I'm not Shure...Need advice!
Jan 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dryvadeum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a high-end set of headphones and after reading various reviews on this site comparing the Shure 840s, 940s, Denon 2000, AT M50 some of the Beyerdynamic's etc. I have narrowed in on the Shure 940s based on my listening criteria.

I listen to a lot of jazz, prog rock & fusion & the occasional taste of heavy metal. Would the Shure 940s be compatible with this type of music? I want good clarity & seperation in the sound & also accurate bass that isn't weak but also isn't overpowering. Clarity and depth of sound are my main priority but I don't want to sacrifice bass - from what I read these aren't bass heavy, which is good but I don't want them to be too bass light either.

Can anyone give me an idea of whther I'll like these headphones?

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 35
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a high-end set of headphones and after reading various reviews on this site comparing the Shure 840s, 940s, Denon 2000, AT M50 some of the Beyerdynamic's etc. I have narrowed in on the Shure 940s based on my listening criteria.

I listen to a lot of jazz, prog rock & fusion & the occasional taste of heavy metal. Would the Shure 940s be compatible with this type of music? I want good clarity & seperation in the sound & also accurate bass that isn't weak but also isn't overpowering. Clarity and depth of sound are my main priority but I don't want to sacrifice bass - from what I read these aren't bass heavy, which is good but I don't want them to be too bass light either.

Can anyone give me an idea of whther I'll like these headphones?

From what I read they are very bass light and also have some quality issues. I went with the srh840s and felt they had the best of both worlds :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 35
From what I read I gathered that the 940s had more bass and had a higher level of detail as compared to the 840s. Detail & mid range are extremely important to me.

Problem is there's nowhere local I can try these headphones out.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 35
Where did you read the part where 940 had more bass than 840?  Of all the reviews and impressions, and personally auditioning them both, bass is where there's not more on 940 over almost every other phones, by default.  Detail, yes. Balance, no.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 35
You might also want to read about the headband cracking issues on the 940.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:
What's the issue with the headband?

That they can crack.  If you can try them both that would be awesome but honestly I love the 840s and if you really want the velour pads that the 940s have you can get them and they will fit the 840s just fine :)  I'm not sure the extra detail you get from the 940s are worth it.  You can always buy both on amazon and return the ones you dont like.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 35
True.  I very much liked what I heard from 940.  To the extent that I can't even remember how 840 was when I listened to it.  But the many reported built quality really scared me off of 940;  it made me even scared of getting 840.
I'm on search for a headphone myself.  I do believe I was pleased with 840.  Something that does well in everything, not specialized on one.
Good luck on your endeavors.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
True.  I very much liked what I heard from 940.  To the extent that I can't even remember how 840 was when I listened to it.  But the many reported built quality really scared me off of 940;  it made me even scared of getting 840.
I'm on search for a headphone myself.  I do believe I was pleased with 840.  Something that does well in everything, not specialized on one.
Good luck on your endeavors.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the 940s. If the build quality is fragile then I'll just take extra good care of them and return them if they break. I think I'll like the higher frequency range of the 940s as opposed to the 840s. I bought a Fiio e11 amp so hopefully that'll improve the bass a bit.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:
Well if you can return/exchange the item even after a week of usage, then go for it.  
That's what's missing on my side as there's not such thing as return/exchange policy.

Yeah, well I can't purchase them off Amazon cos I live in Australia. I just bought them off eBay from a reputable company. I don't think I'll need to return them cos I'm coming from a pair of Bose AE1s so anything will probably blow them out of the water.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service

My 840 headband is disintegrating, no replacement parts I can order...but I have a simple DIY solution and clicks no longer clicks although no major issue.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service

My 840 headband is disintegrating, no replacement parts I can order...but I have a simple DIY solution and clicks no longer clicks although no major issue.

Thanks for directing me to that link.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 35
940 is great for acoustics...vioiins...piano....u will hear all the fretworks ......bass is slamless....if u dun miss it, then go for it.
i did enjoy what its good for...v hard to beat this can on those.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back