I'm so poor.
Feb 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

JBengals

New Head-Fier
I'm afraid this hobby has taken too much money out of my pockets. I may have to sell my HD650 and Headfive just to make it through school this semester. If I indeed do this horrible deed, I have a question.

Is there some cheap alternative to the for the forgiving, laid back, and dark sound of the HD650's ?

I need your help Head-Fi!

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 32
I feel your pain. I'm left with $12 in my bank account right now after paying off VISA. Will get paid tomorrow thoguh, really need that paycheque!

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBengals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid this hobby has taken too much money out of my pockets. I may have to sell my HD650 and Headfive just to make it through school this semester. If I indeed do this horrible deed, I have a question.

Is there some cheap alternative to the for the forgiving, laid back, and dark sound of the HD650's ?

if you have a car, you can just live in your car so that you don't have to pay rent. that will allow you to buy new headphone gear.

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have a car, you can just live in your car so that you don't have to pay rent. that will allow you to buy new headphone gear.

i also lurk ferrarichat and found an appropriate quote:
Quote:

You can live in your car but you can't drive you house.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a little cold up here to live in my car.

The HD580 + LDM+ combo sounds alright, but that could end up being around 200 dollars. Ugh.

What about the ATH-A900? Or the MS-1? Would they really need an amp?

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 32
ATH-A900s are pretty good, and don't require an amp. If you listen to classical music, though, the A900s may seem a little lacking in their sound. I use the A900s at work though, and am happy with them so far.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 32
All these suggestions are still around $200 (A900, HD595, etc).

School before sound. Always. If you seriously can't afford to make it through this semester without having to sell your headphone gear, sell it and don't look back. Once you're more settled, you can always buy it back, but you can never buy a proper education back. As much as I love good sound, I could live with just using a pair of KSC75 or some computer speakers or whatever for a semester if it meant securing my education.

Good luck man.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 32
^agreed. education first.

but man, having to sell stuff to get through school... that sucks. is there no other way to get more money? i remember asking for more money since i was so poor, and the school gave me another $1,500 in loan money. maybe you should try that?

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 32
Yup. As humorous and geeky-cool as it sounds to break the bank buying high-end audio equipment, it should never be allowed to get to the point that even buying (let alone having to sell) headphones would possibly interfere with something important, like your education.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBengals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know that only another Sennheiser can make you happy
icon10.gif

Try hd485. Its laid back and dark, good bass and its fun to listen to it. You don't need an amp, its cheaper than other candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back