IHIFI 760 + 770 (pg 13) + 800 (pg 25) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960
Aug 26, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #256 of 482
Has anybody done a comparison between an iHifi 770 and the iBasso DX50?
I would really like to know what the volume output on the iBasso is like as that is one of the things I like about the 770.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #257 of 482
It will be really helpful if someone compares the SQ of the DAP's on the similar and higher price ranges like: iPOd Touch, X1, X3, X5, DX50, DX90, AK100, etc.

And I am wondering if it's possible to add line-out functionality to the one of the HP outs on this player (by the help of a future firmware)? May be a user can ask this to the Xuelin???

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #258 of 482
I've made some kind of video review of iHiFi770. I'm really sorry for my english, but 770 is really great DAP, but there is not so much information about it, so I've decided that my review is better then no review at all.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXAQ9iBDjXc[/VIDEO]

iHiFi770 looks and sounds great and I can suggest it for looking closer

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #259 of 482
I would really like to know what the volume output on the iBasso is like as that is one of the things I like about the 770.

The DX50 is less powerful than the 770, but the sound is cleaner and more detailed. Soundstage and harmonics are better on the DX50.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #260 of 482

As for me, DX50 is really missing tight bass. DX50 bass is good controlled, but it doesn't have enough power, so many music genres sounds anemic.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #261 of 482
For all you iHiFi 770 owners, I would like to make you aware of a very nice in-ear headphone that is relatively inexpensive that in my opinion pairs very well with the 770's musical headhone out (the HO closer to the pause/off button).  It is a DIY version of the Sennheiser ie-800.  I purchased the headphones from Dasetn (http://www.dasetn.com/ie800-mod-diy-perfect-customised-version_p3328.html?zenid=4c454aa29b9c7a421dcde416d673f681) for US $45 and the cost includes shipping (and a pair of DIY earbuds was included for free).  I have never heard the actual Sennheiser ie-800, but these sound awfully good in my opinion, esp if one considers the price of the actual Sennheiser product (~ US  $800.00).  In any event, Dasetn makes it clear that this DIY version of the ie-800 is their own in-house version, and they do not try to pass it off as the authentic Sennheiser product.  Out of the package (which includes several sets of eartips, a shirt clip, storage case and a free DIY earbud), I thought the Dasetn version was a bit bass heavy, but many who own the authentic ie-800 also feel it is a bit bass heavy. I've now put my DIY version through about 15 hrs of use and the bass has settled down quite a bit.  These earphones have a nice warm sound quality and vocals, pianos and guitars really shine through.  The treble is very nice, no sibilance.  They have a very nice soundstage and plenty of bass, but only when called for; Dasetn claims that sound testing shows peaks at 2k, 5k, and 10k.  Detail and clarity are both very nice.  The casings for the earphones appear to be ceramic (just like the authentic) and the cables are supple and pliable, yet sturdy.  I still prefer the Ostry KC06 with my iHiFi 960, but of all my current IEMs (TTPOD T1E, Penon Audio, Zero Audio Tenore, Westone 2, Coolcore V2, Ostry KC06, and Brainwavz M2), I strongly prefer the Dasetn DIY ie-800 with the iHiFi 770.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #262 of 482
I have i770 and I like the HO B sound. ( the one with more gain and bass)

the bugs:
- need to reinsert microsd everytime I turn it on.
- sometimes when playing 1 album in que, it began to have weird sounding "SSS...ssss.." error sound, after changing track. and need to restart the DAP, which is very annoying.
- my firmware is 2.01 and I change everything to english. but why does my main menu still in chinese?
-after couple of songs, it get's hot.

big question?
Does it worth the jump to ihifi 960? how does the sound compared to the HO B of ihifi770? does ihifi960 have the same annoying bug as the ihifi770?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #263 of 482
Yugopotamia,

Have you updated your firmware with the most recent version (released 7/28/14)?  Unless your unit is defective, this updated firmware should fix your problem with microsd card and the language issue on the main menu.  The update process is not very difficult as long as you follow the directions, which are included in the download below.  Is your problem with the screech occuring with flac files only?  I can tell you from my own experience that none of the Xuelin players I have (iHiFi 960 dual core, iHiFi 960 modified version, and the iHiFi 770) do well with highly compressed flac files.  I had a few flac files that may have been compressed to <level 4, and these files did not play well; however, after conversion to level 6-8, the files play well, without problems.  I have not had problems with WAV or MP3 files.  I have not had any problems with my player getting hot, so I'm not sure what to tell you about this.

In regards to the iHiFi 960, I would certainly recommend the dual core version, if you opt to buy one.  The iHifi 960 dual core sound is a little warmer than the 770, but the soundstage, detail and clarity are better on the 960.  If I had to choose which of my 3 players to keep, I would definitely choose the 960 dual core.  However, the iHifi 770 is more portable and the sound quality is quite good for the cost.  In my case, I feel the DIY ie-800's added depth and "muscle" to the sound of the 770, so I've actually been carrying it around the house more this week.  In all honesty, if you find some headphones that pair real well with your 770, then you might want to wait on getting another DAP.  

By the way, here is the link to the latest firmware upgrade:  http://www.91avr.com/ihifi180.zip  Even if you think your player has this version of the firmware installed, I'd go ahead and try to try the upgrade again.  If you are able to upgrade your player and you still notice the problems with the microsd and main menu, then you might need to arrange for repair/replacement.  Good luck.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #264 of 482
@Jdog thanks a lot sir. I'll update it soon. am i just put the file on the internal memory main menu and upgrade from the setting's button?
yes, the file is flac. i don't know what that file's compression level though.
770 match my tf10 really well, but doesn't have extremely good sinergy. So, I think I will jump to 960 dual core. thanks for the advice.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #265 of 482
Jdog, thanks so much for your thoughts on this very appealing dap. I do have another question you may be able to answer since you said you have used the 770 in your car. I'm assuming you used one of the ho's to feed the aux input on your car's head unit. Could you tell me how well this worked? I'm a little concerned that the 770 doesn't have a dedicated line out.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #267 of 482
update: borrow my friend usb2 pc. windows7 64b also. It is now detected. but, when I press switch, the device froze itself..... so, yeah, I need to press little recessed button on the left side of the device to hard reset it... So far, I've been trying, still no result. I'm contacting this issue on penon and xuelin ihifi themself, I hope to get answer quickly...

It is so frustrating to upgrade this device firmware.... Why don't they just use something simple like AK way to upgrade firmware...

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #268 of 482
  Hi Jdog

I have been successful using a Windows 7 Starter edition - 32 Bit
After reading the PDF 200 times I saw this:

So right click on the "RK27Upgrade_image" and select "Run as administrator"

Also make sure you go into Device manager and upgrade the driver:
Control Panel - System - Device Manager

when you hit "Switch" in the "RK27Upgrade for Image" program you will see a new device appear "Class for rockusb Device" open this and update that driver.

After that I just selected the right image and hit upgrade - Done! 

Not a massive improvement but you can see the difference - it may be slightly more responsive.

Cheers 

yugopotmia,

Since you are using Windows 7, you will need to run the RK27Upgrade_image as administrator as outlined above.  What I did was to download the firmware file onto a thumbdrive.  I used my laptop that has 2 usb ports, so I plugged the thumbdrive into one and the 770 into the other.  Once you open up the firmware file, run as administrator as above.  Since your computer recognizes your 770, then I would guess you have the drivers loaded.  Even after successful download, you may need to push the reset button on the side.  I promise that once you follow the directions above, you shouldn't have too much more difficulty upgrading to latest firmware.  It is frustrating until you figure out the proper sequence.  As soon as I figured it out (with lilrock's help) I upgraded the firmware on all 3 of my Xuelin players without any problems at all.  So main 2 things:  make sure you have drivers loaded (and I think you probably do) and run image program as administrator.  Good luck.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #269 of 482
yugopotamia,

By the way, I think you will be very happy with the 960 dual core; I would suggest you purchase thru Penon Audio.  They are extremely helpful if any problems arise...  Good luck.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #270 of 482
stuartmc,

I have used the 770 in my car on 2-3 occasions.  It has worked very well.  The HOs on this player have absolutely no background noise, so there is no problem with hiss or static.  I have used the player in a couple of ways; I have used it with the volume on the player set to about 30 (on scale of 60).  You will have to decide which HO you want to use because you may like one over the other for this purpose.  I then used my car stereo to adjust the volume.  Analagous to the Colorfly C3 player (which does not have a line out either) with an amp, some people suggest increasing the volume to maximum on the player and then use the car stereo volume to adjust the final volume.  I have tried both ways and I cannot tell very much, if any real difference in the two methods.  To be honest, I will have to play around with this some more, but the sound quality in my car was fine.  If you are interested in using a Xuelin DAP by LO on a regular basis, you might want to consider the iHifi 960 instead.  The sound quality overall is better and it has both dedicated line out and coax out, along with HO.  Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back