I'm Done (Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition) VS GR06
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #226 of 408
I'm pretty much sold on the GR02 BEs for my next pair of IEMs (to replace a pair of Sony MDR-EX76s), but there a few things I'm not sure about. Could anyone enlighten me as to whether the relatively long looking strain reliefs on the earpieces make it any harder to wear the GR02s over-the-ear (i.e. upside down)?

I'd also appreciate any insight into the cable - the last few sets of earphones I've had, mainly Sony EX-series, have had slick(ish) rubbery cables which fold easily for storage in a pocket, whereas the Brainwavz M2s I tried early last year had a much more "tangle-resistant" feeling to the cable which I didn't go for, as it seemed to keep its shape (when tangled/wrapped) much more stubbornly.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #227 of 408
They will work but you may not get them right down to main v between your ear and your head, depends on the size of you ear - here is a picture

Also the cables on the VSonics are great, probably the most tangle free I own and do that rubbery feel to them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #229 of 408

They will work but you may not get them right down to main v between your ear and your head, depends on the size of you ear - here is a picture

Also the cables on the VSonics are great, probably the most tangle free I own and do that rubbery feel to them.

+1. The strain reliefs don't get in the way of over-the-ear wearing. The cables are also absolutely tangle free despite how thin they are. They're stiff enough to resist tangling and bending but supple enough that they won't kink. The build of the entire IEM itself is fantastic.

That being said I plan on selling my pair. I need the money to fund other purchases. I enjoyed listening to these but sadly they're not getting enough head time. They're too precious (to me at least) to be lugged around at work and I prefer my D80s for at-home listening. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #231 of 408
No the mids are definitely not recessed, they are nice and full with good punch.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #233 of 408
Well, my GR-02s are now dead - sound cutting out in left ear after 3 months of (admittedly, heavy) use. 2-3 hours per day 7 days a week.

Can't say I'm amazingly impressed with that lifespan - it's no better than most other headphones I've owned. I put it down to having to wear them over the ear (as above) and the constant cable twisting and adjustment involved. They were great sounding, though I have others almost as good at less than half the price.

Might buy some more if they are still available, but might go back to my JVCs first - I sill have a couple of pairs of them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #234 of 408
Quote:
Are the gr02 BE mid recessed?

Yes, they are. Also, definitely not full sounding - the note presentation is on the thin side. Clarity is pretty decent though but vocals can be slightly dry and grainy. Bass is good in quantity but has a softer impact like the gr06. The highs are pretty much spot on for me but can be slightly harsh if you're sensitive.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #235 of 408
Yes, they are. Also, definitely not full sounding - the note presentation is on the thin side. Clarity is pretty decent though but vocals can be slightly dry and grainy. Bass is good in quantity but has a softer impact like the gr06. The highs are pretty much spot on for me but can be slightly harsh if you're sensitive.

So they're a little V or U shaped according to you?
I want to try a VSonic product but I'm undecided between gr02 BE and gr06. I'm sure I'll like a mid-centric sound like the GR06 but I was hoping that maybe the Gr02 was more balanced or neutral with a touch of warmness. From what you describe (thin and dry) I wouldn't like the GR02.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #236 of 408
I would say V-shaped. The lower mids are more recessed though. The Gr04 flagship is closer to balanced than the gr06 - less mid-forward and warm. The gr04 flagship also has tighter bass and better impact as both the gr02 and the gr06's bass is on the soft side. You might also check the VC02 - it's the most balanced and neutral of the bunch although I do like the gr04 flagship's presentation a lot more.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #237 of 408
I would say V-shaped. The lower mids are more recessed though. The Gr04 flagship is closer to balanced than the gr06 - less mid-forward and warm. The gr04 flagship also has tighter bass and better impact as both the gr02 and the gr06's bass is on the soft side. You might also check the VC02 - it's the most balanced and neutral of the bunch although I do like the gr04 flagship's presentation a lot more.

You scare me because I hate V-shaped sounds and you are the only saying this, why? :p
ClieOS describes the GR02 BE as "warm and fairly equal in all frequencies", but I guess that "fairly" equals to v-shaped :)

I'm even more confused now, is the gr04 flagship the R04?

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #238 of 408
Quote:
You scare me because I hate V-shaped sounds and you are the only saying this, why? :p
ClieOS describes the GR02 BE as "warm and fairly equal in all frequencies", but I guess that "fairly" equals to v-shaped
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm even more confused now, is the gr04 flagship the R04?

Well, for me the Gr02 BE was enjoyable a lot more with decored shure olives which add some warmth. It's not super V-shaped but it's definitely not the most versatile iem and definitely not for everyone - you might like it or you might hate it - I did like its treble a lot but that's it. The gr04 flagship is the one that has 50 ohm impedance http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR04-Flagship-Edition-/221154684979?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item337dd8b033 . The gr04 flagship is mid-forward but not as much as the gr06 and if you have the sony mh1c you can use its tips to make it even better and more neutral

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #239 of 408
Well, for me the Gr02 BE was enjoyable a lot more with decored shure olives which add some warmth. It's not super V-shaped but it's definitely not the most versatile iem and definitely not for everyone - you might like it or you might hate it - I did like its treble a lot but that's it. The gr04 flagship is the one that has 50 ohm impedance http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR04-Flagship-Edition-/221154684979?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item337dd8b033 . The gr04 flagship is mid-forward but not as much as the gr06 and if you have the sony mh1c you can use its tips to make it even better and more neutral

I think I'm going with the gr04 flagship especially because I read it's the one for quality before the gr07.
One thing, can you drive the gr04 with a simple portable player?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #240 of 408
Yeah, the gr04 flagship is the closest to gr07. It's slight behind in extension on both ends but does have almost spot-on decay times and drums sound awesome with it. One thing to mention though is that due to it mid-centric presentation its soundstage is more intimate, which I like - it's great for relaxing and enjoying the music as it has a fairly smooth and non-fatiguing presentation even at higher volume. As far as ease to drive goes - it's not very hard, so you won't need an amp as just like with the gr07 it doesn't scale a lot when amped. A decent DAP will have enough power to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back