I'm bummed out :(
Mar 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #31 of 35
I somehow 0/5'd that, and I'm a musician. Genetically poor hearing =(.
Anyways, recording quality > bitrate, by far. It depends on the audio file and encoding method, but differences between bitrate can be very insignificant to your ear, no matter how good your setup is. Modern audio codecs have gotten pretty darn good at compressing files without losing important info. Don't be discouraged. Upgrades in equipment will improve what you hear.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #32 of 35

Quote:
Nope, my hearing can't hear passed 17Khz...
Oh well.. I have been playing the piano my whole life and am better than most people at it and I consider it a big blessing.
And noone will ever listen to 17Khz anyways so meh, I really don't care if im going deaf on the high  frequencies.

I have talked to numerous people about the 555's and M50s before buying them.(I was also looking at 558)
But from what the replies say, the M50 has more bass and a bit more clarity while the 555's have a great sound stage and are amazing for classical, though the M50's aren't too far off which many people think they are... They are great for classical just in general.(this probably doesn't concern you)
Okay, for movies,It is actually what you prefer. If you want to feel the movie(impact), you get the M50, if you want to be in the movie(sound stage), you get the 555's. =]
electronic music, M50's are better IMO.
But it is up to you. Trust your ears, not what people say.

Hahah. That's really weird, since I also play piano since I was five (and I consider myself better than most people at it too), and I can't hear over 17khz.

EDIT: For some reason I think my Bose don't work with frequencies over 17khz... that's just a hypothesis.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #33 of 35
I can hear down to about....I think it was 10hz? and I can hear up to 19KHZ but it's like an ear drill.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #34 of 35
I got 2/5 with Denon A100s and Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card. But my ears aren't good enough or trained to listen for the differences. Makes me wonder why I just spent 10 hours re-ripping some of my CDs to Apple lossless. They were in 256 to 320 MP3. Maybe the results is a good thing and will stop me from spending more money buying a external DAC and AMP.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 35
I'm a musician too! And I'm totally into making rock/electronic... and it seems the louder I turn up my amp, the better my guitar playing sounds :) 

Quote:
I somehow 0/5'd that, and I'm a musician. Genetically poor hearing =(.
Anyways, recording quality > bitrate, by far. It depends on the audio file and encoding method, but differences between bitrate can be very insignificant to your ear, no matter how good your setup is. Modern audio codecs have gotten pretty darn good at compressing files without losing important info. Don't be discouraged. Upgrades in equipment will improve what you hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back