I'm paralyzed
Nov 9, 2006 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
After a couple years of thinking about what to buy, I'm just paralyzed. I've saved up about $1000 to spend on audio. There are so many options and so many opinions, I just can't decide.

How about this for a starting point... If you had $1000, how would you divide the money between cans/amp/source? I guess that's my first question to answer.

I've got a little Sony desktop source with an optical out, so I can use that for a source, if need be. I listen to opera, mostly, with a little cheesy pop thrown in for sappy evenings.

Any thoughts? I'd sure appreciate any input.

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 18
If you're content enough with your source, for $995.00 at Headroom you can get the K701+Desktop Amp/DAC package.

Link

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 18
Personally, given that you've obviously saved up hard for this stuff, I would advise perhaps that you go for second hand stuff. That way, if you dont like it, you can sell it on for minimal or no loss, or even a profit if you get good bargain. Essentially free hifi
biggrin.gif
But seriously, if you buy new you will be stung by depreciation, and will lose money.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 18
Opera fan? Get some electrostatics. You should be able to get a Stax Lambda/x0x setup for less than a grand. jm2c.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86
If you're content enough with your source, for $995.00 at Headroom you can get the K701+Desktop Amp/DAC package.

Link

I'll second this suggestion. I love my K701s for classical and opera! I've also heard the K701s off of Headroom's equipment and they match nicely. It makes for a very nice one stop shopping. That or try your best to get to a meet so you can try some stuff out.

Good luck!

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
How about this for a starting point... If you had $1000, how would you divide the money between cans/amp/source?

I would have spent my $1000 on something like this:
* iPod nano (8GB) -> $249.00
* Stax SR-001 MKII -> $239.00
* ALO Silk Dock (custom made) -> $115.00

Then saved the rest for future upgrades...
smily_headphones1.gif

Or perhaps followed Duggeh's advice on getting a used Stax x0x System.

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 18
I recently purchased an AKG K501 from www.zzsounds.com for $99.95 including S&H When I made the purchase I had my reservations based on all the comments on lack of bass made by other Head-Fiers. Honestly I do not see it, these K501 have plenty of bass when driven by: Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100, Heed CanAmp, Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, and The Hornet "M".

So for $100 you would get a fantastic headphone. If you like SS there are two possibilities, one by Heed and one by Craig with the ECSS. The Heed has a wider soundstage, the ECSS is more intimate. The Heed is being sold by Dan Muzquiz for $340 and the ECSS for $425 by TTVJ.

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 18
I agree with Mr. Arroyo. The K-501 is a fine headphone for opera. Vocals are terrific and, like he said, the bass is fine.

However, I've had experience with different amps. Personally, I think the PreSonus Central Station sounds incredible with the K-501. Those go around $400-$500, and it'd give you a very nice DAC as well as a headphone amp and preamp. Check out the threads about it here. You could run your Sony source into it via TOSLINK and dramatically improve your source. The Central Station sounds terrific.

I also like the HeadFive and the Dynalo with the K-501. The HeadFive is on the warm side and sounds great. The Dynalo is more like the cold, clear light of dawn. The HeadFive runs $250 and I think some are left. If you're not into DIY, the commercial version of the Dynalo is the Gilmore Lite, which runs $299. I unhesitatingly recommend either.

If I were you, I'd look into the K-501/Central Station combo. You could do it for $500 if you keep your eyes open. Put the rest in your savings account.

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Just want to double that.

Don't go crazy directly. Go to the HI-FI shops and take some time for listening sessions with different kind of set ups.
The thing is, you have the money and the stuff will be always around, just take it easy.
Opera ha, take a look at AKG K340 plus some good TUBE amp. You can buy them stock and let modd them. They are just amazing with vocal. Otherwise try K701 or K501 as well. I think you will love it with your music.

Maybe you can take a look up here, just maybe:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207933

I wish I had that kind of money, stay cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Personally, given that you've obviously saved up hard for this stuff, I would advise perhaps that you go for second hand stuff. That way, if you dont like it, you can sell it on for minimal or no loss, or even a profit if you get good bargain. Essentially free hifi
biggrin.gif
But seriously, if you buy new you will be stung by depreciation, and will lose money.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I would do this:

1.Buy whatever dac or budget CDP sounds like your thing. I would probably get a Shanling cd s100 from cattyling for 260 or so. There's probably not a better player in that price range.

2.Buy a second hand Corda head-five, k501s and hd600s.

If you like the head-five sound your gonna have to spend at least twice as much to get a significant upgrade (some would argue this would still just be a side step), so you may as well give one a listen.

3.If you prefer the k501s, sell them both and get k701s. Keep the hd600s if you like them, or if you like them but want more bass het hd650s.

4.If you find the sound of your amp and preffered headphones not warm or lush enough, pick a budget tube amp.

If you find it lacks dynamic attack (very unlikely) get some fast SS amp. Maybe a gilmore.

5. CD S100 + head five +hd600/k701= $760 max so if it were me personally I'd spend the extra getting a really good source so you can build your system around it in the future.

I'd get a CD s100 mk2 for 470 or so from cattylink.
Read about the Shanlings here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...7710&read&3&4&

At this point you will have had the best shot at getting the best value eqipment in your budget. You can always tweak your cables with spare change.

I use an Aria which by all reports is extremely similar - to many not even a clear upgrade over the head-five but despite being much more expensive is still considered good value. It's very pretty though. And opera sounds good through my 650s which will soon be replaced by 600s.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
After a couple years of thinking about what to buy, I'm just paralyzed. I've saved up about $1000 to spend on audio. There are so many options and so many opinions, I just can't decide.

How about this for a starting point... If you had $1000, how would you divide the money between cans/amp/source? I guess that's my first question to answer.

I've got a little Sony desktop source with an optical out, so I can use that for a source, if need be. I listen to opera, mostly, with a little cheesy pop thrown in for sappy evenings.

Any thoughts? I'd sure appreciate any input.

BLAudio battery powered amp with Etymotic 4S if IEMs to isolate external noise is a factor. Cost is $525 total ad the sound is smooth and musical yet detailed. Great for classical.

Click on the links below in my car system.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd get the following, and not look back:

1. Music Hall CD25.2, or CD25 (same as Shanling S100), or Cambridge Audio 640C,
2. XCAN v2, or XCAN v3, or Heed CanAmp... or, possibly, the BADA PH-12,
3. Senn HD600 (if possible with the Senn v2 or Cardas cable).

An especially synergistic combo - which is highly reviewed / regarded, especially for classical, and jazz.

And... if you buy "mint, pre-owned" stuff - you'll have some money left over.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 18
I think it's madness to recommend dynamic headphones to an opera lover with $1000. Duggeh had it right: this is a classic case for Stax. Then maybe throw in a pair of decent IEMs for portable use, and queue up a couple of arias. Maybe toss in some source improvement, if you're not happy on that front.

And mind you, I've owned or at least heard all of the dynamic headphones mentioned in this thread, apart from the etys. And I love my K340, but for an opera guy, Stax is the answer. Plus with Stax you don't have to agonize about a hundred amplification options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back