iGrado Teardown
Oct 1, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #46 of 59
I am sure it was commented before, but these are way more confortable the the ksc75s. The stock pads are really soft and comfortable though they hinder the sound in many ways. The fit is nice and snug while never being too tight, even with thinner pads thus making thes GREAT gym phones. I might even consider sleeping in them if they dont get to nasty after workouts.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 59
Thanks,sounds like a definite buy .Not a big fan of street style based on bad experience with a Phillips whose band stuck out so far every time I raised my head the band hit my collar and it moved out of ideal ear position.
I had the sr60 years ago and felt they had too much sibilant treble for my taste.Perhaps the igrado unmodded may be the way to go for me?

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #48 of 59
Hey ho, greetings from good ol Europe where the iGrados have arrived, too (well, got them from Todd anyway
wink.gif
).

First thing i noticed is that they showed that Grado sound signature I like. Second, they beat my Senn PX100s right out of the box.

When I changed the thick stock pads and used the PX100 pads, they sounded more clear but the voices were sounding kind of strange, a little sibillant. I didn't like that very much. Just performed the quarter-mod (aka the 5-cent-mod) on the stock pads and thats it. Sound more open than stock now while retaining the comfy and soft feeling.

With overall comfort I am not quite satisfied. Though I like the neck band technology (the KSC ear clip thing never worked for me) I find them not right fitting somehow. They more like hang on my ears and tear on them all the time. Maybe will get used to this with extended hearing time.

Best
Klaus

Edit: The stock cables suck badly

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
Hey ho, greetings from good ol Europe where the iGrados have arrived, too (well, got them from Todd anyway
wink.gif
).

WOA... iGrado... 1 price for all???

Does this mean US sellers can ship it out of the States?

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner
WOA... iGrado... 1 price for all???

Does this mean US sellers can ship it out of the States?

...well, Todd did it. You might want to order there, too. If it is the first time you even get a USD 10,-- discount for first-time customers. Thats USD 49,-- for these, then
rs1smile.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Thanks,sounds like a definite buy .Not a big fan of street style based on bad experience with a Phillips whose band stuck out so far every time I raised my head the band hit my collar and it moved out of ideal ear position.
I had the sr60 years ago and felt they had too much sibilant treble for my taste.Perhaps the igrado unmodded may be the way to go for me?

i still think that these are a great buy at $49. for those on a budget, you basically get the sr60 sound but instead of dealing with an uncomfortable headband, you get to deal with a streetstyle band that also sticks out too far. i use mine almost exclusively in the office so i don't need to move around too much, which doesn't give me any problems with the band.

as for the stock cable, it's still driving me nuts with how stiff it is. i've been consciously grabbing them with the cups whenever i put them on or off so that they won't get caught on my glasses. hopefully a recable will help take care of this problem. maybe sometime this week i'll get a chance to recable them.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #52 of 59
Add me to the list of those not loving the iGrados. My head must be huge because the headphones are so incredibly tight. Almost painful after awhile.

I've tried positioning and re-positioning. Over the ears, under the ears. I even went as far as to put the iGrados on a vase overnight to "stretch" them. Initially, this helped a little, but they soon returned to their head-pinching size. Let it be known, that I also wear glasses, which probably doesn't help matters.

The cable is small, fiddly and constantly kinking up. Taking the headphones off and on is always interesting challenge, with the cables getting caught on my frames or ears or hair.

The sound is good. I wish I could compare more to the SR-60s or my EC2s, but the comfort level is a major hurdle.

Can't decide if I will continue to work with them, try to return them or Craigslist them. Or just live with the poor, impulse purchase.
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #53 of 59
Hmmm i have a pretty big head too. My fitted baseball cap size is 8 1/2 and these don't squeeze my head at all with the stock pads... just to give people an idea.

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #54 of 59
Recabling would be something absolutely to be done!

The comfort is still an issue for me. I think the material they used is to thick and rigid compared to other behind-the-head-constructions like the ones of Sennheiser or Sony. I had no comfort issues at all whe trying them on once...

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #55 of 59
This is definitely a love ,hate headphone.Trying to decide if I want to get it changes every day that new posts appear.I know I cant tolerate an uncomfortable fit and i guess there is no way to adjust the band except how the pads go around the ears.Grado sound in a portable is just so hard to resist.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #57 of 59
 I ended up having to cut slivers of the clips off with an xacto to be able to get them to release the driver.

I'm wondering about on which side of the clips did you have to cut slivers off from. It's surprisingly hard to get a good look at shape of the clips, and I'm trying to damage the phones as little as possible since their my only pair and tey are already malfunctioning.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #58 of 59
I should be receiving my blue "e"Grados today. I'll let them burn in first for initial interpretations, and will decide weather to mod them or not after 100+ hours. I might start with the nickle or quarter mod, or maybe even punch a few small holes in a circle the size of a quarter. I'll check to see if there is foam placed in the area between screen and driver. And might just end up re-cabling myself for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back