I'm not Shure...Need advice!
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service

My 840 headband is disintegrating, no replacement parts I can order...but I have a simple DIY solution and clicks no longer clicks although no major issue.

Where's the DIY solution?

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
940 is great for acoustics...vioiins...piano....u will hear all the fretworks ......bass is slamless....if u dun miss it, then go for it.
i did enjoy what its good for...v hard to beat this can on those.
biggrin.gif

I am actually quite interested in 940 but I will wait for their generation 2 and the replacement for 940.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
How long have the 940s beeb out for? When do u think the next generation will appear?

I have no idea but I think the cracking headband is a serious problem they need to first fix. Today I happen to walk pass a shop that has a DJ750, I took a look it is very plasticky and yes both side of the headband has hairline cracks. This is not due to mishandling in my opinion and more like material fatique... weak material.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 35
I have no idea but I think the cracking headband is a serious problem they need to first fix. Today I happen to walk pass a shop that has a DJ750, I took a look it is very plasticky and yes both side of the headband has hairline cracks. This is not due to mishandling in my opinion and more like material fatique... weak material.

There must be people out there who have had 940s that havent broken. Im thinking of buying another set of headphones as a backup. Any suggestions for a set with similar sound to the 940s? Are the soundmagic hp100s or at 900xs a close match?

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:
There must be people out there who have had 940s that havent broken. Im thinking of buying another set of headphones as a backup. Any suggestions for a set with similar sound to the 940s? Are the soundmagic hp100s or at 900xs a close match?

Sure, but what happen yours broke? Wheel of fortune game? No, I cannot accept that until they fixed these issues.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #24 of 35
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I am keen to audit them too.

I just got mine this morning. The build quality appears fine to me, although I do believe they could have used a stronger plastic. I was reassured by the dealer I bought them off that they had never had a pair of Shure headphones returned. 

Upon listening to them for a few minutes I wasn't initially impressed but after a few more minutes I realised how damn good these headphones are. They reveal everything & pull no punches with the clarity of instruments. I played 'Still Dre' just out of curiosity to see how they'd hold up with rap music and it sounds like your in the recording booth with Snoop Dogg. The bass is perfect on these cans cos it's so accurate without being muddy or bloated.

These headphones are perfect for my preference in sound signature as I love how forward and confronting they are. I guess in some sense the old adage, 'ignorance is bliss' also applies to headphone sound quality. Some people may just like to have their sound coloured & those people would despise these phones.

Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 35
Congrats! How much did you pay for?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:
I just got mine this morning. The build quality appears fine to me, although I do believe they could have used a stronger plastic. I was reassured by the dealer I bought them off that they had never had a pair of Shure headphones returned. 

Upon listening to them for a few minutes I wasn't initially impressed but after a few more minutes I realised how damn good these headphones are. They reveal everything & pull no punches with the clarity of instruments. I played 'Still Dre' just out of curiosity to see how they'd hold up with rap music and it sounds like your in the recording booth with Snoop Dogg. The bass is perfect on these cans cos it's so accurate without being muddy or bloated.

These headphones are perfect for my preference in sound signature as I love how forward and confronting they are. I guess in some sense the old adage, 'ignorance is bliss' also applies to headphone sound quality. Some people may just like to have their sound coloured & those people would despise these phones.

Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Pleased you enjoy them - take very good care of them though - the cracking at the hinge issue (over time) is very real.  Very much a design flaw.

As a past owner of both the SRH840 and SRH940 - I'd be careful about the statement I outlined in red above.  Of the two - the SRH840 (despite it's mid-bass hump) is the much more natural of the two.  The SRH940 is actually quite coloured in it's own way.

I'll probably rebuy the SRH840 again (despite having technically superior cans - see my sig), simply because on the value / performance scale - they are very hard to beat.  The 940's were great for jazz, and female vocals - but IMO they were too genre limited - whereas the SRH840 are the far better all-rounders.

How are you finding the bass?  That weird dip in the mid-bass was what killed it for me - just didn't sound natural long term.  Definitely a polarising can though.  Some love them - some couldn't live with them (unfortunately they weren't for me).  If you get the chance to audition the SRH840 at some stage - you definitely should though - just so you can compare the two.

Anyway - enjoy your 940's, and don't worry about what anyone else says - me included 
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Pleased you enjoy them - take very good care of them though - the cracking at the hinge issue (over time) is very real.  Very much a design flaw.

As a past owner of both the SRH840 and SRH940 - I'd be careful about the statement I outlined in red above.  Of the two - the SRH840 (despite it's mid-bass hump) is the much more natural of the two.  The SRH940 is actually quite coloured in it's own way.

I'll probably rebuy the SRH840 again (despite having technically superior cans - see my sig), simply because on the value / performance scale - they are very hard to beat.  The 940's were great for jazz, and female vocals - but IMO they were too genre limited - whereas the SRH840 are the far better all-rounders.

How are you finding the bass?  That weird dip in the mid-bass was what killed it for me - just didn't sound natural long term.  Definitely a polarising can though.  Some love them - some couldn't live with them (unfortunately they weren't for me).  If you get the chance to audition the SRH840 at some stage - you definitely should though - just so you can compare the two.

Anyway - enjoy your 940's, and don't worry about what anyone else says - me included 
wink.gif

Hey, thanks for your input. I haven't given them enough listening time to judge the bass fairly. I'll let you know once I have given them a few hours of listening. I'm only new to this audiophile journey so I may not be aware of details you more experienced guys can pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back