I'm back, and I need help!
Jul 15, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #16 of 36
Seems as if you are looking for that certain "it". I doubt Senn will offer what you are looking for, especially with your tast in music. I own some Grados, Senns, etc and I say try some Grados. They have that WOW factor for many many people.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 36
Considering your avvy, perhaps some lost in translation zebra stripes would help sway you to the Dark Side...

attachment.php

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
Do you know the Muffin Man...

Titan: The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen.

(Too obscure?)

Ahem.

Yeah, Jahn is totally right. I'm familiar with much of that music, too, and think he's dead on. Except I kinda like R.E.M. on AKG. Worth trying some time. Also, consider the RS-2 and RS-1. I've got the RS-1 and could not give it a stronger recommendation. It's among the best.

If you're worried about not liking them, buy a used pair from here, eBay or Audiogon. If you don't like them, you can always sell them for just about what you paid for them. And as far as I've seen, they all sell pretty fast.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 36
After I get my CD5 (this will be good for my set up?) I think I'll try to demo a couple of things through Todd or headroom, if they will let me
tongue.gif
I guess i should try to procure a Raptor or a Home with the hd650's and GS1k's... Do you have any links to comparisons or anything? id like some more ideas on the sounds of both, all ive really read so far is like the 6moons thing and a few comparisons here...

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 36
The earmax pro and HD600 combo sounds GREAT for me, mellow, musical, very detailed and accurate. I spend some more money on the tubes, and the amp now reaches about 1200USD in total with those tubes. I think it is quite worth it. The combo reproduces the right picture of the recording and even more that sounds musical and super enjoyable for me. I can listen to it hours and hours.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
The earmax pro and HD600 combo sounds GREAT for me, mellow, musical, very detailed and accurate. I spend some more money on the tubes, and the amp now reaches about 1200USD in total with those tubes. I think it is quite worth it. The combo reproduces the right picture of the recording and even more that sounds musical and super enjoyable for me. I can listen to it hours and hours.

Even for rock? Bump for more opinions on HD650's and rock, and GS1k's with smoother more laid back stuff. thanks!

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01
Even for rock? Bump for more opinions on HD650's and rock, and GS1k's with smoother more laid back stuff. thanks!

Yes, it does, even for rock, as long as with right tubes.

ATH-A900 is a better headphone for rock. you may want to check this out.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #23 of 36
"ATH-A900 is a better headphone for rock. you may want to check this out."

I heard those and they sounded like exactly nothing more than watered down, crappy versions of my CD3k's, so thats definately not a direction i want to move in. Any and all opinions welcome for either cans and amp recos. Thanks again!

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #24 of 36
try some diy loudspeakers, they can really go a long way to bridge that $6000 money gap. With a properly treated room (read up on rt60) I think you just might be able to get that sound you're looking for and come in under budget.

parts for this bad boy only cost $1000 and would really put a hurt on any set of headphones:

http://www.solen.ca/eton11.htm

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontpanic
try some diy loudspeakers, they can really go a long way to bridge that $6000 money gap. With a properly treated room (read up on rt60) I think you just might be able to get that sound you're looking for and come in under budget.

parts for this bad boy only cost $1000 and would really put a hurt on any set of headphones:

http://www.solen.ca/eton11.htm

I definately think the problem with my speaker system is the CDP and amp, but the speakers are lacking too. I definately want to get another headphone system going. I've been looking into the GS1k, and I've realized they arent even out yet :O How do people know what they sound like? I really dont like the grado sound signature of the super in your face up front kind of thing because i enjoy nothing more than totally relaxing while listening to my music, but if the GS1k's fall somewhere in between... well i don't know but i somehow doubt i will be able to get my mits on a pair for demo...

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 36
There is a thread by AlwaysWantMore of using a hybrid system. He uses his K1000s setup with his home sub-woofer. This may be something that you need to look into.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...38&postcount=1

Or some combination of this. Since it is so difficult to get at exactly what you are wanting, you are the one that is going to have to get at this issue by experimentation.

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #28 of 36
But if you think along these lines with any open headphone you can combine their sound with the home system itself to come up with a hybrid system sound that may achieve what you may want.

Outside the box seems for you to be the ticket. There may not be a single solution for you.

Quote:

I definately dont think I could deal with the K1000's...

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

I've been looking into the GS1k, and I've realized they arent even out yet :O How do people know what they sound like?

Obviously you haven't researched very much, or else you would know that the GS1000 has already been released...
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
But if you think along these lines with any open headphone you can combine their sound with the home system itself to come up with a hybrid system sound that may achieve what you may want.

Outside the box seems for you to be the ticket. There may not be a single solution for you.

My stereo system is junk though, i dont even have a sub, just fronts and rears
tongue.gif
even if i had a sub it wouldnt be up to par in a hifi system, and i dont want to go spend 1k+ on a sub for a headphone setup.

Oh and i was going by the TTVJ website where it says preorder now
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back