I'm sad... and I want to tell you why. From grados to nowhere?
Jun 14, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekreeper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a chip on your shoulder, Aaron?

I'm saying, from my own personal experience, that I find the Etymotics to be most similar to the Grados, and I've done a little bit of listening with a variety of headphones. All you do is keep denying that they don't sound similar, but you don't offer an alternative that would sound more like the Grados.

From everything that he's described, from not being satisfied with the treble rolloff and wanting more detail and clarity, that the Etymotics would be what he wants as an alternative to the E4cs.

*edit* Thank you, Kramer. I'm extremely glad that you agree with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not have a chip on my shoulder. I simply differ on this issue. I do respect your opinion. I have not called you any names.

When audiophiles first start out they all (including me) seem to make the same mistake. They equate bright and detail. They are not necessarily the same thing. ETYS are bright. They are the story of 5 years ago. Everyone that has started with them 5 years ago whom I know and respect no longer really listens to them.

Look IEM are 1000 times lighter and more practical to walk around with. If they were Grado like in any way Grado would not be outselling them 1,000 to 1.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #17 of 35
Thanks so much for writing that. It's amazing to me, but sometimes when someone is trying to describe what they're hearing in a language that isn't their native tongue it comes across much more clearly. It like they're reduced to the most basic words so the imagery is much starker.

I too am a Grado lover (check my sig), and I think I have a solution for you, but it won't be cheap.

As has already been mentioned, the only thing close to Grados are Grados. But there is an IEM that can produce pretty good results. I'm talking about the Etymotic ER-4S. Note, not the ER-4P's, but the ER-4S's. This means that you'll need an amp to drive them well. Bear in mind, they won't sound exactly like your beloved Grados. But they have a lot in common with the Grados: Silky smooth, detailed, highly resolving treble range and incredible dynamics. Bear in mind that it's hard for any IEM's to produce really punchy bass, but the ER-4S's bass is taut and very lively.

I would encourage you to hook up with other Head-Fiers in Finland if it is at all possible, because it would be a LOT better if you could try these out before you commit. They're not cheap, and they really won't shine without a pretty good amp.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Friedman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, I had all Etys 4s,4p, and 6 and there is no similarity at all.

I wouldn't say they sound all that similar, but they have a lot of qualities in common. Great dynamics and high resolution.

Of all the IEM's around, I think they're the best fit for Grado fans.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say they sound all that similar, but they have a lot of qualities in common. Great dynamics and high resolution.

Of all the IEM's around, I think they're the best fit for Grado fans.

To me they are bright, cold and shrill. Dynamics not in my experience. However, IEMs sound different in different ear canals; just like speakers sounds different in different rooms.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 35
Well, an IEM can't possibly be a perfect replacement for a full-size Grado. You have to make do with tiny millimeter-size drivers that cost quite a bit more for the equivalent amount of sound quality and in turn get the benefit of having lightweight, portable earphones with supreme isolation. I'm one of those people who gladly take that tradeoff to go along with lots of commuting and an iPod.

Are you suggesting that he simply stay with the Grados? That's definitely a valid point of view, but I inferred that he wanted a different type of headphone that Grados don't come in, since he stated:
Quote:

I really want iem's for noise-cancelling.

And so I'm just suggesting Etymotics for someone who is used to a Grado sound. Nothing more. I'm not trying to deprecate the quality of a good Grado or imply that you can find a Grado sound in anyplace you look. It's definitely a very special sound.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

However, IEMs sound different in different ear canals; just like speakers sounds different in different rooms.

That's a very good point. That's why it's really best to try before you buy.

The trouble is it's a lot harder to try out IEM's first than headphones, there are sanitary considerations after all.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekreeper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, an IEM can't possibly be a perfect replacement for a full-size Grado. You have to make do with tiny millimeter-size drivers that cost quite a bit more for the equivalent amount of sound quality and in turn get the benefit of having lightweight, portable earphones with supreme isolation. I'm one of those people who gladly take that tradeoff to go along with lots of commuting and an iPod.

Are you suggesting that he simply stay with the Grados? That's definitely a valid point of view, but I inferred that he wanted a different type of headphone that Grados don't come in, since he stated:

And so I'm just suggesting Etymotics for someone who is used to a Grado sound. Nothing more. I'm not trying to deprecate the quality of a good Grado or imply that you can find a Grado sound in anyplace you look. It's definitely a very special sound.

I am just suggesting that many people who like Grados may find ETYS to cold and shrill. IEMS are very ear canal specific. In different ears they sound really very diffrent.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

That's a very good point. That's why it's really best to try before you buy.

The trouble is it's a lot harder to try out IEM's first than headphones, there are sanitary considerations after all.

Very good point. You need to buy them from Headphone.com or anyone place that gives you a 30 day return possibility.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 35
uh, hello? Have we all forgotten about UE? IMO, you want GrIEMdo, you want a pair of super.fis or triple.fis. Very upfront and personal, lots of nice bass and treble to boot. Very intimate sounding.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I am just suggesting that many people who like Grados may find ETYS to cold and shrill. IEMS are very ear canal specific. In different ears they sound really very diffrent.

Have you tried the ER-4S? I really haven't heard too many people describe them as cold and shrill. The treble is a lot smoother that the ER-4P's.

I agree with you on many points, Grados simply can't be replaced, and IEMs will surely sound different in different peoples ears.

But I firmly believe that the OP's desires will be better satisfied by Etys than by the other IEM's that are widely available.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Have you tried the ER-4S? I really haven't heard too many people describe them as cold and shrill. The treble is a lot smoother that the ER-4P's.

I agree with you on many points, Grados simply can't be replaced, and IEMs will surely sound different in different peoples ears.

But I firmly believe that the OP's desires will be better satisfied by Etys than by the other IEM's that are widely available.

I have had
ETYS 4s,4p,6
Shure e500,E4c
UE10

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by L7R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But for amps I'm actually looking for one that match grados. I've been reading amp forum and I'm going to buy one if I could find one at 200$ shipped. Actually I would like to buy a tube amp but there aren't many available at that price. I wanted it to be a little warm sounding, but I've read many of those chinese tube amps are made for sennheisers so I'm little worried if they sound too bright with SR225's? Any help is greatly appreciated. There's Little dot2++ and Xiang Sheng 708B, but there aren't many Grado owners who own them according to my findings? It doesn't really matter if its tube or not (they could provide heat in Finnish winter) if it provide good "synergy" with SR225's.

I have an Eddie Current EC/SS on the way, though it's just a bit above your price range. Be careful with tube amps, especially on the 225's. They can add much silk and warmth, but at the same time they can mess up the Grado's top end sparkle and funk.

In any case, start upgrading your source! 225's scale well with better equipment.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #28 of 35
Has anyone suggested the E500's over the E4's?

I have both and if I switch to the E4's it takes me some time to readjust but I do tend to enjoy the sound after awhile. I will say this that the jump from the E4's to E500's is smaller than the jump from E2's to E4's...

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #29 of 35
Keep your lovely SR225 and buy GS1000. This way you have two Grado's which unlike many, but pretty great, ways from each other.

After you will listen to GS1 your hair will be falling out, metaphorically speaking of course.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh, hello? Have we all forgotten about UE? IMO, you want GrIEMdo, you want a pair of super.fis or triple.fis. Very upfront and personal, lots of nice bass and treble to boot. Very intimate sounding.

imo, no way the super.fi 5pro. they are way too far from the grado sound. muffled highs and bloated bass. they are maybe more like stock akg k81dj but nothing like the sr225. i've not heard the triple.fi so i can't comment on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back