I'm a n00b, how does my crap compare?
May 1, 2004 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

sp1N

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, just signed up for these forums. I was just wondering a couple things.

1.) I have a pair of MDR-V600s and a pair of HD500s (soon to be HD570s and selling the HD500s). How do these compare to what all of you have experienced?

2.) What is some of the general terminology that I will hear when using the forums here (I've been browsing the forum for about a week cause the admin had some troubles getting me activated or something and I've heard terms like "soundstage" and stuff)?

I guess that's it for now. When I first started looking at these forums, I had a bunch of questions, but I've figured them out so far. I'll be sure to trouble you guys next time when something comes up.
k1000smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 44
I can answer 1).

Both the Sony MDR-V600 and the Sennheiser HD 500 are among the worst headphones in their price range that I've listened to recently. The MDR-V600 sounded honky, muddy and harsh all at once. The HD 500 sounded really dark, boomy and murky, as well. And as for the HD 570, that headphone is so-so even for the price that you're paying for it (in other words, there are better headphones at that same price point as the HD 570).

May 1, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N
What is some of the general terminology that I will hear when using the forums here (I've been browsing the forum for about a week cause the admin had some troubles getting me activated or something and I've heard terms like "soundstage" and stuff)?

I has just acquired a great document made by John JCB which has descriptions of audiophile terms that you will likely encounter on this site. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N
I'll be sure to trouble you guys next time when something comes up.
k1000smile.gif

No problem, just post away if you have any questions. Its open season now, especially with the site's search engine currently disabled
biggrin.gif

Edit: BTW Welcome to head-fi!

May 1, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 44
Doesn't matter how it compares to anyone else's crap, it only matters how it sounds. For that matter, it only matters how it sounds to YOU, not us. There is a rather large gulf that exists between those who love any given piece of gear, and those who detest it. Stick with what your ears tell you and not any of the knuckleheads here like myself.

May 1, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 44
Hey,

Those ain't so bad. I have to admitt they aren't the best, but Sp1n doesn't deserve this sorta trashin'. I think they are very good for starters. Besides, there are stuff whole a lot worse.

Sp1n -

I wouldn't worry too much about terminology. Most of the time, we all have to pray that other people understand us anyway. As a matter fact, I have no clue what soundstage means. So I looked it up on a dictionary. It says,

"A room or studio that is usually soundproof, used for the production of movies."

(And, Ive been around for few years.) I suppose generally those terms you and I would hear is likely to be under standard definitions.

As for what have been said, your pairs aren't the best. But they aren't terrible as we say. In fact, there are some people who actually likes those pairs. I was seriously considering V600 a long ago when other available sealed phones were not available to me. I wouldn't rush off and throw these away. Keep them around and compare with other models. Who knows, you may like them more than what we like.

Most important factors are:

1. What you like.
2. What you can get.

Always audition. It's a motto for me.

Tomo

P.S. You can send us forum messages too. We have auditioned several models of headphones. Unfortunately, I have not listened to some models came out after 2001, but I am absolutely sure one of us have. Don't hesitate to drop us a line. (Some trashing you hafta tolerate I suppose.
frown.gif
)

May 1, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
I has just acquired a great document made by John JCB which has descriptions of audiophile terms that you will likely encounter on this site. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Giving credit where credit is due, Servinginecuador (Doug) did the bulk of the leg work on that document, I added some things, edited it and got it cleaned up for printing.

May 1, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 44
Wow, I guess I got some pretty ****ty headphones then huh. I guess, going off of what one of you guys said, I should go with what I like as opposed to what everyone else suggests. In which case I can say that I like my HD500s for their light weight, pretty good sound (they sound a little weak on the highs and maybe a little weak in the base), and their good directional reproduction (I play Q3 pretty religiously
biggrin.gif
). I've heard that the HD590s are good from what I have read on these forums. However I can't really afford them right now (that and I JUST got a new pair). My Sonys, however, I got for christmas and not too worried about how well they sound since I don't really use them all that much.

So, since I have such ****ty headphones (comparitively speaking to what your crazy superhuman ears can tell), what would you guys suggest for super light weight, great sound, and good direction reproduction for gaming (since I'm such a n00b for getting HD500s)?

May 1, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 44
Hey bro I feel your pain. I also have, but never use a pair of V600's. Got them while DJ'ng back in 96-97 and wish that I would have ended up with the V6's. Anyway I have since own/ed a number of headphones (SportaPro, EX71SL, KSC-35, and PortaPro2) that are much cheaper (sub $50) than the V600's and spank them as far as sound q goes. I actually just picked up the PortaPro2's yesterday at CC for $20!

May 1, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Doesn't matter how it compares to anyone else's crap, it only matters how it sounds. For that matter, it only matters how it sounds to YOU, not us. There is a rather large gulf that exists between those who love any given piece of gear, and those who detest it. Stick with what your ears tell you and not any of the knuckleheads here like myself.

true but he has a MDR-V600s and a pair of HD500s
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back