I'm a n00b, how does my crap compare?
May 1, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 44
Hey sp1N! I am new here too! Also came here to learn about headphones so I can decide on a good set for competitive gaming. UT2004 and CS
wink.gif
I am using plantronics dsp500 right now, they're fine for positioning in cs, but not so great in UT2004, and sound terrible for music
frown.gif
Seems like a lot of gamers are using sennheiser headphones now, and I'd like to get myself a pair of those, but I am not sure which ones yet. Let's share our findings
wink.gif

- [xeno]jaK

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N
Wow, I guess I got some pretty ****ty headphones then huh. I guess, going off of what one of you guys said, I should go with what I like as opposed to what everyone else suggests. In which case I can say that I like my HD500s for their light weight, pretty good sound (they sound a little weak on the highs and maybe a little weak in the base), and their good directional reproduction (I play Q3 pretty religiously
biggrin.gif
). I've heard that the HD590s are good from what I have read on these forums. However I can't really afford them right now (that and I JUST got a new pair). My Sonys, however, I got for christmas and not too worried about how well they sound since I don't really use them all that much.

So, since I have such ****ty headphones (comparitively speaking to what your crazy superhuman ears can tell), what would you guys suggest for super light weight, great sound, and good direction reproduction for gaming (since I'm such a n00b for getting HD500s)?

May 1, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The Sony MDR series is called "Craptacular" for a reason. I had MDR-V700 and I thought they were great, but once I got good headphones I realised how bad they are.

Some audiophile terms are linked from my profile.

BLASPHEMY!!! The MDR-R10 and MDR-CD3000 (which I think you own
biggrin.gif
) are "Craptacular" too??!!
tongue.gif

May 1, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #18 of 44
I have the HD 500 also, i liek their construction, comfort, and lightweight, that is what was prolly worth the $95...the sound was worth the other $5.

May 1, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
true but he has a MDR-V600s and a pair of HD500s
wink.gif

Sure KR, but if HE likes them, we just might by discouraging his like of them, and he'll end up like the rest of us: never satisfied and always looking for something newer/better/louder, etc. If we refrain from saying they suck pond water, he might just stick with them for now, or at least until he attends a meet and later says how badly his current cans suck. LOL

May 1, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 44
Preference: Open (not totally opposed to closed)
Price range: ~ $200-$250

However since I just bought a pair of headphones, I won't be buying anymore cans for a while yet. Again, my primary use is gaming, not just listening to music. Or am I one of the few that actually play games on this forum?

May 1, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 44
Since we're talking used also, you could also afford:

Grado SR325
Senn 600

May 1, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I can answer 1).
The HD 500 sounded really dark, boomy and murky

But don't all senns sound that way
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
But don't all senns sound that way
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not all of them are equally dark or boomy or muddy. The HD 500 is, to my ears, even darker, boomier and muddier than any other Senn that I've listened to recently.

May 1, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
They're a different series - CD vs MDR. I have the CD3000 - there's no MDR in its title.

but there is... the full product name is the MDR-CD3000 and starts with MDR just like all of the other sony cans and earphones I have seen.
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #29 of 44
Hey,

V700 and V600 sound very different. They feel different too. One is supraural and the other is circumaural.

CD3000 actually is MDR-CD3000. It's the one with huge grey earcups right?

Don't forget Senn PX100, Grado SR60 and several other low cost - high performace solutions. They work with very well given an excellent headphone amp or jacks. Also, these offer much more flexible solutions.

Tomo

P.S. I would stay away from Sony models. Upper level models sound very good, but they are also expensive. ... But then you better listen yourselves. You might like what I dislike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back