I'm a n00b, how does my crap compare?
May 2, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 44
Well I just got my HD570s in and so far they sound pretty good. They definitely need to be broken in like my HD500s.

May 2, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 44
Dont get grado's for gaming!

My favorite gaming headphones are Sennheiser HD570. Sony V6 are also good if you need isolation. I've heard the ATH 500 and 900's reccommended but havent heard them (*figured I'd throw that in because the search function is down*)

May 2, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #33 of 44
Word of advice, if you get either the HD580 or used HD600, you will need a headphone amp, and that will be another hundred at the least. I have a pair of HD590's that I find to be VERY satisfying and are driven with ant farts for power. The decision you make right now will determine your immediate future in terms of buget. Plop around 200 for the HD590 and be done with it or get the HD580/600 and suffer the upgrade bug like the rest of these people
biggrin.gif
. It is up to you, the HD590 is a love it or hate it 'phone. I like to compare the HD590 to Klipsch speakers, everything sounds lively. That is what I like. The HD580/600 is more of a neutral phone and has reference attributes. But the 590 vs. 580/600 is a Pandora's Box, so I will leave it alone. Most importantly, try to hear the phones before bying them. That will rule out buyer's remorse.

May 3, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #34 of 44
Yeah, I heard a couple times on this forum before I could post that the 590s were pretty bright, lively, and clear. That's so far exactly what I like in a pair of phones. However, like I said before, I just bought a pair of 570s (which are so hella comfortable it's not even funny. I'll know more about their sound once they're broken in.

I guess that's one other thing I forgot to mention. I would like to avoid can amps as much as possible. When I travel to LANs, I don't want to be toting around a pair of phones, an amp, and whatever else I'm gonna need for a pair of superhighend cans.

However, I guess if and when I do get the money, I would like to know what sort of options there are. What I am looking for in a pair of headphones is this: Circumaural, Open, preferably single sided cable, light weight if possible.

With all the n00b bashing aside, I do appreciate the help that you guys have given me.

May 4, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #37 of 44
Audio-Technica, and who cares? They sound good according to those who have owned one, and specs mean next to nothing. It's all about the sound of the cans, not how it looks on paper. (Not an angry rant, just some experience talking.)

May 4, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #38 of 44
[xeno] is a leet clan! congratulations on getting farther in CS then i ever got (cal-m). BTW i really liked the DSP 500's for CS. Just my two cents on the issue ... my CD3K's pick up way too much noise when used for gaming.

May 4, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #39 of 44
Im partial to my V6s when playing cs... although sometimes I break out the CD1700s. I didnt find the open senn hd600s as good for directional ques.

May 4, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #40 of 44
All I can really say is that so far, the 500s and 570s are good for gaming as far as direction sense goes. My other cans (V600s) sucked for that. I could tell the general direction someone was coming or going, but I couldn't tell exactly where, or if they were above or below me.

May 4, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 44
sp1N,

In your case, then none of your three headphones are all that good for music. The two "bionetic" Senns that you have are good for gaming -- but little else. The Sony V600, well... you got the idea.

May 4, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #43 of 44
I agree with you on the V600s, they are generally bland, neutral, and very uninspiring. Music wise on my Senns, from what I can tell, are pretty good. Although I don't really have anything to compare them to.

I guess my question is, what are some good solutions for mid-range priced cans for music? I've heard good things about Audio-Technica and Sony's CD series, but there's no real way to compare any of them without actually buying them.

May 4, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Word of advice, if you get either the HD580 or used HD600, you will need a headphone amp, and that will be another hundred at the least.

I got a pair of used HD600s (plus Zu Mobius cable) and, while they truly sound much better plugged in to my Creek than to the stereo jack, it's not like you require a headphone amp to use these if your stereo has enough driving power. If you are thinking about using these with your iPod or Discman, well... that's quite another story.

Needless to say I'm happy with the Senns, since these are my first decent cans in a long time. They might be overkill for gaming if that's what you mostly do, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back