I'm worried about buying a Fiio e5
Mar 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

enclavebob

New Head-Fier
So I'm considering purchasing a Fiio E5 from ebay.ca at ~$18 but i had a few concerns. Mainly the problems i've read about online, about how the E5 just stops working, is this a common problem? or just a rare scenario? Also I'm worried about the one i get online being a fake E5 (this is just me being a bit paranoid) Also is the E5 worth the investment right now, because at the moment I have some generic sony earbuds but plan on upgrading to M50s soon, is the difference clearly worth the money?
Thanks.

Edit: here is the link to the exact auction: http://cgi.ebay.ca/FiiO-E5-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-AMP-3-5mm-3-5-EARPHONE-MP3-/250640060871?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a5b4fd1c7#ht_3385wt_905

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 6
I guess my first question is, what do you think an amp will do for you?

I own the E5 myself (~4 weeks now, so I can't comment on durability) and it does the one thing I needed, which is enhance the bottom end of music I listen to through my Shure E2c's.  I also find it handy to boost the sound of my Clip+ which has problems driving my full-sized headphones.

The E5, however, adds noticable hiss to my Clip+.  For $20, you can't expect much better than that.

I can't comment on the Bay auction.

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I guess my first question is, what do you think an amp will do for you?

I own the E5 myself (~4 weeks now, so I can't comment on durability) and it does the one thing I needed, which is enhance the bottom end of music I listen to through my Shure E2c's.  I also find it handy to boost the sound of my Clip+ which has problems driving my full-sized headphones.

The E5, however, adds noticable hiss to my Clip+.  For $20, you can't expect much better than that.

I can't comment on the Bay auction.

I'm just hoping that it'll help me get a little bit more drive out of my phone and possibly help the bass become a bit more clearer and "natural" 

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Don't expect much from the E5, but it may be an interesting venture.

Or you could go for the Lisa amp or Stepdance. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had the E5 for nearly a year and it's still working great for me. :) I'm using it with my iPod Classic, and I don't experience any hiss with it. The only thing I don't like about it is there's no low battery warning, so I have been caught out a few times. Besides that, it's still a bargain. It made the WeSC Alp Horn headphones I used to own much better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back