Igor's Silencers?
Apr 19, 2005 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cableguy

New Head-Fier
Just got an email from Igor Kuznetsoff (Empowered PC's) about a new power conditioner product he has come up with.

"Speaking of quiet running, here's a brand new product of mine that is outperforming every power conditioner it's been up against, including the big(gest) PS Audio power regenerator. No white paper available at this time, haven't even had time to write proper instructions for these. Can't make them fast enough. They are a serious, full 3-line power filter system meant for "distributed" use around the house (as well as at the listening room, of course). They look a bit like the old Quiet Lines (a single-line filter with a dinky inexpensive single cap in it), albeit they are somewhat bigger physically, but what's inside would be like comparing the QL's garden lizard to my Silencer's T-Rex. They come in 3 types, meant to target their (electrical) location. They quiet your entire house's electrical system and prevent rebroadcasting/redistributing of noise between the circuits in your house as well as preventing your electrical system from acting as a large antenna gathering RF noise. The result is an amazingly quiet noise floor which typically results in a very significant increase in soundstage size and depth, precision, image focus, transient speed and bass power while reducing glare at the top end. If this sounds overstated, relax, this is a very modest claim. A starter set of 3 costs all of $175 during the introductory period (will go up very shortly) and includes one "system" filter for use on the line(s) your system is on, and two "peripheral" filters for lines your system is not on. That's right, quieting other lines in your house results in rather surprising improvements at your system. The third type is specifically formulated for GFI protected circuits, which the other two will trigger as the filtering action of the units mimics the current leakage that GFI's are designed to sense. No voodoo, these have large, high quality AC shunt filtering caps, ERS (as in my PC's) and safety discharge resistors. It's the application, size and quality of the design that is startlingly effective. Individually, the "system" and "GFI/system filters are $60 and the "peripheral" filters are $65, but also for a very short introductory period. They have also been picked up for sale by Todd The Vinyl Junkie and I will not, by agreement, undercut his retail prices, which will have to be higher than those quoted above. Just thought I would let you know about these. AC (Andy Chern) on Head-Fi got a few of the first of these. Ask him about them if he hasn't already written something about them (don't know, I don't monitor the site, just look in when someone mentions I should). Oh, and Steveio too. I sent him a set with his last Empowered Cord order as a surprise (he is a good regular customer and a pleasant fellow to deal with) to send back if he could stand to do so. All that came back was a check, the day after he received them."

Has anybody tried these? I am very happy with his Empowered cords and thought I might give these a try, they certainly are reasonable pricewise.

Apr 19, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 5
this is really interesting. I've got some of Igor's other works (i.e. K-Works Empowered and his turntable mat) and they have been really great performers. If these things are really competitive with the top PS Audio Regenerators I might have to check one out myself. I'd be nice to loos the clunky P-300 which doesn't fit well on shelves in favor of a cheaper, better performer. Anyone with info, please post!

Apr 21, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 5
cableguy,

they worked for me. i was having rf problems with one particular piece of equipment at 2 secondary rig locations in my house. the main rig with all the power amps & transformers did not have problems. i placed 3 silencers at adjacent outlets near the problem spots on the same circuits & voila, no more rf problems. igor says the purpose of the devices is to make system quiet but i found the rf elimination amazing. i bought a 3-pack & was impressed.

joe grado told me to use battery powerd am radios near my trouble spots tuned between channels to intercept & eliminate rf. i have not tried that yet.

i had good luck with the silencers & todd seems to be the exclusive retailer for igor's stuff.

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Took a look at Todd's site but no pics
frown.gif
Anyone know where I could catch a glance of them?

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Have a few Silencers both system and peripheral versions. Even with having two seperate Audio Magic Stealths power conditioners (and lgor's power cords which also has filtering), using a few, makes as much if not more difference than the Stealths by themselves. What articfacts they remove from the signal is astonishing once you have listened to a "clean" signal, much smoother up top, less murky, more focused presentation. Very much the same kind of impovements if I were to get a better power conditioner.

Just one of these worked much better than the Quietlines I had (which are essentially the same priciple). Will write up something more in detail when I have the time. But here are some pics (they are about 3.5x2.75x2.5 inches)
cone013.jpg

cone012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back