I'm planning my first big headphone purchase, but I'd like some advice.
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iTzKPanda

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to headphones even though I tried getting into them a few years ago and I would like to get my hands on a good pair.
I've been using cheap earbuds and headphones for the past 17 years of my life (which is all of my life, ha) and I wanted to get a decent pair of headphones as I prepare to go to college. I asked on /r/headphones but to no avail so I come to you guys because it seems like you guys know more than me. 

1. Budget - Anything under $200
  2. Source - At home it will be a Scarlett Focusrite 2i4. On-the-go will be my Galaxy Note 3
  3. Requirements for Isolation - More isolation the better. I would like at least some, but it's not a deal breaker as long as some isolation is present.
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone - Fullsized
  5. Preferred tonal balance - preferably balanced 
  6. Past headphones - The only headphone I've used for a decent amount of time is the Sennheiser HD201. To me, they would cause my ears to become hot after half an hour of use and they weren't very comfortable. I can't recall the sound quality, but I think it was decent. I guess it was a pretty good introduction to headphones considering I got them for free.
  7. Preferred Music - I normally listen to rockish stuff like Paramore, Switchfoot, Hillsong United, some melodic dubstep, blues pop (if that's a genre?) like John Mayer, and just straight up pop like Avril Lavigne or Boys Like Girls.

Aside from just listening to music, I plan on using the headphones to game on (mostly RTS games like Dota 2 and League of Legends. Occasionally fps games) and as well as using it to edit music.

I'll take them on long road trips, but those don't happen very frequently, so comfort is a biggie for me especially because at home I'll be using them for a few hours at a time.

What I'm looking for in headphones (excluding cost because I stated my budget), are sound and comfort. If they look good, that would be an even better bonus. 

I've looked mainly at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x because of the different cables and they seem to be favored by a lot of people (including one of my favorite Youtubers) and the Beyerdynamic DT770 because of how it's highly favored against the M50xs on some websites.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5

You'll get more help in the help section
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back