IHIFI 760 + 770 (pg 13) + 800 (pg 25) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960
Oct 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #287 of 482
@H20Fidelity
that little trick works well. thanks...

@medoza476
I listen to lcd2f with 45/60 volume (HO B)
I listen to tf10 with 23/60 volume, (HO B)
I don't have Havi B3, so I can't compare. the power of this player is decent I think.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #289 of 482
Thanks for that great info! Although it's old, and I already read it a year ago lol, and it's about the 760, I'm assuming (possibly bad assumption) that most of it applies to the 770 which I am re-interested in. The other thing that caught my eye was your MDR-V6 pairing reference. I recently aquired some vintage MDR-V7's which I absolutely love, so if they paired well with the 770 (again, possibly a bad assumption), then that would rock.

760 was a good pairing with brighter sounding gear, so MDR-V6 works well. While I found the 760 to be rather musical it didn't have the absolute detail I was after in the mid-range, I preferred the C3 , but we did have fun together, I think I kept my 760 about 8 months using it from line out and headphone out. Semi tempted by the 770, but I'd like to hear one first before I jump in like last time.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #290 of 482
It will be really helpful if someone compares the SQ of the DAP's on the similar and higher price ranges like: iPOd Touch, X1, X3, X5, DX50, DX90, AK100, etc.

+1. A comparison with the X1 would be awesome.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #291 of 482
  how do you get it to have alphabetical order??
mine is always on the order of copy time.

If you use a pc to transfer your music to your 770 (as opposed to a Mac), then a very simple and convenient method for alphabetical sorting is the program called Drivesort.  Here, you just open the program, then select the file on your 770 you want to sort (either your microsd card or the internal storage), open the file, select sort and then save.  Takes no time at all and you don't have to keep creating/updating folders to sort your albums.  I have used this program with the sflo2, the colorfly c3 and my Xuelin players.  

I'm sorry, I don't have any of the FiiO X, ibasso, or ipod players to compare with the 770, or I would leave impressions...

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #292 of 482
  If you use a pc to transfer your music to your 770 (as opposed to a Mac), then a very simple and convenient method for alphabetical sorting is the program called Drivesort.  Here, you just open the program, then select the file on your 770 you want to sort (either your microsd card or the internal storage), open the file, select sort and then save.  Takes no time at all and you don't have to keep creating/updating folders to sort your albums.  I have used this program with the sflo2, the colorfly c3 and my Xuelin players.  

I'm sorry, I don't have any of the FiiO X, ibasso, or ipod players to compare with the 770, or I would leave impressions...

When you select sort which do you choose? By date? I tried this today with Drivesort and it doesn't work, the only options it gives me is to sort by size or by date added. When I sort by date added it just puts them out of order again.

Am I doing somthing wrong?

Edit: I got it, I was using the wrong program but with the same name.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #293 of 482
Sorry, I did not realize there was another program called Drivesort.  In any event, here is the link to the Drivesort program that I am using, in case anyone else is interested:  http://www.anerty.net/dl/DriveSort_en.zip

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #294 of 482
Ok, I ordered the 770. I really love the SQ of the C3/BH combo, and it's hard for me to know if I'll prefer the 770's over the combo without hearing it. But after going over the impressions again and finding some other reviews, I get the feeling that I won't be disappointed with the SQ which I am gathering Xuelin generally takes pride in. So that's priority #1.

As far as form factor is concerned, I was hoping for something smaller, but it will be less than half the weight of the C3/BH combo, and a much more pocketable shape, and a nice single unit. So I think that will work for me also. I wish that it had an easier/faster way to adjust volume (like with a knob), but it appears to not be too tricky to do. And at least it has an ability to pause with the power button on the top, so that's good. Overall though I really like the quality look of the player.

As far as UI is concerned, one thing that drives me nuts with the C3 is that I really have trouble locking and unlocking the screen - so much so that I don't bother locking it. So as a result I am always accidentally restarting or skipping tracks etc which drives me nuts. Therefore I don't mind that the 770 locks after 10 seconds, especially considering that it's an easy "+ -" to unlock it (and then use same keys to change volume). So I think that will work nicely for me. And the fact that the 770 has auto-shutoff and auto-resume functionality is marvelous.

I'm the kind of guy that hates to have redundant gear (not counting iems and headphones lol!), and I find it difficult to sell stuff, so it was a bit difficult for me to take the plunge with the 770. But I'm feeling good about it now that I did. Here's to hoping I still feel that way once I get it!

Oh, and the price is just about right, and I don't think that any of the other similarly priced players out there now are going to best it significantly (if at all) in the SQ department. Hopefully I'm right about that. Btw, this (and jdog) led me to looking at the 960. Although it appears to be amazing, it's just way too big and heavy to me for portable use. Thank goodness, because it also costs a lot more than what I was wanting to pay right now!

Cheers

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #295 of 482
Waynes World,

I hope you enjoy the iHiFi 770 as much as I do.  I initially bought the 770 to be a secondary player to be used at work, while exercising, etc.  However, I now find that I am using it at home, often more than I am using my iHiFi 960.  The main reason is that I have found an iem that, for me, pairs very well with the 770.  I think you will be very happy with the power and sound quality of the 770; additionally, you will also enjoy the absolute silence between tracks and when the player is turned on or off (no pops or clicks).  Be sure to test out all your earphones with both HOs to find the sound you like.  Also be sure that your player has the settings you prefer.  On the same screen that is used for Repeat Mode and Play Mode selections, you will see a setting for MSEQ.  Your choices here are 3D, Bass and LEQ.  I am using the LEQ setting, but some may prefer one of the others.  Then you will need to set EQ Sel; here I've chosen Normal, but you may prefer one of the others.  I imagine that your player will come with the latest firmware (put out on 7/28/14).  I think the newest version is 2.02.  The latest firmware did not change the sound quality as best I could tell, but it did improve the speed/responsiveness of the touch buttons and it also fixed the problem with the player's recognition of the microsd card.  Prior to updating the firmware, I had to reload the microsd card every time I started the player, this is no longer necessary.  Oh, by the way, the light display time can be as short as 5 seconds; I just chose 10 secs so I could have some extra time while I was getting used to the UI.  

I still like the iHiFi960 very much; but to be honest, for rock music I can often get a more powerful, fun sounding quality for songs using the 770.  The only real problem that I have encountered with any of the Xuelin players occurs with occ FLAC files that are more compressed than about compression factor 4-6.  The player will occ stall and give a shrieking noise with these files; I was able to change the compression rate on these very few files using Audacity and I've had no further problems with them.  I have not experienced any problems at all with WAVE or MP3 files .  All in all, I have been very happy with all the Xuelin players I have.  Best of luck, and again, I really hope your enjoy the 770.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #296 of 482
Oh, by the way, here is the link to the firmware upgrade (which you probably won't need): http://www.91avr.com/ihifi180.zip.  Although the upgrade process can be confusing at first, just try to follow the steps as outlined and things should work out well.  There is a discussion of the firmware upgrade process earlier in this thread.... 

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #297 of 482
  Waynes World,

I hope you enjoy the iHiFi 770 as much as I do.  I initially bought the 770 to be a secondary player to be used at work, while exercising, etc.  However, I now find that I am using it at home, often more than I am using my iHiFi 960.  The main reason is that I have found an iem that, for me, pairs very well with the 770.  I think you will be very happy with the power and sound quality of the 770; additionally, you will also enjoy the absolute silence between tracks and when the player is turned on or off (no pops or clicks).  Be sure to test out all your earphones with both HOs to find the sound you like.  Also be sure that your player has the settings you prefer.  On the same screen that is used for Repeat Mode and Play Mode selections, you will see a setting for MSEQ.  Your choices here are 3D, Bass and LEQ.  I am using the LEQ setting, but some may prefer one of the others.  Then you will need to set EQ Sel; here I've chosen Normal, but you may prefer one of the others.  I imagine that your player will come with the latest firmware (put out on 7/28/14).  I think the newest version is 2.02.  The latest firmware did not change the sound quality as best I could tell, but it did improve the speed/responsiveness of the touch buttons and it also fixed the problem with the player's recognition of the microsd card.  Prior to updating the firmware, I had to reload the microsd card every time I started the player, this is no longer necessary.  Oh, by the way, the light display time can be as short as 5 seconds; I just chose 10 secs so I could have some extra time while I was getting used to the UI.  

I still like the iHiFi960 very much; but to be honest, for rock music I can often get a more powerful, fun sounding quality for songs using the 770.  The only real problem that I have encountered with any of the Xuelin players occurs with occ FLAC files that are more compressed than about compression factor 4-6.  The player will occ stall and give a shrieking noise with these files; I was able to change the compression rate on these very few files using Audacity and I've had no further problems with them.  I have not experienced any problems at all with WAVE or MP3 files .  All in all, I have been very happy with all the Xuelin players I have.  Best of luck, and again, I really hope your enjoy the 770.

Oh, by the way, here is the link to the firmware upgrade (which you probably won't need): http://www.91avr.com/ihifi180.zip.  Although the upgrade process can be confusing at first, just try to follow the steps as outlined and things should work out well.  There is a discussion of the firmware upgrade process earlier in this thread.... 

Completely awesome info @jdog! Thank you very much. I am going to have a lot of fun experimenting with the different settings and with my various iems/hp's. Stoked!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #298 of 482
Waynes World,

Based on the info available so far, I decided to get the IHIFI 770 as my first foray into Portable Music Player and pair it with Ostry KC06A.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #299 of 482
Hi @jdog, do you (or anyone) know if the 770 supports "shuffle" or "random" playback? I can't seem to find that out. I wish I could find a 770 manual online!

Edit: I did find a French forum and someone said "Random mode works perfectly". Excellent!

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #300 of 482
Yes it does.  When you turn the player on, you will open the main music file.  The screen that opens up will have the following listings:  Resume play, All music, Directory list, Medialib update, Hold recollection.  If you want to randomly play songs that are on the internal memory, then select All music.  You will select your first song with the Play touch button, and then you press the Play touch button again.  This will open up a screen that has:Repeat Mode, Play Mode, MSEQ, EQ sel, Background setup.  Select Play mode and you will have 2 choices: In order and Shuffle.    You then choose shuffle.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to do the same thing with the music on the microsd card; you can shuffle songs on individual albums on the microsd card, but I haven't been able to get all the songs listed individually on the microsd card.  I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back