iLounge confirmed audio defect gone in 5G iPods!
Oct 19, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayn
Nice, the audio defect is the main reason I am upgrading... my 4G is almost perfect but I could still hear it about once a day...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...t-the-5g-ipod/

Those seem like nice improvements, although, it's missing the thing that has kept me from even considering the iPod for now 5 generations - a custom EQ function. Why Apple refuses to include this is beyond me. It simply isn't a very difficult feature to implement.

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs1323
Btw, at iTunes you can preview video clips.. does the size of the preview window supposed to be the size of the iPod?

i'm curious of that too

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs1323
Hello! First of all, I haven't posted in a year!

Second.. what does 30 fps look like? Is it DVD smooth, no quirky feelings of choppiness or anything?

Btw, at iTunes you can preview video clips.. does the size of the preview window supposed to be the size of the iPod?

~Thanks for any answers

a regular film movie is 24fps, and NTSC (what you watch on your TV) is 30fps... so that should give you an idea
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
a regular film movie is 24fps, and NTSC (what you watch on your TV) is 30fps... so that should give you an idea
wink.gif

Wow, thanks! It sounds impressive

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
And your sig just reminded me they have it in black.....that's my favorite colour.

actually it's the absence of color.
evil_smiley.gif

personally, the only reason i'd have wanted a customizable EQ is to make up for the ipod's FR deficiencies. if they've already done that, i don't see the need... i like it F L A T.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 52
Yeah black is absence in the light spectrum, if we talk about pigments its a whole other world, but you could argue that true black is non-existant in nature (maybe in the void of space).

but the black pigment used to make the black Ipod (and all other black stuff) IS a color regardless of if it is true black, if they made a completely transparent ipod and throw it into the void of space then we could say theres absence of color.

ooook way too much color info
wink.gif

Back on topic, the SQ is what still has me curious, users are reporting a difference and it seems to be favorable but i would like to see more reviews with a complete SQ comparison with the other ipods, specially the shuffle and nano

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostWing
Not supprise i think, no more than a SHUFFLE like sound.

But wait.... Isn't the shuffle the one that is supposed to sound the best of all the bunch (pre-5G) ? It sounds good then....
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #28 of 52
Just out of curiousity, do we know what DAC was used in the new nano. That has been out awhile and I am guessing may be the same as the one in the 5 gen ipod. I have this bad feeling that it wasn't been updated
confused.gif

[size=x-small]ipod Nano uses..
WM8975G = Wolfson Microprocessor
the PP5021C-TDF = PortalPlayer chip

ipod Shuffle uses..
SigmaTel STMP3550 chip (does same work as both chips listed above)

5 Gen ipod uses..
???????
???????[/size]

Basically Shuffle uses a Sigma chip that takes the place of botth the portalplayer Chip and the Wolfson chip(DAC). This is why there is a difference in the SQ between shuffle and other ipods.

Interesting..

The Apple choose not to go with the newest PortalPlayer's chip "5024" for Nano, which would have DAC built into it, I am guessing is faster and more effectient(less battery usage). My only guess is that Apple didn't like the SQ from the DAC in "5024"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050923PR201.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back