i'm starting to feel all this audiophile grade equipment isn't as good as its cracked up to be?
Mar 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #107 of 123

Quote:
i guess i listen to music to loud. really should turn down the tunes.
rolleyes.gif

And get a haircut.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #109 of 123
you guys are very funny. and in reality im growing my hair long. but back on topic thanks for all the help. useful or not i really appreciate it.

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #110 of 123
Hey!

The army sent me to Yakama to train in that little desert they got going on there.  Not too far from your house, ever been to Yakama, I have very fond memorys of the area, man Mt. Rainer just domanated the place, I was there in August and Mt. Rainer was a third covered in snow. Impressive sight for a 19 year old from near the coast.  A flat coast. lol.

I however have no clue as to what is happening to you since I'm not there, but good wishes in getting it fixed. I'm 53 and jamming to Porcupine Tree this second. Music is to be enjoyed, just like sex, if you ain't getting that from your music than you need to get it fixed! 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #111 of 123
1.Well your listening to a genre that is known for brickwalling so it can be that mixed with listening to it too loudly which only enhances the problem.
2 EQing something up is going to really make it distort.
3. youtube almost everything distorts on there even audiophile/very dynamic recorded stuff
4  If something is distorting because of brickwalling NOTHING will fix it.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #112 of 123
high end audio has devolved into the biggest con game since wall street banking .  headphones and headphone amps owe their recent popularity to the blatant price gouging now prevalent in the home audio component market .  manufacturers in europe and japan regularly come out with sixty thousand dollar preamps and hundred thousand dollar speakers systems which are only remakes of fifty year old circuit designs .  speakers have gotten smaller and less impressive yet have quadrupled in price over the last ten years .  not only is an audiophile grade component rendered obsolete within twelve months , the company that produced the overpriced piece of equipment goes out of business two years after producing their 150k dollar amplifier .  headphones and headphone amplifiers are going up in price as well , but consumers seeking so called audiophile equipment have no choice but to purchase high end phones because the traditional stereo system now costs 200 grand just to get started .

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #113 of 123

Quote:

You can polish a turd, but all your left with is shiny poop :)

You cannot polish a turd

but you can roll it in glitter

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #114 of 123
Have we actually determined whether you're listening to loud or not yet?

Here's how to test:

Find someone that doesn't head-bang regularly and tends to hear a pin drop or get uncomfortable from high sound in theaters (if the cringe during fireworks that's good too).  Set to the volume you listen to and hand it to them.  If they have trouble even putting on the headphones because they're too loud then you have an issue.

There's nothing wrong using the ipod as a source in most cases.  It measures just fine, but may need an external amp for some headphones so it doesn't clip.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #115 of 123

Quote:
high end audio has devolved into the biggest con game since wall street banking .  headphones and headphone amps owe their recent popularity to the blatant price gouging now prevalent in the home audio component market .  manufacturers in europe and japan regularly come out with sixty thousand dollar preamps and hundred thousand dollar speakers systems which are only remakes of fifty year old circuit designs .  speakers have gotten smaller and less impressive yet have quadrupled in price over the last ten years .  not only is an audiophile grade component rendered obsolete within twelve months , the company that produced the overpriced piece of equipment goes out of business two years after producing their 150k dollar amplifier .  headphones and headphone amplifiers are going up in price as well , but consumers seeking so called audiophile equipment have no choice but to purchase high end phones because the traditional stereo system now costs 200 grand just to get started .

Proof requested.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #116 of 123

Quote:

i disagree you can find many different audiophile grade equipment for much cheaper than that. some companies make fairly priced equipment.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #117 of 123
The situation is true but it doesn't account for the number of cheaper options available for buyers and that there are many companies that produce great sounding products that stay in business for years... 

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #118 of 123
If im repettive, sorry, i couldnt read through the whole thread, but, you might be experiencing a handful of things when you talk about distortion. If your switching from bose, chancesare your losing some bass, as well as some coloration, and your headphones may sound "brighter" than your used to. I used to have a problem with this, in time, you'll grow into the new sound and you might appreciate the brighter coloration, which chances are, is more accurate to the original recording, and really allows you to hear aspects of the music you never noticed before. You might be experiencing "clipping" when you run your ipod up too loud, ive found the point where things starts to "clip" varied from headphone to headphone, my 595 start to clip at about 70% volume on my computer for most of my metal recordings, and at around 90% for most everything else, my apple earbuds, as i remember, clipped around 50% on my laptop. Clipping, by the way, is probably the wrong term here, but the sound is similar to when you open audacity and scream into the mic. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #119 of 123
I think you're probably just experiencing the law of diminishing returns. I started off with the ibuds and wanted more bass so opted for V Moda vibe duos which had tons of bass but not much else and then the Remix which satisfied me for a couple of years. Then after reading reviews I went for the Klipsch S4i (which I managed to get for about £36 which I thought was an obscene amount to spend on earphones) and I was in love but assumed I must still be missing out on something. After a number of other small upgrades I went for the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 iems which I had encountered in my research time and time again and finally I was blown away as they were amazing. However, rather than satisfy me they just made me hungry for more. If spending decent money on the triple fi's sounded this good how good would a £500 pair sound?
After buying the ue900's, ue600's, AKG619, Grado sr80 and lusting after the AKG 550 and Grado 325's I've started to notice differences in sources between my phone, I pod, I pad etc and started to think about an amplifier. I stopped myself short and went back to the old ibuds, they were horrific!
The thing is this, the more you spend on audio the smaller the differences become and arguably become more about matters of taste than what is good or bad. All of the headphones sound great in different ways and all suit different purposes better than others. Therefore, find a set up that you enjoy and do just that.Sit back and enjoy the beautiful music and lose the notion that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. What do you reach for the most? I just picked up the Grado Sr80 used for about £50 on ebay and they look awful, feel flimsy but sound incredible and I can't keep them off my head. Enjoy what you already have and avoid obsession.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #120 of 123
  i have tried 2 higher end headphones in the $100 to $200 range. and they distort way to much. i would sometimes prefer to listen to i buds but i don't as they don't have any details whatsoever. is it that the higher end shure headphones. The srh750dj's and the srh840's need an amp. everyone says its easy to be ran out of an iPod. but the distortion makes me feel they require an amp. if i were to buy an amp would the distortion go away. i would love to hear all this wonderful quality everyone praises on hear. i'm starting to feel like any pair of headphones over $50 that have certain size drivers require an amp. though my pioneer se m390 sounds terrible in comparison it doesn't distort as much though it still does on certain frequencies. it seems to me to nice quality you must buy an amp and that will run another $100 for a cheap one and can even go up to around $400 for a good one or more. this will not do. i heard my friends Bose triport around ears and i thought they sounded great. i think you guys are to harsh on Bose especially when he got them for $150. they were impressive though if my shure srh840 didn't distort i would undoubtedly agree that it sounds much better. will a fiio e5 solve my problem or will i need a much more expensive amp. i feel to get the Bose quality and no distortion in the end you will spend the same price for both the amp and the headphones themselves. maybe getting Bose isn't such a bad idea. but i will definitely avoid beats as they sound absolutely terrible with the exception of the beats pros which i actually liked. yes they had very recessed mids but they didn't distort yet they were huge. why is this. perhaps we are a little harsh on these 2 brands. all i want is decent sound quality that sounds realistic and no noticeable distortion. distortion to me is very fatiguing.
any thoughts. i still love my srh840s but i feel maybe they are harder to drive then everyone describes on here. i think everyones definition of drivable out of an iPod or normal laptop is lots of details which i can assure you i get but a lot of the sound distorts. i don't know how people can monitor and make records with headphones that distort. it seems it would lead to very badly recorded albums.
thanks for your time.

edit: Never mind, I see this is an old thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back