I'm sad... and I want to tell you why. From grados to nowhere?
Jun 14, 2007 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

L7R

Head-Fier
I have to share this, fellas...

I have been "grado guy" since I got my SR225's about 6 months ago. Before then my main phones were "classic" MDR-7506 studio monitors for years. I found Grados perfect match to my taste. Just every bit better than 7506's. Crystal clear with precise attention to every single detail to the recording. Very, very rich sound with full of life. Separation of instruments is just very good, which makes sound -in my opinion, "airy". And the "attack" and emotion what they give to music is magnificent. They are just soulful phones. Many say grados perform well with rock, but in my mind they perform excellent with music. They just detach every instrument from the recording and put every performer close to you. You just pick the one you like to listen -or just relax and enjoy them all at once. Just like when in live concert.

Now to shures. I got my new E4's couple of days ago and I must say I'm not very impressed their sq. First, I have to say I made my decision with a lots of time. I'm not much of a writer, so I'm just lurking here every once in awhile (best to avoid if wallet is empty, you know). So after lots and lots of reading what iem could be best for me I decided to go with shures. Other choice was Etymotics (er4 or er6). There aren't many topics here asking "what iem sounds like grado -if any?". So I picked shures because of their good reviews.

What I like about is comfort and they look and feel very sturdy. Seal was not a problem and I found good seal almost immediatelly. There are great details like how the cord go behind the ear without lots of microphonics. Cable feels robust and you can tighten it behind your neck very securely if youre moving.

Then the most important aspect; How they sound? I almost immediately realized they might not suit me well, if at all. I burned them 24h in a row after first listen. I didn't notice much change after that. They sounds like, well... if they are made for people who like german-made headphones maybe (I'm from Finland btw, so no offense to anyone)?
600smile.gif

I don't know if I could describe the sound with my poor english, but they are almost completely different from grados. After listening with grados my laid back Tannoy speakers do sound a little duller, but after 3 hours with shures, Tannoys sound very lively and clear with good lower end. In my mind e4's sound is pronounced so much from low-mid to the low highs OR the highs are just recessed or cutted (-zap-) like with razorblade. I really don't know, but all in all the sound is like they are trying too hard. It sounds little bit dull and boring with almost no air between the instruments. I mean no much of separation or details. Few examples are if you like to concentrate to drummer. In some recordings there's almost no cymbals at all in drumset, 1st track "In the presence of Enemies" from Dream Theaters new album are one example. I barely hear hi-hat until it's fully opened. And cymbals (splash-ride in second song "Forsaken", for example) sounds weak. On many recordings fast paced single/double-bassdrum got mixed with bass-guitar and lower tones of keyboards or piano, so the sound gets too "busy". That may cause a loss of details, imho.

I think i might have heard this kind of sound previously with some sennheisers or akg's, but I might be wrong. I've heard many likes to describe low-midrange emphasis sound signature to good soundstage or airyness, but to me it's almost completely otherwise. Sometimes I want to concentrate to invidual performers but it's hard if the sound is recessed in high's. Or if bass or lower mids are pronounced too much. These always depends in every person of course, but to me grados and most studio-monitors suits best. I want to hear every single detail!

Now I need your help fellow head-fiers, to decide what to do? I think these e4's are pretty expensive for using on casual walking trips or outdoors. I have "Kramer modded" (greetings kramer -ya are a star, sir!) E888's and when eq'ed with MZ-NH1 the sound is better than eq'ed E4's imho.
confused.gif

These shures are from earphonesolutions, but I don't think they accept refund or are willing to change them to other phones. Should I go with ety's? I'm not going to able to try ety's or other iem's either because where I live, so please, if you can tell me if they are more detailed or "grado-like" than shures, thank you. I really want iem's for noise-cancelling. I just can't afford more than I paid for shures.
And for sound preference, I found less bass is better than too much. E888 has a little bit more lower end emphasis than sr225 or 7506 but I can live with it. I don't like to use eq but with e888's I have to up the upper mids/highs and lower the bass/midbass too. Yeah, i know, nowadays nobody thinks E888 has too much bass but sound preferences are changed to more bass heavy than 10 years ago (back then many thought MDR-V6's were for bassheads).
basshead.gif
I think most of us don't think that way nowadays...?

ps. earphonesolutions.com are just great! I was prepared to pay 22% import tax, but they were marked the parcel as a gift with 10usd value without even asking. They are just wonderful people!

And finally a little test comparing grado vs shure with pictures:
Song is "Faraway", performed by finnish band Apocalyptica from the album Reflections.

Shure: Emotion level 0
Shure.jpg

Grado: Emotion level 1000 hairs up
Grado.jpg

Hey fellas, not from shrilling highs, no,no. Just moved by the song.
rs1smile.gif

thanks for reading, long post - bad habit.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by L7R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And finally a little test comparing grado vs shure with pictures:
Song played is Apocalyptica: Farway from the album Reflections

Shure: Emotion level 0
Shure.jpg

Grado: Emotion level 1000 hairs up
Grado.jpg

Hey fellas, not from shrilling highs, no,no. Just moved by the song.
rs1smile.gif

thanks for reading, long post - bad habit.
rolleyes.gif

That reminds me of this:

With stock ibuds

unmoved-plants.jpg

With Grados.

dancing-plants-1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 35
Sorry dude, the only phones that sound like Grado phones are Grado phones.

And believe me, I've searched high and low to try to find phones that capture the magic that Grado phones are capable of producing (see my profile for phones I've been through). I'm afraid they just don't exist - at least I haven't found anything out there yet that are capable of giving me the visceral thrill that a pair of Grados are capable of.

But don't be sad, be happy. It sometimes take people in this hobby many, many years before they find their ideal sound signature in a pair of phones.

Assuming that Grado turns out to indeed be your preferred house sound, my advice is to save up for a pair of PS-1s, and live happily ever after.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 35
its more likea headphones + amp = different sound

headphones that play your preferred genre the way you want it reproduced + track that moves you = Aural Synaesthesia.

and by the way, i challenge you to mortal kombat, i must stand for my choice in headphones.

<3

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 35
I didn't like the E4 un-EQ'd either and found many of the same faults. I actually like the ER6 much better at less than half the cost. ER4 is even better.

As mentioned, there is no substitute for that Grado sound but the etys come closer I feel and have better detail.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 35
The Etymotics have the most similar of sound signatures to the Grados. The Shures are too smooth to be equivalent to them. But IEMs are a diifferent territory, and so it's up to you to determine whether a pair is compatible to your taste but give it a try, you may like them.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 35
I think part of the problem may be your expectations for IEMs in general... people here are very enthusiastic about them, and they're pretty cool little toys, but no IEM is going to come close to a fullsized headphone the quality of an SR-225, in any way... Nevermind even sounding similar.

IEMs are just not as good, and its a trade off you make for the size and isolation.

jesse

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekreeper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etymotics have the most similar of sound signatures to the Grados. The Shures are too smooth to be equivalent to them. But IEMs are a diifferent territory, and so it's up to you to determine whether a pair is compatible to your taste but give it a try, you may like them.

Dude, I had all Etys 4s,4p, and 6 and there is no similarity at all.
2719528.jpg

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 35
Hey anadac, very funny! =)
btw. I read your vodka-fi thread. I personally prefer Finlandia -bottoms up!

Hi Imilhan! Right now I feel (at the bottom of my heart) I can live happily with my 225's. =) What I been thinking many times, if there were speakers which have gradoish sound? As I mentioned my Tannoys (MX2 Mercury) are little bit laid back, especially after long grado sessions. Hope Grado starts to make iem's and speakers too, but that will mean they should have to expand their workshop a little.

But for amps I'm actually looking for one that match grados. I've been reading amp forum and I'm going to buy one if I could find one at 200$ shipped. Actually I would like to buy a tube amp but there aren't many available at that price. I wanted it to be a little warm sounding, but I've read many of those chinese tube amps are made for sennheisers so I'm little worried if they sound too bright with SR225's? Any help is greatly appreciated. There's Little dot2++ and Xiang Sheng 708B, but there aren't many Grado owners who own them according to my findings? It doesn't really matter if its tube or not (they could provide heat in Finnish winter) if it provide good "synergy" with SR225's.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

people here are very enthusiastic about them, and they're pretty cool little toys, but no IEM is going to come close to a fullsized headphone the quality of an SR-225, in any way... Nevermind even sounding similar.

Ahh, is that so. Now I think I did expect too much for them (for the original price I maybe don't). But I thought they are much better than every earbuds (ATH-CM900, E888 for example) except maybe Yuin's.

Quote:

The Shures are too smooth to be equivalent to them. But IEMs are a diifferent territory, and so it's up to you to determine whether a pair is compatible to your taste but give it a try, you may like them.

I found earphonesolutions has 30 days guarantee and they actually sell Ety's but no in stock. I might try and contact them if they could change them to ety's with some fee. If ety's has more detail and I found them better, then I keep them and that's it.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Friedman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, I had all Etys 4s,4p, and 6 and there is no similarity at all.

I do admit, the resemblance is hard to find, but if you compare the lines of UE, Shure, Etymotic and Westone, you'd find that the Etymotics come closest to the sound signatures of the Grados, but of course you will never find the immense soundstage of open headphones in an IEM. It's impossible.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

I do admit, the resemblance is hard to find, but if you compare the lines of UE, Shure, Etymotic and Westone, you'd find that the Etymotics come closest to the sound signatures of the Grados, but of course you will never find the immense soundstage of open headphones in an IEM. It's impossible.

You may as well say they are similar because they both play music. They have very different sound signatures. Etys are very cold and shrill sounding with poor low end.
They are not doing well as people tried and got very fatigued from their sound. Grado is doing as well as ever since it simply sounds more like music.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

x2... the er4 is the most Grado-like IEM I have yet heard. Second goes to the d-jays. I haven't heard an er6 in a long time.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 35
Got a chip on your shoulder, Aaron?

I'm saying, from my own personal experience, that I find the Etymotics to be most similar to the Grados, and I've done a little bit of listening with a variety of headphones. All you do is keep denying that they don't sound similar, but you don't offer an alternative that would sound more like the Grados.

From everything that he's described, from not being satisfied with the treble rolloff and wanting more detail and clarity, that the Etymotics would be what he wants as an alternative to the E4cs.

*edit* Thank you, Kramer. I'm extremely glad that you agree with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back