I'm gonna say this once...
Dec 25, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my laptops for music, much quieter than my desktop and was even thinking of getting a mac mini as that should be even quieter.

Me too definatly thinking of getting a mac mini. not sure about the laptop though, im a bit wary to go buy a decent laptop as they age faster than desktops, after all if i get a decent desktop i can reupgrade the cpu, mobo etc.
Ive heard that zalman 'flower' fans are extremely good cpu cooling solution and also very quiet being much larger that your average fan.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm definitely going to do something about this fan.

The box being in a different room idea is sweet. Not sure whether my landlord would approve of a hole in the wall. But best to ask for forgiveness than permission.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

LOL. I love that last sentence.
In my case, I can't stand the noise when I'm going to sleep, and even the slightest humm bothers me, so there wasn't a choice in my case, silencing the case would have costed me the money I never had nor will
tongue.gif
Here in Argentina every dollar costs us 3 pesos, so we have to save 3 times as much, and then what costs 100usd in US here it costs 200usd minimum. So there you have, having to save up from 6 to 9 times as much
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 47
I am thinking of using my dual G5 PowerMac as file server in the basement and using my MacBook as my main rig...which is dead silent. The only problem is they don't make 200gig 2.5 notebook HD
frown.gif
My iTunes library alone is about 100gig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me about it. It's the single most problematic thing about switching to a computer as the main rig. My PowerMac G5 whines even when idle, which is reason no. 1 why I'm probably going to forgo power and upgrade-ability for a quiet little Mac mini.

--Chris

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainstorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Antec p180 - http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800 - it's a case built to reduce noise. I've got some friends who are the "hardcore" gamer types who use this case and I have to say it's pretty damn effective.

Quietest case I've used yet and it comes with pretty decent stock fans. Set them to low and according to spcr, it's about 20db. I'm thinking of replacing them since I can still hear them (barely), or I could move back to my cd player for dedicated listening.

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 47
Dec 26, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it even be possible to put my old crap dell desktop into one of those things? if a hundred bucks makes this thing silent, it's worth it!

You could but you might have to replace the Dell's PSU. Power supplies are a huge source of noise as well. Hopefully the stock heatsink on the cpu is okay, as well the graphics card. Otherwise, silencing that computer could cost much more than just the case. Oh yeah, because of the way the PSU is oriented in that case (on the bottom), you need long cables. Might not be the most user friendly case for an older computer. Works well for configurations which need decent cooling and silence. For an older computer with less demanding needs, I'd recommend a cheaper Antec case like the Sonata, which comes with a PSU included.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it even be possible to put my old crap dell desktop into one of those things? if a hundred bucks makes this thing silent, it's worth it!

Nope. Dell have used BTX for quite awhile now, and the P180 is ATX. Unless your Dell is really old, in which case.. maybe. The PSU in current Dells are also a unique dimension.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #41 of 47
By the way, an easy solution is to put the PC under your desk, instead of on the desk. The louder sounds that the PC emits generally isn't multi-directional, coming out from the front and the back only.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #42 of 47
I built an AMD64(939) 3200+ about a year ago, it has 3 120MM Fans well actually 4 as the PSU also has a 120MM fan. I keep it under my desk and I barely here it with my headphones off. With my headphones on it's completely inaudible, the noisiest thing in my listening room is the damned ceiling fan, but thats what you get for living in hot and humid Florida.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no point having a >$2500 system if you have a stupid computer fan that goes:

WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRR

KrooL is very annoyed at his computer!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

that's why there's IEM. IEM is superior to all... get some.
etysmile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of using my dual G5 PowerMac as file server in the basement and using my MacBook as my main rig...which is dead silent. The only problem is they don't make 200gig 2.5 notebook HD
frown.gif
My iTunes library alone is about 100gig.

A beautiful and powerful machine like that in the basement!?!? I'd at least sell it and buy something older (a PowerMac G4 or even G3) if it's just going to be a file server. Take the difference between the two and buy more hi-fi equipment!

If your iTunes library is too big for an internal drive, why not keep the music you want to take with you on the MacBook and all the rest on your file server? You can then either stream the music to your MacBook or set up multiple libraries with one library pointing to the file server (via a remote directory mounted on your MacBook).

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back