I'm going to get a pair of IEM's for Christmas that will mainly be used for rock: um2's or um3's?
Dec 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting a pair of IEM's for Christmas that will be used for various types of music, but MAINLY rock-type music: think Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, etc.
My price range is around $300, and I'm looking at um2's and um3's. I've previously had a pair of Triple fi 10's but they broke, so I'm stuck with a breaking pair of Shure EC2's and looking to upgrade. For some reason the Westone's just seem to be stuck in my head.Would they have a good sound signature for rock? Good isolation and comfort would also be factors. Keep in mind that the source will be a stock iPod touch. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 3
I have both, It depends on how intent your listening is and the general environment. UM2's are great all around and have been very durable for me. I know what you mean about the Shure's I've broken several pairs. The only thing that was even remotely non-bulletproof on the Westone has been the cord. That's not to say it's bad, they've lasted longer than anyone else's. But getting back to your post, you will be spoiled by the UM3's they are UM2's with "more". I think the UM2's would be just fine for you (some prefer the sound signature of the W3's and W2's). They were more comfortable than all of the Shure products I've had ( Never owned the 530's but all others). I listen to similar music and yes they'll play rock just fine. UM3's sound more natural, whole, much more noticeable with acoustic passages. You can tell back to back but if you try the UM2's first I think you'll be happy. I'd recommend the replaceable cable version.

Great company

Users who are viewing this thread

Back