IHIFI 760 + 770 (pg 13) + 800 (pg 25) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #241 of 482
  Can't be any different than the C3 really. Wayne do us a favour and just do it. It'll become your main go-to I bet. You deserve it.

Yes I do lol!

The touchpad is as reactive as the Sansa Fuze+'s touchpad, it is easy to go up and down but if you're hurry it can be annoying. There is no pause button, just play, if you want to stop your music you have to use the power button : weird.

The folder are disordered even you haver sorted them in the alphabetical order, it's like on the Colorfly C4. To my mind, if Rokbox is developed for the 770 it could be one of the best value on the high-end DAP market.

It looks like jdog addressed your issues. For sorting, after copying folders/files to my microSD card, I use FatSorter to sort them alphabetically (works fine).

RollK2,

The 770 has a pause button, just use a short push on the "on/off" button on the top edge.  To turn the player on or off, use the same button with longer push.  Also, the key-pad self-locks each time the background light goes off.  Until you unlock the keypad, you cannot accidentally change the track or volume, but you can still use the pause button to start/stop a song.  The keypad is easily unlocked by pressing the + key, then the - key.  + and - keys are also used to control the volume.  I have set my background light to 10 seconds to reduce the chance of key pad lock when I am making selections.  I'll admit the keypad does require some getting used to, but the touch pad is quite responsive.  The sound quality of the 770 is very good; you have 2 choices for headphone out, but no true line-out.  With the earphones I use (Ostry KC06 and Zero Audio Tenores), I have not needed an external amp.  The volume level ranges from 0 to 60, and with the majority of tracks on my player, I get more than enough volume in the 25-35 range.  The background of the 770 is very quiet. 

In the "native state", folders in the 770 are stored in order of time they were entered into the player, just like the iHiFi 960. While others have come up with different ways to sort their files, I have just been using the Drivesort app.   This is a simple program that will arrange your files alphabetically; you just open the "disk" (either internal memory or external microsd card) in your 770 that you want to sort, click on the sort key, then click on save key, and your files are now arranged alphabetically by artist.  Once you have sorted files by artist, you can then open files under each artist and sort albums alphabetically (but I rarely do this).  Drivesort is very easy to use and takes only a few minutes to sort out your files. 

Great info again jdog! Thanks.

Hi all,

Does the iHifi 770 support playlists? I am try to decide between a iHifi 770 (130chf + import costs) an iBasso DX50 (256chf) or get an old beat up Ipod 30gb and try to upgrade it to at least a 256Gb mSATA SSD and rockbox - (cost unknown)

I have to say I love the way that the iBasso looks but I like the price point and your reviews of the iHifi 770. Currently I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Reloop RH-3500 headphones as my mobile system. I really want to get a decent dedicated DAP to use mainly in the car via the AUX port.

The spec says it supports 128Gb has anyone tried this?

Regarding playlist support - good question! If rockboxed it would I'm sure.

As far as 128Gb card support, possibly someone has already stated in this thread. But my guess is that as long as it reformatted to FAT32 (like I do with my 64GB card for my C3), that the 128Gb card would be useable.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #242 of 482
ah... but who's has the nerve to try the rockbox 760 version on this unit. As far as I see that's the only option at the moment - I would like to hear that it works and doesn't brick the unit first before I buy a 770 and try it - wife would kill me if I did that :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #243 of 482
Hi iHifi 770 owners (and prospective),

My 770 arrived a week ago and I am very pleased with it. Could it be improved? Yes but what can't be.

I have been doing comparison tests of the iHifi 770 against my Samsung Note II both paired with Reloop RH-3500's. I have let as many people listen to the difference and they can't get over it. I am looking at promoting the 770 here in Switzerland based on the reaction.

A few questions to other owners...
Has anyone tried Rockboxing this device yet? If it didn't work is it easy to return to factory settings? Has anybody who has iHifi Equipment managed to get Rockbox working using Window 8.1?

Cheers

Chris

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #244 of 482
Quick question to all with a 770 here. Are you getting roughly the stated battery life so far?

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #245 of 482
Lilrok,

I haven't tried to add Rockbox to any of my iHiFi players, but I have tried to re-install firmware on the iHiFi 960 with Windows 7 and I could not get it to work.  I believe others have tried to use Windows 7 to Rockbox the iHiFi players and most said they could not get it to work.  I don't recall reading about anyone trying Windows 8.1.  I think the people who seemed to have the most success with Rockbox and iHiFi players were (at least in the past) using older Windows systems like XP and Vista.

Nick N,

I can't really tell you exactly how long the battery life is, but it is probably on the order of 13 hrs or so.  I listen to my 770 at intervals (like at work, in the car, etc) and I haven't charged it very often.  I can certainly say the battery life of the 770 is longer than the battery life of my 960 (dual-core) which is on the order of about 8 hrs.  I'll try to track the time of the battery life more precisely and post again when I know for sure.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #246 of 482
Yep this seems to be a constant issue with firmware upgrades - 1 that needs addressing as XP is no longer supported and 32 bit copies of 7 are getting a bit rare as well.

I recently had an email discussion with Hifi-ET and the MA8/MA9 both suffer the same issue.

Currently I am trying to install a VM with XP as a solution but it's not all that simple now.

I am also chatting so my contact at the manufactuer of the 770 re firmware and they are going to let me have a copy so at least if it doesn't work I can repair it when it goes wrong.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #248 of 482
Thanks wijnands for pointing out the Russian thread on the 770.  I've tried to keep up with this thread over time, but it is a bit difficult to follow.  I have tried to update my 770's firmware; a new upgrade was released about 2 weeks ago.  I am trying to use Win 7, which should work.  But all I get is a message that says "! No set boot".  Has anyone been able to successfully been able to upgrade and can you share any info how to do this successfully?  Thanks. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #249 of 482
I was looking into these as a possible step up from my clip.

What little I can find
- good hardware
- popular in russia
- very good price

however the ihifi site makes no sense when seen trough google translate, can't even seem to find their firmware page. Makes me wonder, if other companies actually hired english speakers wouldn't Fiio have to do a lot more work to sell their products?

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #250 of 482
Yes, you are correct.  The Xuelin site is a bit tough to comprehend thru Google translation, there are references to bears and mice, etc, so I find the site somewhat humorous.  The Russian thread is also quite a mess thru Google translation.  I do have the iHiFi 770 and it is a nice portable player.  The sound quality is very good and there are 2 headphone out ports so you can pick the one you like better with your headphones.  The UI can take some time to get used to, but it is really not that much different than the Colorfly C3.  The latest firmware upgrade seems to be worthwhile (based on the Xuelin website description), I just can't seem to figure out how to get it done using Windows 7.  Here is the link for the latest firmware update (7/28/14) in case anyone else might be interested.  This link also has updates for the 960 (and I think the 760 and 812v2 models as well):  http://www.i-hifi.com/about.html.  So, if any of you are able to get this to work using Windows 7, please let me know.  Thanks.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #251 of 482
Hi Jdog

I have been successful using a Windows 7 Starter edition - 32 Bit
After reading the PDF 200 times I saw this:

(for win7 systems may need to be run as administrator)

So right click on the "RK27Upgrade_image" and select "Run as administrator"

Also make sure you go into Device manager and upgrade the driver:
Control Panel - System - Device Manager

when you hit "Switch" in the "RK27Upgrade for Image" program you will see a new device appear "Class for rockusb Device" open this and update that driver.

After that I just selected the right image and hit upgrade - Done! 

Not a massive improvement but you can see the difference - it may be slightly more responsive.

Cheers 

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #252 of 482
Thanks lilrok for the instructions.  I have been unable to figure out how to get my laptop (with windows 7) to run the program as administrator.  I think I have everything else in place for the upgrade, so once I figure this out I will be in good shape, I hope.  I have tried various ways to run as administrator, but no success yet.  One of my sons is very skilled in computer use, so I am hoping he can give me the info I need.  I also plan to try to upgrade the firmware in my 960 (modified) player; but I already like the dual-core 960 so much, I'm not sure if I'll upgrade it or not.  Thanks again.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #253 of 482
lilrok,

Well, I finally figured out the firmware upgrade process.  The whole secret for Windows 7 (as you pointed out) is to get the RK27upgrade_image to run as administrator.  Initially, I was unable to get my laptop to do this with the file on the computer, so I extracted the entire ihifi180 download to a separate thumbdrive and then proceeded to open the files from the thumb drive. I was able to get the upgrade image to runa as administrator with the file on the thumb drive.  So far, it looks like the touch buttons on the 770 respond a bit faster and the 3 symbols that appear when the player is first turned on now have English subtitles (since I chose the English update option).  There are also supposed to be some other changes, so I'll have to go back and read the firmware update sheet to see what these are.  Thanks again for your help.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #254 of 482
For all of you that own a Xuelin iHiFi player (760, 770, 812v2, or 960), I would suggest you consider updating your player with the newest firmware upgrade.  I can say that it makes the gap between FLAC files quieter on the iHiFi 960 modified version.  The screen image of a disc and the frequency volume graph has been replaced by a static image of a piano keyboard and this may account for the quieter background. The dual core iHiFi 960 was/is dead quiet between tracks, so I can't tell any difference with FLAC files on this player.  I can't tell any difference in sound quality on any of the players as a result of the upgrade, which is a good thing in my opinion.  One of the best fixes of the upgrade is that now all my players recognize their microsd card automatically, without having to reload the card each time the player is turned on.  This makes the player much more convenient to use.  The UI on the 770 appears to be a bit faster and more responsive.  With more time, I may be able to see more improvements, but these are the ones I've identified so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back