I'm seriously upset right now
Jan 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I've been an audiophile for years now, I've a nice little collection. I got a sansa fuze a long time ago and never used the stock earbuds...i regret this

I plugged them into my pc direct, not through speakers but the little audio jack in right on the face of my pc and started listening via foobar. I was seriously happy and impressed, and very upset at the same time. They produce a great sound, so i thought to myself "why not try this with call of Duty modern warfare 2" Soundstage is really important in this game, you need to hear exactly where people are. I cant believe the stock earbuds have such a nice soundstage. I can tell exactly where people are. In fact, they almost identical to the sound produced by my Denon D1001. WHAT THE HELL! $10.00 stock earbuds vs $100.00 D1ks? And they are very similar in overall sound. What in the name of the audio gods is going on here.

I've used my D1k for a months and tried using the Sansa Fuze buds all day today with various music. I must say, they may be the best stock buds I've ever used. I've used the zune HD, the cowon s9, ipod, ect ect. These are the best i think. When amped right, they sound just as good as my D1k, how can this be? Are my D1ks defective? It cant be, because my friends have D1ks of their own and I tested them out last night and they all sound the same as mine. So how can stock buds sound that good? I feel like I wasted $100.00. Not that the D1k is bad, its freaking great...but these buds are just amazing...waaaahHHH?

So i hooked the stock buds into my amp for some serious music listening, guthrie govan and Marco Sfogli tunes. I was so upset that these buds are so good, I almost wanted to cry. They are not as good sounding as my Monster Turbines, but the soundstage is vastly superior. VASTLY. you can game with these. Im stunned. I'm upset because I spent a few 100$ to find good soundstage for pure gaming in cans when these buds did the job just as good.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 35
All I know is that the PK3 buds completely crush the stock sansa buds. And you're right - the stock ones aren't *that* bad. They're just not what I would call "audiophile" grade.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 35
So I am just curious, how do they compare to the ES7? The ES7 was my first headphones and I found them disappointing. And did you ever use the stock S9 buds? I thought they where decent also.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 35
Good for you! Feel blessed that your ears are happy with such affordable buds. Your Denons will easily sell in the For Sale forums, so you can recoup your money that way. I would recommend selling the Denons, leaving Head-Fi and never look back!

Congratulations - I wish I was as blessed as you are. But alas, I have yet to hear a pair of cheap Earbuds that (TO ME) can even come close to a decent full sized pair of phones.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you! Feel blessed that your ears are happy with such affordable buds. Your Denons will easily sell in the For Sale forums, so you can recoup your money that way. I would recommend selling the Denons, leaving Head-Fi and never look back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the cry will help calm you down. Let it flow.

devil_face.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 35
You are not the only one who has gone through that, and I can assure you that the majority (if not all) of the people here who have tried a big number of HPs have come through that impression.

The thing is that those 2 headphones sound different. The Denon's drivers are most likely better technically speaking, but our hearing can get used to loads of things, so once the sound is known your brain doesn't register it as a new stimuli.

If you really want proof (Edit:
smily_headphones1.gif
sounds funny now that i read it again) that the Denon's you have were not money lost, give yourself a break from music/gaming with headphones for around a week, and try again both cans. You will notice again the differences.

Finally, bare in mind that most headphones must sound very similar to each other (in absolute terms), because if they were to sound completely different from each other we would be speaking of change of tonality or some strange things like guitars sounding like pianos (to put a simple and lame example). I hope you get where I am going with this.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 35
I'm definately with the OP here, i've got the Denon 1001's and a Sansa Clip and a few months ago when i was tidying up my draws i found the earbuds still in wrapper and thought id give them a whirl.

They do actually sound shocking similar - soundstage, mids, highs etc....only thing i would say was lacking is the bass slam that you get with the full sized pair of HP, but considering they come free with the player, I'm not complaining.

I'm actually frantically trying to find them right now so i can see how to compare against the 2k's.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 35
Does the clip come with the same buds as the fuze?
Frankly I think they sound terrible (comparing to both DT770 pro [which is pretty low quality if I say so myself] and ER4P... especially the ER4P)

I have not heard a Denon but one of my friends really hated his and sold it as fast as he could (D2k coming from an AD700)

Personally, I've never experienced the phenomenon bullseye describes with headphones, but I have experienced it with sources. Particularly very warm sources (which end up annoying me eventually)

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 35
I am upset about the sound stage, not the quality here. The overall quality of the buds is very good, but the soundstage is just fantastic. I've been gaming with them all day and I keep saying to myself WHY THE HELL did i blow over $100.00 for X-set of headphones that will remain nameless when these work great.

I've never used the Pk3 before, hows that soundstage? I know the quality would be nicer, but the overall soundstage is what im really upset over...I blew $ that i didnt need to lol...

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 35
swbf2cheater,

If you don't mind, I just have a couple of questions about these Sansa buds. First, do they look like (a) these, (b) the ones in this pic, or (c) none of the above? Also, if the buds look like example (a), could you take a close look at the holes on the front of the driver housing where the sound comes out? Are some of the "holes" closed? Thanks in advance! (A pic would also be nice.
wink.gif
)

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Oh well, it can be that you're not used to close cans.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
swbf2cheater,

If you don't mind, I just have a couple of questions about these Sansa buds. First, do they look like (a) these, (b) the ones in this pic, or (c) none of the above? Also, if the buds look like example (a), could you take a close look at the holes on the front of the driver housing where the sound comes out? Are some of the "holes" closed? Thanks in advance! (A pic would also be nice.
wink.gif
)

It is B.

I just tried mine, not bad as a stock bud.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 35
Why upset?
Being pleased with the Fuze earbuds should eventually save you a lot of money in the long run. Just sell the Denon D1001s and enjoy the Fuze earbuds.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back