i'm starting to feel all this audiophile grade equipment isn't as good as its cracked up to be?
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #47 of 123
To a degree. The law of diminishing returns starts to apply heavily as you go up into headphones hundreds of dollars worth, but especially with those in the thousands.

As it seems the majority of people who would even be slightly interested in testing (let alone owning) say a pair of Stax, the results of such reviews stating the improvement in such headphones ($2000 compared to $6000 headphones) are likely to be twisted thusly.

To an average audio enthusiast such as myself, I could maybe vouch for improvements in the sub-$1000 range, but I would bet it becomes marginal from there upward.

I must admit that the increase in quality from my $30 Koss Portapros to my $150 Sennheiser HD595 (which I am wearing as I type) is considerable, but not enough to justify the price increase for most people. I just wanted the improved soundstage, treble, and mids of the Senns.

I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder (also unreachable by science).

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #52 of 123
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #54 of 123
I'm 18 and can tell that hi-fi is in fact hi-fi.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #55 of 123

Quote:
1. disable the EQ on your ipod.  all it does is induce distortion and other artifacts.

2.  if the EQ is disabled, then the distortion is coming from you listening waaaaaaayy  too loud... 
rolleyes.gif

3.  if you listen at sane levels, and the EQ is off, and it still distorts, then i suggest you download some decent tunes.  'cuz you're listening to too much Red Hot Chili Peppers or something...  (in other words, lots of newer music is brickwalled.  and has distortion all over it.)

seriously, it's one of those things.   or a combination.

distortion isn't something that just "comes with higher end headphones".
in fact, it's quite the opposite.

peace,
the wuss

This, or

4. You are using the word "distortion" so much I can't help but think you might have some seriously bad source material. Very low bit rates, radio rips downloaded off a file sharing site, or something.

The SRH 840 are fantastic cans and shouldn't be distorting under normal use like you mention. Maybe you got a pair of damaged cans or something.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #56 of 123
Also keep in mind that a 320Bit rate rip from a terrible source is still a terrible source.  I have so many duplicate files with songs that it's frustrating.  Obviously you can delete anything under 128 or THAT will be the limiting factor, but I have plenty of 128bit songs that were ripped from quality sources that sound better than a 320bit song from someones cassette player.

You can polish a turd, but all your left with is shiny poop :)

An example...Creed.  With a Creed CD you can hear digital artifacts in "higher". 

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #57 of 123

Quote:

Did you see my reply?

Yeah, I've actually been doing some testing on this today....what I do is cut the volume of the track by 4 decibels to cut clipping, and I've found it won't encode to 64bit unless I up the sample rate to 192khz....if I leave the sample rate as is then 24bit is as high as it'll go.....in short after doing all this (64bit/192khz + 4 decibel volume cut) I've found there seems to be a definite difference in sound quality to my ear - it seems to be smoother, less harsh in the extremes, and I can hear bits and pieces of additional details and passages I couldn't hear so much before - basically there seems to be more depth to the song. But it seems I can't have one without the other. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #60 of 123
Bcasey
Fellow 'noob' here - quite a bit older (44) - but enjoying my mid-fi.  I'll be picking up my new 840's in a couple of weeks - so can give you some comparisons then.  I do use an E7 - and so far with the cheaper Senns I have - it has helped clarity and separation.  Could be placebo - haven't DBT - but I'm happy with them, and that's all that matters.  The E7 has definitely helped with my home PC and netbook.

Couldn't help noticing that you mentioned that you have 2 sources - ipod and computer (if I am reading it correctly).  Also that you mentioned you've been having the problems on most of your headphones - and it always happened on the computer.  So I'd suggest maybe look at the source first (and isolate the steps in the chain).

Suggestion - can you take your 840's to a friend's / music store / or someone you know who has a 1/2 way decent CD player and amp.  Take some music (pref CD) that you know - and play it.  If you're still getting the issues - then perhaps it was the cans.  I'd be willing to bet that the issues will be gone though.  You then need to look at your source.  If you can borrow a DAC from someone in your area - plug that into the lappie - and see if that helps.  If it does, look at buying the E7 - cheap, good entry DAC chip, and can be used as portable amp and DAC.

Second - I have permanent tinnitus.  Most of the time I don't notice it - and it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of music.  If you are really listening to your music very loud, consider turning it down a bit if you can.  That way you'll still be enjoying your music well into later life as well.  I just wish someone had given me the same advice 25 years ago
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back