.gif

Garrett

I'm as confused as you are. I let them sit over the weekend to see if it was a drying issue, and no change. They still peak at a whisper. I found my multimeter today, but the battery is dead so I need to run and find another 9V'er. Just to be sure, top pole (above the ring) is a positve, the middle pole (between the rings) is the other channel positive, and below both rings is negative, right?

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by citroeniste
Just to be sure, top pole (above the ring) is a positve, the middle pole (between the rings) is the other channel positive, and below both rings is negative, right?

Yup.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back