I'm lobbying to stop IC's
Mar 10, 2006 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77
I just don't get IC (interest check) in the for sale forum. In no other free market have I seen an equivalent concept. To me, you either want to sell something or you don't. If you will only sell it if you can get a certain price, just put a FS at that price. Can someone who posts IC's explain your rationale to me? I'm at a loss.

I have seen many threads now where a person puts up an IC, gets several interested responses, then confesses he does not want to sell his item after all, but thanks everyone for their interest. I say just put the thing up for sale when you're ready. Who's with me?

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
If you will only sell it if you can get a certain price, just put a FS at that price. Can someone who posts IC's explain your rationale to me? I'm at a loss.

You almost answered your own question.

Many times when people put up an IC, myself included, they don't know the current market value for a specific headphone and/or they are trying to maximize their profit by not limiting themselves to a set price. It also gives people the ability to back out of potentially selling their item based on the offers they receive.

I've rarely used IC's in the past typically because I try to research the market price of a headphone prior to listing it. I usually like to set a price in my ad when I know what I'm looking to get for the item because it facilitates a quicker sale. Something that is commonly sold, and readily available on the market, typically has a ballpark value for what it sells for on the used market(i.e. DT770/80's); however, an item like the HF-1 is completely different because there are a number of other factors affecting its price(i.e. limited edition, high demand, etc).

IC's exist because of the free market. I'm at a loss for why they bother you so much.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 77
What? If it's such a big deal ignore it. It's a free market.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 77
There's no functional difference between an interest check and a for sale offering without a offer price.

I highly doubt you'll be able to lobby to stop the latter, which makes lobbying to stop the former pointless.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 77
Unlike most of the prior posters, I happen to agree with you 100%. If you're ready to sell, then post it F/S and have the guts to name a price.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
I just don't get IC (interest check) in the for sale forum. In no other free market have I seen an equivalent concept. To me, you either want to sell something or you don't. If you will only sell it if you can get a certain price, just put a FS at that price. Can someone who posts IC's explain your rationale to me? I'm at a loss.

I have seen many threads now where a person puts up an IC, gets several interested responses, then confesses he does not want to sell his item after all, but thanks everyone for their interest. I say just put the thing up for sale when you're ready. Who's with me?

I hear ya. I think on these boards an IC usually means "I am selling to the highest bidder but I don't have the guts to come out and say it". I have put up an IC for trades to see if is even possible but then get a bunch of offers for a FS anyway. Down with ICs!

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 77
Now we're getting interesting. The last two posters also see the point - that the issue is whether or not you'll allow sellers to solicit bids or require all for sales to have a, presumably, contractual offer price.

Honestly, I don't see how it helps to say someone has to "name a price." Effectively, that results in many sales situations transitioning into those of extended negotiation or other price signaling games. How that's any better than the bid-solicitation process behind an "interest check" is beyond me.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 77
Yeah, naming a price doesn't mean that you'll sell at that price. Negotiations will still occur. I honestly don't see a problem with letting pseudo-auctions happen. It's economically efficient to let things go to the one with the highest willingness to pay.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 77
I did it for curiosity, basically i had, and still have no clue what my amp actually is worth in the market.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Honestly, I don't see how it helps to say someone has to "name a price." Effectively, that results in many sales situations transitioning into those of extended negotiation or other price signaling games. How that's any better than the bid-solicitation process behind an "interest check" is beyond me.

Best,

-Jason

That's a really good point that I hadn't fully thought out, Jason. I guess my disdain for interest checkers is that IC'ing seems to suggest a lack of courage (or knowledge) to step up to the plate and just declare a price you're willing to sell them for.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 77
with the original poster. I think it's assinine. You obviously want to sell your product if you're listing it as an IC so, grow a pair and list it as a FS. If you're not sure on the price (which I don't understand unless it's SO unique, rare, etc.) list it high and see what happens. Keep dropping price until someone bites.

I always offfer $5.00 for ICs. Hopefully it's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back