iLounge confirmed audio defect gone in 5G iPods!
Oct 18, 2005 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

ayn

100+ Head-Fier
Nice, the audio defect is the main reason I am upgrading... my 4G is almost perfect but I could still hear it about once a day...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...t-the-5g-ipod/

Quote:

10. Noise Defect: Gone. In the first of three key audio improvements we’ve noted, the 4G iPod’s infamous hard drive and static noise audio defect is now gone in 5G. Initially obvious in black-and-white 4G iPods, the noise had become hard to notice in color 4G iPods unless using high-end headphones. Now, even using $900 Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pros, the noise isn’t there.

Quote:

9. Bass Performance: Improved. The second of three key audio improvements is that the 5G’s bass response has definitely improved over the color 4G. Audiophiles have previously lamented a lack of “bass power” in earlier iPods, as well as readily apparent distortion when the iPod’s “Bass Booster” equalizer is turned on. In testing with a collection of lossless tracks and the UE-10 Pros, small but noticeable enhancements of the bass are definitely apparent, giving tracks an inoffensively warmer sound. With Bass Booster turned on, distortion is not absent in the 5G, but is definitely lower, and has a smoother, less mechanical edge.

Quote:

8. Piano Solos: Clean. The third of three key audio improvements is what appears to be a complete fix for a “piano solo distortion” issue in 4G iPods recently identified by iLounge readers. Previously, in certain tracks, distortion (a light sizzling) could be heard around the silent edges of piano notes. Comparative testing with one of the sample identified piano tracks ("Bladiator") shows that the distortion has been completely eliminated.

Quote:

7. Video FPS: Over 30fps is Possible. Video playback appears not to be capped at 30fps (frames per second) as suggested by the new iPod’s technical specifications - rather, the iPod’s limitations appear to be bitrate and bandwidth. We were surprised to discover that QuickTime Pro 7 had taken a 50fps original video and created an “iPod ready” 46fps video from it. The video then played back on the iPod at something equal or close to 46fps - certainly higher than 30fps. How? It was formatted for 320x180 rather than the iPod’s 320x240, 30fps maximum, and QuickTime 7 Pro took advantage of its extra capacity for a higher frame rate.

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Damnit now i'm tempted to get one.

lambda.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 52
Four more reasons I'm glad I returned the 4g 60GB iPod in favor of the 5g. Now I'm REALLY getting anxious to get one.

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 52
hehe, yeah, I'm getting it in black. I've had a few white iPods so it's just something different... my IEMs got clear gel and cable so it matches any color.
wink.gif

Now let's hope Fedex deliver mine tomorrow... it's in Alaska right now, and NorCal is relatively close to AK... I ordered a Nano and had it shipped to Minnesota and it took 2 days to go from AK to MN... so I guess worst case I'll get it this Thursday...

--Andrew

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

and the UE-10 Pros, small but noticeable enhancements of the bass are definitely apparent, giving tracks an inoffensively warmer sound. With Bass Booster turned on, distortion is not absent in the 5G, but is definitely lower, and has a smoother, less mechanical edge.

So the bass is only a little improved when using UE-10s and critical listening? I thought 5G was up to par with the Shuffle or better.

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 52
hmmm they seem to be comparing it mostly with the 4g..., im still curious how it compares with the shuffle and the nano

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mano
hmmm they seem to be comparing it mostly with the 4g..., im still curious how it compares with the shuffle and the nano

ditto to that. I'm sure this section will be flooded with reviews once more people start receiving their 5Gs in the coming week(s) though.

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 52
dunno... I don't care much about the flash players right now coz I only listen to lossless and they're kindda too big for them... the Shuffle doesn't even play them.

--Andrew

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 52
With Bass Booster turned on, distortion is not absent in the 5G, but is definitely lower, and has a smoother, less mechanical edge.
Maybe the EQ has been improved across the board also [fingers cross].

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 52
i'm actually interested in the recording features of the new iPod. CD-quality recording capabilities...would give me a reason to get rid of my mini-disc player/recorder, which i use to record interviews, impromptu music sessions, etc.

but it's nice to know the noise is gone...i hear it through the itrip as well as through my etys whenever that damn HD fires up.

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 52
Hello! First of all, I haven't posted in a year!

Second.. what does 30 fps look like? Is it DVD smooth, no quirky feelings of choppiness or anything?

Btw, at iTunes you can preview video clips.. does the size of the preview window supposed to be the size of the iPod?

~Thanks for any answers

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 52
Nice to hear that! This indeed will be my 1st ipod ever. I am finally braking down and getting one of these puppies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back