iFrogs NoisePollution NervePipes review
Aug 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Windyridge4

New Head-Fier

Hi all,

Today I'm going to review one of my older pairs of headphones the NoisePollution NervePipes. These were my first venture into headphones really, aside from looks and price (crappy excuse, I know) but they were still above my expectations. Also this IS my first review so if I mess up, it's my bad :p

So, the catagories I'll be reviewing them on are:

Comfort

Price

Usability

Audio (bass, mids and highs etc)

And overall impression, with a percentage

So let's get started...

COMFORT

Almost akin to wrapping a pillow around your head. These things are seriously comfortable and despite being over cars and I've worn them for hours without discomfort aside from minorly sweaty ears. However, the comfort comes at a price - the clamp on the headphones is quite loose and thus it is prone to a lot of leakage. Still though these are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Padding  is on both the headband  and earpads.

PRICE

I somehow got them for $20 in Walmart when I was on vacation (despite the RRP of 35) so it's very good value for headphones, even if they are crappy. They are definitely worth it, and can handle a surprising amount of abuse considering they're plastic.

USABILITY

The earpads swivel to almost 360 degrees (345 maybe!?!) and the part connecting the 'phones to the headband rotates about 60 or 70 degrees maybe. couple that with hinges on the headband and they fold into a very, very small bundle (try that LCD2!) such as the image below. They also look awesome so I've got no problem in bringing them out and about. It has a 3.5mm jack so it's compatible for ipods and iPhones etc

images

How they fold, different model, but same way.                My model of the headphones

Audio

Tested using Set Fire To the Rain - Adele, Pachebel's Canon, Raise Your Weapon - Deadmau5 and Master of the Puppets - Metallica just to get a review across a few different genres. All were tested on AAP format for highest quality (FLAV or WAV just takes up too much space on my computer, which I already lack)

Adele - Brilliant bass punch, but quite muddy at times, mids are very recessed but the highs are good and clear andd very powerful due to the vocals. Has a soundstage of maybe 7th row as it seems quite far forward. 

Pachelbel - Mids are definitely recessed the plucking of the strings is not clear and the sound is quite muddy but again the highs are good. soundstage seems a bit closer maybe 5th row?

Deadmau5 - Highs are again very good, and the punch of the bass is simply phenomonal,despite being muddy, these bass could almost register on a seismograph if EQ'd properly. soundstage is again close, about the same as the others

Metallica - Vocals a bit of a mess as most of Kurts vocals aren't normally high, guitars guitars are overpowered by bass again. The melodic part the guitar was really good due until the bass swamped it out again :\

Overall Impression

My overall impressions of these headphones are mixed - its extremely bass heavy at times but the highs are good and true. For value of money I personally think these are brilliant, despite the fact that true audiophiles would probably go hungry than use them. These are definitely basshead headphones and in my opinion I'd give them a not too shabby 65 out of 100

I hope you've enjoyed my review and if you'd like to purchase the headphones the link is below

http://ifrogz.com/product/EP-NP

Many thanks,

Windyridge 4

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review. They look ok to me (im picky when it comes to headphone looks) and its the first time i hear about this brand. But hey, for $20 what more can you ask? 
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 3
@fabio-fi theyres loads of colours for sale, I just got the green ones but they do look awesome I have to say :p and exactly they're cheap and cheerful not like real audiophile phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back