I'm looking for something Beautiful.
Dec 1, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Gautama

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm tired of the music I have now. I'm tired of my toe-tappy jazz, and my aggressive/grungy rock, and everything else I have.

I once had a bookmark to a putfile page where a guys high school orchestra performed a David Gillingham song, and it was beautiful. That's what I'm looking for. Something very emotional, something that will move you.

Anything come to mind?

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 34
I think Kosi Comes Around by DJ Koze is the most beautiful album I have heard. It is electronica, and it sounds like you are looking more for guitar and vocals but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Cocorosie's first album is very beautiful I think. So is There's No Home by Jana Hunter, which is slightly more traditional folk-type music and maybe a better album.

Do you listen to much shoegazer stuff? Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, Nowhere by Ride and Souvlaki by Slowdive are great.

I have a heard that Sigur Ros is very beautiful music, but I have only heard a couple songs.

There are lots of types of beauty in music, and all of it is subjective. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Happy listening.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 34
some more ...

fovea hex

cocteau twins: heaven or las vegas

soundtracks: badelt/zimmer: the pledge; morricone: america; glass: kundun; goldsmith: alien; horner: brainstorm; kilar: neuvieme porte; vangelis: blade runner/antarctica; zimmer: thin red line/regarding henry; mansell: fountain; martinez: solaris

landberk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paatos

bjornstad/darling: river

goldfrapp: felt mountain

opeth: damnation

biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 34
Do you like classical? A lot of it can be dark and/or highly dynamic - not soothing. When I want to chill out, I usually reach for some Arvo Part. Te Deum or Alina are good places to start. Bach's English Suites are good and so is Beethoven's 6th.

Some electronica is good, as well. Try Brian Eno's Ambient series and I love Tangerine Dream.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm looking for. Something very emotional, something that will move you. Anything come to mind?

Some that are a bit on the darker side ...

Joan Armatrading - Show Some Emotion
Nina Nastasia - Dogs
Me'Shell Ndege'Ocello - Bitter
Cat Power - Moon Pix
Rachel's - The Sea and the Bells
Rachmaninov - The Isle of the Dead (Reiner)

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 34
Some assorted styles:

Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
Avalanches - Since I Left You
Radiohead - Kid A
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
Talking Heads - Remain In Light (2nd half is especially beautiful)

this might be edited later

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 34
I just remembered the name of the song I had in mind-- "The Echo Never Fades" by David R. Gillingham uploaded from none other than Head-Fi's own wafflesomd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back