I'm looking for something Beautiful.
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #19 of 34
Definitely some Beethoven, and Mahler. I second the soundtracks suggestion, especially Ennio Morricone.

For 'pop', try some Daniel Lanois... Bela Fleck, Bruce Cockburn. Wilco.

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 34
Ahh jeez, I really need to catchup and take the time to listen to all these suggestions!

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #22 of 34
x2 for Arvo Part's "Te Deum". The Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir has a beautiful recording; gives me goosebumps!

Also recommended: "Pictures of Soul", an album by Omar Sosa and Adam Rudolph. I'm not sure this can be easily described; maybe look up Omar Sosa on Wikipedia, if you're not familiar with him already.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #23 of 34
Sasha Dobson - "If not for dreams"

Her voice is soooo sweet in this and her breath tickles the back of your neck. Extraordinary microphone placement.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eva Cassidy - Songbird

X2 to that, may I also suggest..........
413845Q2EML.jpg

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 34
Wow, good job on the LOTR OST. Really liking this, very emotional.

I listened to what versions of things you all recommended online and definetely have some things I need to pick up:
Arvo Part "Te Deum"
Bach's English Suites
Beethoven's 6th
Eurythmics "Peace"
Some Mahler (anything specifically?)

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 34
Well, I'd like to add a few to the list:

Elgar - Nimrod from the Enigma Variations

Mahler - Adagio (mvt. 4) from Symphony No. 5

Barber - Adagio for strings

With the barber, I personally prefer Agnus Dei which is a choral arrangement that he made of adagio for strings, but I think both pieces are worth having in a personal library of music.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 34
Anything by Eric Whitacre. His Vocal Works are stunning, but his band works are in my opinion even better. October remains the single greatest song I have ever heard and/or performed, and Equus is stunning as well. I can only find them on one album apiece on Amazon and haven't heard those specific recordings to vouch for; however, if you have a University nearby their library would almost certainly have recordings of his works somewhere.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #30 of 34
If you like soundtracks, check out the trio of "The Mission," "Room With a View" and "Cinema Paradiso."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back