ikko OH10
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #212 of 428
They do sound nice don't they. In regard to the sibilance and some oddness in the highs I found that also but as I kept tip rolling it got better to where its perfect. I now have two sets of tips for different tunings which sounds better for certain types of music.
What I would suggest is trying the AZLA Sedna tips as they seem to be the best ones that I tried. I felt that it brought balance to the sound but did not trade anything away.

Can you link me the specific tips? There's different types and want to be sure which one.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #213 of 428
Some details on these please?

Ikko branded memory foam tip that is tricky to mount, but comfortable due to its shape and construction. They don't extend much past the nozzle, so no deep insertion with these, but really not necessary. Most medium ear tips are a good fit in my ears these are no exception. Some sound isolation. Can be wax magnets.

As for sound. I haven't tip rolled my OH10 for about 6 months since stumbling on these. That is the litmus test to determine what sounds good to me (no fiddling with the gear = win)

They can be found on Ali and Amazon

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #214 of 428
Can you link me the specific tips? There's different types and want to be sure which one.
Sure.
I settled on these two.

AZLA Sedna short soft.
These gave me aggressive fast bass response which I like for Rush. The regular is longer and is more balanced in the bass but the short is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XG55SH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AZLA Sedna Xelastec
They don't have a short or regular only once length but I noticed that they sit right in the middle and the opening is different.
These were perfect for everything and they are also the most comfortable if you get the right size for your ear. The material is heat activated and will conform to the ear canal to give it a good seal. I am a medium for most tips but I found medium small to be just right with these. They say the material is not as durable but I don't care I will buy multiple tips because this is the first time I have been satisfied with tips that say in the ear and don't hurt after long use especially since these IEMs are heavy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BR7STWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #216 of 428
Ikko branded memory foam tip that is tricky to mount, but comfortable due to its shape and construction. They don't extend much past the nozzle, so no deep insertion with these, but really not necessary. Most medium ear tips are a good fit in my ears these are no exception. Some sound isolation. Can be wax magnets.

As for sound. I haven't tip rolled my OH10 for about 6 months since stumbling on these. That is the litmus test to determine what sounds good to me (no fiddling with the gear = win)

They can be found on Ali and Amazon
So, you recommend these for comfort, not sound? Or are these tips the best sounding you found? What other tips have you tried?

Bass drivers are just impressive. Is it the copper housing contributing to the sub-bass resonance? It's one of the most clean sub-bass resonance I've heard. Bass is so damn clean!

These actually rumble like subs. I don't think I've heard iem rumble in the subs like these.

The way bass hits is so effortless for a dynamic driver is uncanny. It doesn't take much volume to get loud either.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #217 of 428
So, you recommend these for comfort, not sound? Or are these tips the best sounding you found? What other tips have you tried?

Bass drivers are just impressive. Is it the copper housing contributing to the sub-bass resonance? It's one of the most clean sub-bass resonance I've heard. Bass is so damn clean!

These actually rumble like subs. I don't think I've heard iem rumble in the subs like these.

The way bass hits is so effortless for a dynamic driver is uncanny. It doesn't take much volume to get loud either.
I'm 57 years old, been to at least 100 live shows in my life. 25 year career around mechanical sirens.

you wanna trust my hearing?

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #219 of 428
Ok, comfort it is. I like your style, very straighforward. lol

Don't want to leave the impression that my hearing is stellar. Once i tried those Ikko tips, i had enough isolation, felt good in the ears, and nothing with the music sounded out of place.

one thing... eventhough they are made of memory foam, they are firm and rebound quickly

they are also tricky to get installed (for me at least)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #220 of 428
In another thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/slam-required-iems.958182/#post-16400376) I asked for suggestions on an upgrade in the $700 range for my Dunu 2002s, and @SilverEars suggested a by-price downgrade: the Ikko OH10. I ordered a set for $199 from Amazon and have been listening to them (I used my own Auvio tips in case I want to return them, natch). Presently, I'm A/Bing them through a Fiio X7ii with the Dunus (also with Auvio tips) and thought I'd offer some impressions. All recordings used were 16/44.1 FLAC. I'm using the Dunu's stock (unbalanced) 3.5 cable, to match the DH10's stock cable.

The Dunu DN-2002 is a discontinued model from about 2016; they retailed for $379 when introduced, and I paid just under $300 for them in 2018. They use dual 10m dynamic drivers and dual Knowles BAs (Hi-Res certified, FR 10-40k Hz, Sensitivity 106db, 10-ohm resistance). This is both an unfair comparison and a strange one. For one thing, the Dunu doubles the Ikko in both driver count and original retail price. Also, the DN-2002 was one of Dunu's more balanced offerings, while the Ikko has a stridently vee-shaped sound. I upgraded to the DN-2002 from the DN-1000, which I had loved, and the OH-10 reminds me a lot of it, though it's probably better than the DN-1000 in most ways except comfort. The DN-2002 is the priciest IEM I've owned so far, though I've tried sets up to around $850 (the Dunus compared quite favorably.)

Perceived bass extension and slam are actually really good for a balanced-style IEM, but don't quite measure up to the OH10. The bass is a little quicker (like, almost BA quick in attack; I suspect this is a function of the front-to-back mounting of the dual dynamic drivers), more detailed, and more natural. Mids are more up-front than on the OH10 and as with the bass -- but by a greater margin -- more detailed and natural. It's both more accurate *and more musical. Highs are plenty detailed, and cymbals are done right, but overall, the DN-2002 favors smoothness over sparkle. The soundstage is a good deal wider, but imaging is only a bit better, to my ear.

The DN-2002 has MMCX connectors, which I prefer to the OH10's 2-pins. The Dunu features a metal inner and a polycarbon outer shell, which makes them a lot lighter than the OH10. However, that doesn't make them more comfortable to me. Though I have relatively large ears, the join between the inner and outer housings rubs against the bottom of my ear canal, while the cable housings tend to rub against the "spirals" of my ear. The rubber-sheathed cable is very prone to tangling.

Unlike the DN-2002, the OH10's cable is a braided design and includes a plastic sheath at the business end that provides a tight memory loop for your ears. Insertion is a bit trickier with the Ikko because of the memory loop, but there's really only one way for these things to go in, presuming you plugged the cable into them facing the right way. I give the edge in handling to Ikko. Because the cables had different connectors, I can't comment on either cable's effect on sound quality. For the same reason, I'm also not addressing dynamics here. The OH10's platinum-coated copper quasi-custom shells are frankly gorgeous, but they are remarkably heavy. While they are more comfortable in terms of rubbing, I think their weight might make them a bit fatiguing for long sessions.

The OH10's bass is frankly ridiculous. Extension is huge, and the physicality of its slam exceeds every IEM I've heard, even my beloved Radius DDM (and I haven't heard that IEM in close to ten years), and the Ikko probably has it beat in terms of speed and control, though perhaps not detail. The slam is so extreme that it made volume matching difficult. While the OH10 is just as sensitive as the DN-2002, albeit at 16 or 18 ohms (I've seen both reported). The DH10 should be harder to drive, but my experience was that I had to lower the volume relative to the Dunus to remain comfortable with bass-heavy music. Unfortunately, the upper bass blooms upward, veiling a midrange that was already underrepresented by the vee-shaped tuning. It's not terrible, but both male and female voices are less detailed and true than on the Dunus. Despite the Ikko's bass bloom, notes are fuller/rounder on the Dunu in the mids and treble. The treble is less smooth than the DN-2002 and can make cymbals sound a tiny bit hot, but overall it's pretty controlled. The extra brightness does provide a nice shimmer for strummed high guitar strings, but while it's fun, it's not quite accurate.

The OH10 can't measure up to the technical abilities and timbre of the more expensive DN-2002, but it's a surprisingly great headphone. The bass sound is really engaging, even addictive, and the treble is sparkly without being too sibilant. Its soundstage and imaging are at least average, and its construction is faultless. TheOH10 is also just plain beautiful, and it oozes quality in a way the Dunu's plastic shell simply can't. If I had seen these in your ears a month ago, I'd have presumed they cost at least $800. It won't replace my DN-2002, but I'm considering keeping it as a change of pace (and bling). It's been a few years since my DN-1000s non-removable cable broke, but I strongly suspect the DH10 is better, while selling at the same retail price (and that's in 2021 dollars!), is a fair bit better. It's a bargain...though you can probably find a used DN-2002 for as little as $200; if I were making the choice, it would come down to my preference for new equipment weight against the Dunu's superior performance. For what it's worth, I think that perhaps three years of the DN-2002 has shifted my preference away from a vee-shaped signature; that may be affecting my judgment.

Btw, the OH10 is on sale for $159 at the Ikko website right now. That's a fantastic deal.

Track notes follow:

Galactic - "Into the Deep" - Macy Grey's voice is recognizable but sounds much, much better on the Dunu. Everything else is done rather well, if not as polished and coherent as the Dunu.
Galactic - "Dolla Diva" - Guitars are engaging, bass is fun AF. But again, everything is just that bit better on the Dunu. Maggie Koerner and David Shaw voices are recessed and lack detail.
Heartless Bastards - "Only For You" - Surprisingly, the OH10 fares reasonably well on this track, with its more relaxed bass line. The lower signal seems to let the OH10 offer a bit more bass texture. Erika Wennestrom's throaty voice is handled a bit better here than in the tracks above, but again lags well behind the Dunu. The DH10 does a good job of providing space around instruments and between notes, though the Dunu does both better.
Jan's Addiction- "Three Days" - Not a terribly challenging track, but the MH10 remains a bit less accurate and musical. Nice bass, though.
Pinback -"Concrete Seconds" - WIth this less-dense, "math-ier" pop track, the MH10gives its best showing. Clear space is audible between notes and (for the most part) instruments. Transients are handled really well. The bass's impact makes the laid-back kick sound great. Guitars sound great, and Rob Crow and Armistead Smith's harmonies are captured well; they don't seem very veiled at all here. The Dunus are still a bit better, but Ikko comes fairly close, here.
Radiohead - "15 Step" - The bass slam here is just plain awesome, and definitely requires a lower volume. The Ikko moves enough air to make my tympani uncomfortable! The thumping kick drums at the track's start and bass guitar are done really well. The OH10 nearly matches the Dunu's control and detail here. The slightly recessed vocals don't matter so much for Thom Yorke; he's a bit of a mumbler at times, lol.
Radiohead - "Reckoner" - Snares, rimshots and high hats are handled really well, and the cymbals never step over the line. This song's bass line is really subdued for the first part of this song, and that seems to wipe out the vee-shape signature for that portion of the song. Once the bass guitar really kicks in the mids seem recessed again. The sense of space the DN-2002 provides is far better, and the usual pattern of its just being more capable and coherent than the OH10 continues.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #221 of 428
heads up, these are on sale on amazon as a lightning deal for the next 5 hours for $159 as well, in case you have amazon gift cards or cash back or free prime 1 day shipping etc. I decided to go for these to complement my b2 dusks when im in the mood for some 'fun' smoothbrain bassy music and fill out what my earbud collection can't present very well with their open design. originally I was thinking I want to try the dunu zen or wait and see what moondrop cooked up with their Variations but I think the OH10 will be a solid pickup for my use case without having to over-invest in a hobby of diminishing returns. I'll try to give some impressions vs the b2 dusks and mh755s after I give em a listen

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #222 of 428
My memory of DUNU still lingers from when Titan was all the range and I disliked it as the time that I never really gave DUNU another chance again. With such negative experience, $699 price for a DUNU iem doesn't help things either. It's a risk I'm will not take blindly with iems. They can regain my confidence with a demo, but a lot of higher priced ones I won't even touch these days due to lower price area has gotten so good and high area just gets more and more diminishing and not worth the prices. All they do is keep adding BA drivers and EST drivers that really doesn't do anything and has crappy responses. Nothing new, and I don't expect anything new to the typical BA sound. It's all been there, done that, and I only look forward to the prices getting better for performance.

Why would anybody go with high priced iems blindly? If the prices are high, the companies should be required for demo units to be sent out for trial.

Anyway, I now know that ikko is very capable now that I've experienced OH10. And they showed off their capability without raping your wallet. I've listened to lower priced tier Campfire Audio that sounded like crap and $600?! This is why I will not touch the higher priced iems due to such risk.

OH10 will likely be a fun one in any collection if one likes quality punchy bass.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #224 of 428

Users who are viewing this thread

Back