ikko OH10
Aug 10, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #316 of 426
I was listening last night to Funk#49 and its incredible on the OH10. As someone pointed out it gives new life to old music but in a very natural way. With some heavy dynamics going on its very playful. I also agree that where it is lacking is the cherry which is on top. Its not bad but if they could improve symbol crashes, rim shots and of course more cow bell it would be an end game.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #317 of 426
The IKKO CTU1 cable arrived. This is the 2nd time trying this cable as I was not happy with it pared to the Shanling M5s. The cheaper budgeted balanced cable sold on Amazon had more body so I sent the CTU1 back. This time around with my Shanling M6 pro its perfect. It gives up some warmth for just the right amount of clarity. The bass sounds tighter but with a little less sub bass and the voices are clear. The highs are improved.
I am very happy with the sound. Thanks for all of the thoughts and recommendations as they have been very helpful and kind. See you all next year.

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #318 of 426
I've tried Ikko oh10 and I found them incredibly pleasant. Unfortunately, I'm aiming at higher priced iems, so I wonder what can be considered as upgrade for them in $500/800/1200/1500 ranges?

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #319 of 426
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #320 of 426
I've tried Ikko oh10 and I found them incredibly pleasant. Unfortunately, I'm aiming at higher priced iems, so I wonder what can be considered as upgrade for them in $500/800/1200/1500 ranges?
So you are looking to get something else just because it is more expensive?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #321 of 426
Yanyin Canon
Yanyin Mahina / EJ07M
UM Mest MKii
Oriolus Szalayi

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #323 of 426
Rough question for sure. The OH10 is hard to beat. Instead of price point I’d be looking at sound signature. It’s easy to find sets that are different. It’s hard to find ones that are significantly better.
I'm still blown away at the quality of the oh10. Especially considering it's often found at 135 USD.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #325 of 426
So you are looking to get something else just because it is more expensive?
Nope. I'm very impressed with its sound signature, but I find them lacking timbre richness and details. I'm actually thinking about pulling the trigger on them just to have them in any case, but I've asked because maybe there are obvious choices in under $500 range, for example, then I'd skip them.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #326 of 426
Rough question for sure. The OH10 is hard to beat. Instead of price point I’d be looking at sound signature. It’s easy to find sets that are different. It’s hard to find ones that are significantly better.
That's the very reason why I'm asking. I've put them on and in the same moment understood that I'm looking for something like them. And such a feeling is rare with any audio hardware for me. Mostly it comes to thinking about aspects in which A is better then B and if strong points are worth sacrificing other aspects. For some reason I don't feel safe about going Yanyin (for example, I'm not a fan of Crinnacle, but if even he calls stuff he hears from them overpriced, I'd better not touch them) and If, indeed the next upgrade is only Oriolus Szalayi/oh7/z1r, then it won't happen soon, so I'd get myself oh10 and live with them for a while. Is see mentions about oh10 as being in $100 range. Is $120 a good price for a used oh10?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #327 of 426
I went through the same conundrum. I have heard some other higher priced IEMS from a friend and they do sound great but the OH10 is the first set of IEMs that are the most satisfying but in a non conventional way that reminds me of the first time I heard a live band as a child and was overwhelmed with the authority of sound. The low price doesn't help because you need to find fault with it to justify rolling the dice on better. When I did my research on the next level up from many of the great people here with suggestions I found my self in the $500-$600 range with interesting options and I am sure all of them are good but when I started reading the reviews they were contradictory that it make me realize I will have a bone to pick with those also and then start looking at $1k IEMs which starts to get ridiculous.
I also considered the Z12 but instead tried the S12 and did not like them all that much especially compared to the OH10. One thing that I did find with the OH10 is the mid bass is very sensitive to which tips you use. Once I got the tips sorted the bass guitar attack was just marvelous with some old school RUSH.

I ended up upgrading my home theater front speakers instead which is what I use more often.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #328 of 426
I went through the same conundrum. I have heard some other higher priced IEMS from a friend and they do sound great but the OH10 is the first set of IEMs that are the most satisfying but in a non conventional way that reminds me of the first time I heard a live band as a child and was overwhelmed with the authority of sound. The low price doesn't help because you need to find fault with it to justify rolling the dice on better. When I did my research on the next level up from many of the great people here with suggestions I found my self in the $500-$600 range with interesting options and I am sure all of them are good but when I started reading the reviews they were contradictory that it make me realize I will have a bone to pick with those also and then start looking at $1k IEMs which starts to get ridiculous.
I also considered the Z12 but instead tried the S12 and did not like them all that much especially compared to the OH10. One thing that I did find with the OH10 is the mid bass is very sensitive to which tips you use. Once I got the tips sorted the bass guitar attack was just marvelous with some old school RUSH.

I ended up upgrading my home theater front speakers instead which is what I use more often.
I was just listening to my Obsidian and the Yanyin Canon.
If you like the Obsidian you will love the step up in the Canon. Excellent bass - more sub over mid tho it doesn't graph that way. The stage is as good if not better and the overall presentation is smoother for longer listening sessions. Also the fit is better as well for me.
So if you're looking for a clear upgrade look to the Canon or HiSenior Mega 5P. Personally Canon winns.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #329 of 426
I was just listening to my Obsidian and the Yanyin Canon.
If you like the Obsidian you will love the step up in the Canon. Excellent bass - more sub over mid tho it doesn't graph that way. The stage is as good if not better and the overall presentation is smoother for longer listening sessions. Also the fit is better as well for me.
So if you're looking for a clear upgrade look to the Canon or HiSenior Mega 5P. Personally Canon winns.

The Canon really comes up a lot when upgrades to the OH10 get discussed. That seems like a fair endorsement. It’s on my list of potentials for sure.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #330 of 426
Has anyone here heard JVC FW01?
They might give a little better male vocals I guess?
The Canon really comes up a lot when upgrades to the OH10 get discussed. That seems like a fair endorsement. It’s on my list of potentials for sure.
Yes..but there's also one more thing - IH10 often come up for $120, and Canon don't, so they'd have to be bought new. Is it worth it to spend $345 on for the Canon vs $120 of IH10?
Also, has anyone here heard JVC FW01? Those are supposed to have a little less bass, but a little more lower mids?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back