I'm looking for.. a lot of bass and forward mids
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Playstation

500+ Head-Fier
I've really been eyeballing the Ultrasone Pro900. Until I read a review that the mids were lacking.

So what i'd prefer is superior bass like the Ultrasone Pro900 have or close. But if i had to choose something that lacked, i'd choose highs to lack over mids.

So..

Bass - like Ultrasones PRO900 or vey close.
Mids - as close to Senn HD598s without compromising bass.
Highs - meh decent should suffice, but without compromising mids.

What would you all recommend?

Thanks

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Hello
confused.gif

I have yet to hear anything that can reproduce midrange as well as the 598, though I haven't heard any of the super expensive cans. 

HD 600/ 650 are more oriented towards bass/ midrange, and rolls off treble rather quickly. HD650 clearly has more bass than the 600 or the 598, though I found it very fat and too warm. You should try to listen to it though and come up with your own opinions. 

A headphone that just came to my mind was the V-Moda M80, which is known for having a good amount of bass and midrange, while somewhat having a trifle dull treble. But it's an on-ear and it's not as comfortable as circumaural designs, nor does it sound as good as one. 

Btw anytime you have a lot of bass (or treble), it's very hard to reproduce the midrange right. As volume goes up, human perception of bass and treble becomes far louder than the midrange. The 598s are an extremely well balanced phone tonally, with more upfront vocals which make them amazing for vocal music. Not so great for very linear genres like electronic dance /dubstep / hip hop that require constant emphasis on the bass but for anything else, it's amazing.

You seem like a basshead though so maybe, don't even bother with the 598. There are other options like the Denon series that have good amount of bass impact. Midrange is recessed like everyone saids, but as a bass heavy phone, that's understandable. 

I know I'm digressing a lot but do you mind getting a closed headphone? Closed headphones are usually preferred for bass heavy music. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 15
I have yet to hear anything that can reproduce midrange as well as the 598, though I haven't heard any of the super expensive cans. 

HD 600/ 650 are more oriented towards bass/ midrange, and rolls off treble rather quickly. HD650 clearly has more bass than the 600 or the 598, though I found it very fat and too warm. You should try to listen to it though and come up with your own opinions. 

A headphone that just came to my mind was the V-Moda M80, which is known for having a good amount of bass and midrange, while somewhat having a trifle dull treble. But it's an on-ear and it's not as comfortable as circumaural designs, nor does it sound as good as one. 

Btw anytime you have a lot of bass (or treble), it's very hard to reproduce the midrange right. As volume goes up, human perception of bass and treble becomes far louder than the midrange. The 598s are an extremely well balanced phone tonally, with more upfront vocals which make them amazing for vocal music. Not so great for very linear genres like electronic dance /dubstep / hip hop that require constant emphasis on the bass but for anything else, it's amazing.

You seem like a basshead though so maybe, don't even bother with the 598. There are other options like the Denon series that have good amount of bass impact. Midrange is recessed like everyone saids, but as a bass heavy phone, that's understandable. 

I know I'm digressing a lot but do you mind getting a closed headphone? Closed headphones are usually preferred for bass heavy music. 

I own the 598s. They work very well when listening to classical music. They lack bass, though the lower end of the mids range doesn't sound bad.
I feel the 598s struggle with any real bass that you hear in rap/dance music.

Not interested in anymore Senns.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
I own the 598s. They work very well when listening to classical music. They lack bass, though the lower end of the mids range doesn't sound bad.
I feel the 598s struggle with any real bass that you hear in rap/dance music.
Not interested in anymore Senns.

Yes the Sennheisers are not great for music that requires speed (metal) or constant bass awareness (dance/ rap/ hiphop/ dubstep). Out of all those genres, I only listen to metal however. To appreciate the Sennheisers, you have to listen to a wider variety of genres, something with a lot of vocals, an atmosphere, and every aspect of the frequency spectrum. But I'm surprised you thought they lacked bass when you thought the bass on the 555s were sufficient (they're bass lean). The 598s have more bass than the 555/595. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 15
Yes the Sennheisers are not great for music that requires speed (metal) or constant bass awareness (dance/ rap/ hiphop/ dubstep). Out of all those genres, I only listen to metal however. To appreciate the Sennheisers, you have to listen to a wider variety of genres, something with a lot of vocals, an atmosphere, and every aspect of the frequency spectrum. But I'm surprised you thought they lacked bass when you thought the bass on the 555s were sufficient (they're bass lean). The 598s have more bass than the 555/595. 

The 555s were for competitive gaming. My 598s were for competitive gaming & classical music. Neither of which have bass. And if I was speaking about bass and the 555s in the old post, I clearly didn't know what I was talking about. In the past, what I might have called bass was in actuality forward sounding mids that had decent depth.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 15
In the past, what I might have called bass was in actuality forward sounding mids that had decent depth.

:confused_face_2:

Anyways, the HD 600/650 are a good pick for rap music, not too much on the bottom end, but fairly good impact and tonality. Nothing at all like the 59x series.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or PRO2900. The 2900 is the better of two, in every way. Costs more though.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The 555s were for competitive gaming. My 598s were for competitive gaming & classical music. Neither of which have bass. And if I was speaking about bass and the 555s in the old post, I clearly didn't know what I was talking about. In the past, what I might have called bass was in actuality forward sounding mids that had decent depth.

The 598s are fantastic with classical music. Its treble is non-fatiguing which is fantastic for my Bach Organ Trio Sonatas and modern music with a lot of cymbals. The midrange is amazing for the cello. For orchestra/ chamber music, imaging is excellent with good depth and width from the soundstage. However, I think they could use some more mid-bass (100-200 khtz) for piano music. A good idea is to EQ that region by about 3 db. Not more than that though because the bass will start leaking into the mids, a common problem for bass heavy phones like the M50s. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 15
No more Senn cans for me. I've had 3 different Senn models. It's time for something with a lot more bass and decent mids.

How much more bass? And define "decent mids" - the HD 600 and 650 are probably among the best in terms of a neutral and accurate midrange until you start spending huge money.

Anyways, try the Ultrasones I mentioned.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Anyways, the HD 600/650 are a good pick for rap music, not too much on the bottom end, but fairly good impact and tonality. Nothing at all like the 59x series.
Otherwise, I'd look at the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or PRO2900. The 2900 is the better of two, in every way. Costs more though.
No more Senn cans for me. I've had 3 different Senn models. It's time for something with a lot more bass and decent mids.[/quote]

Ultrasones have nice textured bass, though arguably its midrange and treble leaves me wanting more. Sennheisers actually perform quite well in the mids department. 

The bass on the 600 has more impact than the 598 but barely, considering the bigger soundstage of the 598. The 650s have a lot of bass, rendering it a dark presentation, although I do not like the bass of it (bit too slow/ muddy). I think it's time for you try a different type of brand. All the Sennheisers - including the 598/ 800 which are the least similar - have a similar smooth signature. Perhaps you should look into the Denons. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Q40 is the only thing I can think of and I have similar priorities as you, very bassy & as forward mids as possible. It has very similar bass to PRO900, probably the most similar (bass quantity, texture, punchiness) you'll find but with more forward mids and less emphasized highs. Needs some amping too, especially the midrange takes the biggest hit if not amping it properly, with the right amp it has slightly forward and pretty detailed mids at its price for a closed headphone and huge bass with neutral highs. I don't know what amp is good, at least I know digiZoid ZO2.1 is a nice fit at the lower level bass contour levels but they only sell ZO2.3 these days and it's not very nice with Q40 and pairs much worse than ZO2.1.

Do you already have amp and what source are you using/plan to use?

EDIT: Just don't take my word for it, compare FR graphs of Ultrasone PRO900 vs Q40 on Goldenears site:

PRO900:

Q40:

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I've really been eyeballing the Ultrasone Pro900. Until I read a review that the mids were lacking.
So what i'd prefer is superior bass like the Ultrasone Pro900 have or close. But if i had to choose something that lacked, i'd choose highs to lack over mids.
So..
Bass - like Ultrasones PRO900 or vey close.
Mids - as close to Senn HD598s without compromising bass.
Highs - meh decent should suffice, but without compromising mids.
What would you all recommend?
Thanks

Heya,

Take any headphone that you like, add a Fiio product with the bass EQ/switch, boom, +3 db to bass which is actually huge, and it does it without distortion.

If you want to keep it simple, an M-Audio Q40 with a Fiio E7/10/11/17 for example would do it. Serious bass. Great mids. Very relaxed treble. I consider this better than the PRO900 in every way except comfort (PRO series ultrasones are at least very comfortable and stylish, if nothing else).

Over time, I've come to the conclusion that the PRO900 is over-rated. Sure, it's very bassy, but it's all mid-bass, and you're getting an otherwise very wonky sounding headphone with shrilled treble that just makes it not worth it for the high cost of such a wonky headphone. The PRO750 is the better headphone in the line in my opinion. But Ultrasone in general is a "you like it, or you don't" type signature. I find Ultrasone to sound artificial, metallic.

Another option is the Brainwavz HM5 or Fischer Audio FA003 with the Fiio's. They can get serious with bass too.

And of course, the Denon D2000 & D5000. These would be ideal.

Very best,

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

Take any headphone that you like, add a Fiio product with the bass EQ/switch, boom, +3 db to bass which is actually huge, and it does it without distortion.

If you want to keep it simple, an M-Audio Q40 with a Fiio E7/10/11/17 for example would do it. Serious bass. Great mids. Very relaxed treble. I consider this better than the PRO900 in every way except comfort (PRO series ultrasones are at least very comfortable and stylish, if nothing else).

Over time, I've come to the conclusion that the PRO900 is over-rated. Sure, it's very bassy, but it's all mid-bass, and you're getting an otherwise very wonky sounding headphone with shrilled treble that just makes it not worth it for the high cost of such a wonky headphone. The PRO750 is the better headphone in the line in my opinion. But Ultrasone in general is a "you like it, or you don't" type signature. I find Ultrasone to sound artificial, metallic.

Another option is the Brainwavz HM5 or Fischer Audio FA003 with the Fiio's. They can get serious with bass too.

And of course, the Denon D2000 & D5000. These would be ideal.

Very best,

+1 <3 denon 5000s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back