iHome: Dedicated iPod player
Sep 8, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
I have my friend who can modify iPod to be home player in a new box with the following upgrades:
-RCA and 1/4 output
-coax optical output (possible but he doesn't want to toy with it right now)
-power supply source (increases power to use larger harddisk and improve sound to capacitor in output channel)
-replacable storage (just exchange your harddisk when broke down and viola)

Sounds interesting? I know it will sound a lot better than iMod Photo.

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 31
1. Done on many LOD's.
2. Coaxial != optical. It = SPDIF. (Well, technically you could do optical over over coaxial, but why?) And is it through an LOD, or the HP out?
3. What?
4. Anyone can do that now...

This has all been done before...(iLink provides optical, I have no idea what 3 is, though.)

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 31
1. Not clean. This ones comes out right after the output system
2. So you're willing to buy iLink for $2000?
3. This ones will have pre-amp integrated so it can gives much richer sound without external pre-amp. (That's why it sounds a lot better than iMod that just has caps)
4. Replacable notebook or even desktop harddisk? I don't really know those are what people using now.

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 31
Not done yet. We've just decided to make it after discussion. It should costs around 300 bucks for normal build but I asked him to make the best of every part so it'll be 500 bucks for me.

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 31
Not for sale. Just an idea in case someone already made it here. Basically, yes but not 3.5 but 2.5 and uses bigger caps and have pre-amp integrated to increase signal level.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 31
so its basically a dac with a hardrive. I call that a computer, and for the 600+ you are talking, you can buy a kickass DAC to attach to the computer oyu are typing on right now.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so its basically a dac with a hardrive. I call that a computer, and for the 600+ you are talking, you can buy a kickass DAC to attach to the computer oyu are typing on right now.

Mmmm... tasty logic...

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 31
this makes a LOT more sense.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 31
hmm...it seems like i over-estimated you guys. You all completely get the wrong idea. Don't you guys really know what pre-amp is? well, looks like this project isn't worth to share here.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 31
I think it's a novel idea. would be unique that's for sure if you really like the sound of your iMod

I think what other members are saying is that for same/similar money you could get an external DAC with much the same/better features/performance

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Would be interested to know where can I find such a outboard "kickass DAC" and a computer for US$600 ? Well, by "kickass" I would presume this is at least on par with a Benchmark DAC1, a Lavry DA10, or a Stello DA100.

This will be good news to everyone here.

F. Lo

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a novel idea. would be unique that's for sure if you really like the sound of your iMod

I think what other members are saying is that for same/similar money you could get an external DAC with much the same/better features/performance

My interpretation of WindowsX idea is to expand on the concept of iLink, add a better DAC (instead of using the one built-in the Ipod), add a pre-amp and the relevant analogue circuit, and juice up the whole thing with a bigger harddisk, while keeping the great user interface of the iPod, to make a computer independent home music centre.

The concept sounds great, but I am not sure if US$500 - 600 will make it happen. First, tapping a jitter free digital signal from the iPod is easier said than done, and then you will have the space and interfacing issues, not to mention the challenge to make it sound better than the iMod.

Worth trying though, and I would be keen to see how it looks and sounds.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back